Quantcast

Saturday Feb 10th - Carolina Mountains?

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
You're right and wrong. Cecil, JeremyR, Steve Kaufman, Matt Griffin...anybody involved with MADHRA can back me on this one.

MADHRA was a DH club and we managed to bond a lot of events together and all the venues benefited from a much better attendance and we (again volunteer labor) built and rerouted the course at Beech to get it off slope.

Also, afterwards MADHRA members helped clean the DH course up afterwards. We didn't even have to do that. It was the race organizers responsibility and his staff. His name was Zack.

History lesson on Beech. The guy that made Beech happen for many years was a guy named Mike Green (no relation to me). He ran their ski team in winter and used their ski timing in summer for the DH races. He was a good guy. But Beech has a homeowners association at the top who said he didn't clean up after races. Mike got tired of dealing with it or didn't have time one year.

Zack stepped in and from his bike shop put on an event at Beech. Apparently afterwards, his crew didn't do a clean up job that suited the homeowners and this time didn't suit Beech Mountain Ski Area either.

There were alot of people after that weekend with a very bad taste in their mouth for racing, even though it was our best venue.

But MADHRA...we had nothing to do with the promoter. We just helped cut the DH, advertise it as part of the series and donate some prizes to help the riders out. We didn't put the event on.

:poster_oops:
He is right about this. That was the best race course we ever made for that season too. It was a sad day when we lost her....:disgust1:

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
beech?
or even, hawksnest?
I could see Hawksnest wanting to do something. The only problem is the run down the Mt. would only be :40 sec for the fast guys. Not worth putting the time into.

We need to put all our local (SC and NC) focus in one Ski Resort that is welling to step up like Snowshoe, and all the big bike resorts up North. If we spread our focus to thin at different resorts we will never see one resort down here in the South make it with Mt. Riding. Think if we all decided to focus on one resort that is welling to work with us and be open on the weekends for us to ride. We could have more trails built in time to ride this year. If not, I don't see any of them having anything nice anytime soon. Its all about man power here and if we go to one resort and say we have free worker to build that will help get the job done.

Thoughts? I think we need to start a new thread to focus on this..... We can take that to the Ski resorts.

MTB_Rob_NC

What do I have to do to get you in this car TODAY?
Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
:shocked:
I could see Hawksnest wanting to do something. The only problem is the run down the Mt. would only be :40 sec for the fast guys. Not worth putting the time into.

We need to put all our local (SC and NC) focus in one Ski Resort that is welling to step up like Snowshoe, and all the big bike resorts up North. If we spread our focus to thin at different resorts we will never see one resort down here in the South make it with Mt. Riding. Think if we all decided to focus on one resort that is welling to work with us and be open on the weekends for us to ride. We could have more trails built in time to ride this year. If not, I don't see any of them having anything nice anytime soon. Its all about man power here and if we go to one resort and say we have free worker to build that will help get the job done.
There are no "Major" ski resorts south of Snowshoe, that is part of the problem. In addition, every big resort that has catered to bikes is pretty much an IntraWest property.

A Windrock example would be more realistic this far south. Maybe improving a road at BrownMountain to make shuttling to the top of #1 or #9 a reality without a full on off road rig?

Isn't there also a dedicated "OFF road Park" some where in SC that caters to ATV's 4 wheelers and the such?

I think we need to start a new thread to focus on this..... We can take that to the Ski resorts.
I can't do everything

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
Just suggestion to put together a proposal and shop it around.
If not Sugar one of the Mountains will buy into it. Once that happens and a successful programs takes off the others will follow.
I remember when I was a youngster at ASU, Sugar decided against snowboarding (yes i'm THAT old) so everyone ended up at Beech. It didn't take long for them to change that.

Also working through a club doesn't hurt. It provides some reassurance that everyones in it for the long haul.

But I'm sure you guys already know of this.
just thought i'd throw a few ideas out there

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
:shocked:

There are no "Major" ski resorts south of Snowshoe, that is part of the problem. In addition, every big resort that has catered to bikes is pretty much an IntraWest property.

A Windrock example would be more realistic this far south. Maybe improving a road at BrownMountain to make shuttling to the top of #1 or #9 a reality without a full on off road rig?

Isn't there also a dedicated "OFF road Park" some where in SC that caters to ATV's 4 wheelers and the such?

I can't do everything
What the F are you talking about? We have plenty of resorts that would be great. Have you ever been any of the resorts in NC to ride? Not talking about skiing here ether. Wolf was so fun when we had it. We had 3 runs to do, now that the runs were low 2 min runs for us fast guys. We would get 20+ runs in the 3 practice hours we had before a race. I could not think how many runs we could get in one full day. Beach's run was about 3.5 to 4 mins to run it. No life though. Sugar would have the longest runs out of the big 3 down here, but their Fing lift sucks a$$. Wolf is our best please to focus on right now to have anything close to SnowShoe. Yes you are right no Snowshoe, but to have a place hour and a half away or 30mins from Ashville will have more Mt. traffic there. Better money for the resort, witch means more chances of us building what we want.

There is no place like Windrock in NC and SC that would have a nice road to shuttle up. It has to be one of the smaller Ski resorts. Rob Butch, Jeremy, Matt, a few others, and I have been trying to get a place like this for years now. Don't you think we would have already thought of all the places around us?

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Just suggestion to put together a proposal and shop it around.
If not Sugar one of the Mountains will buy into it. Once that happens and a successful programs takes off the others will follow.
I remember when I was a youngster at ASU, Sugar decided against snowboarding (yes i'm THAT old) so everyone ended up at Beech. It didn't take long for them to change that.

Also working through a club doesn't hurt. It provides some reassurance that everyones in it for the long haul.

But I'm sure you guys already know of this.
just thought i'd throw a few ideas out there
Dude, I remember that too.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Maybe improving a road at BrownMountain to make shuttling to the top of #1 or #9 a reality without a full on off road rig?
Man.......is trial #1 awesome or what? We hit that after the Ras****ry/Gre****wn/Rai**rs to Had**ys shuttle and the scramble up the boulder field damn nearly killed me. But the ride down.......woah!!! That would be a fun race right there.....its all you can do to hang onto the bars as you pummel through the sandy rocks. Damn, Rob......now you got me wanting to go rip Brown Mtn. :monkey:

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
Man.......is trial #1 awesome or what? We hit that after the Ras****ry/Gre****wn/Rai**rs to Had**ys shuttle and the scramble up the boulder field damn nearly killed me. But the ride down.......woah!!! That would be a fun race right there.....its all you can do to hang onto the bars as you pummel through the sandy rocks. Damn, Rob......now you got me wanting to go rip Brown Mtn. :monkey:

Really? I climbed up #1 once. Honestly it was ROUGH, but a fun climb because it was pretty technical. Then we did a whole bunch of trails near the top, then went down #9 which was INCREDIBLE.

So regardless a good road to the top (where #1 and #9 start) would make for a badarse place to be. Just watch out for the ORVs and stuff.

Greyhound

Trail Rat
Jul 8, 2002
Alamance County, NC
Really? I climbed up #1 once. Honestly it was ROUGH, but a fun climb because it was pretty technical. Then we did a whole bunch of trails near the top, then went down #9 which was INCREDIBLE.

So regardless a good road to the top (where #1 and #9 start) would make for a badarse place to be. Just watch out for the ORVs and stuff.

OK....well maybe I've got the two confused. Sure, there was a fire road---easy climb....but then we broke off to the right into a boulder field the size of volkswagens....scrambled straight up that for about 1/8 mi. and then came out at a 4-wheeler trail that went up to a rock dome and then, like you said, some trails, and then the most glorious decent down the giant switchback berms for, like....evah. So badass.........

MTB_Rob_NC

Nov 15, 2002
Charlotte, NC
There is a dirt road off the backside of brown to shuttle it, but you still have a 15 minute ride in from there and it's a long shuttle.

Ya looking at the map I probably see what you are talking about.

How about someone just buy one of these and operate it at Brown Mountain? This thing would make quick work of going up #1

r0b

Chimp
Feb 22, 2007
So to raise a horse from the dead :rolleyes:

Rhetorical question for you Wilson's Creek riders; are you SO certain that your favorite trails are "legal"? My money is a NEGATIVE on the majority of them, at least based on the latest Trails Illustrated map (779). And while there isn't any current enforcement happening, there does seem to be movement towards making the trails better marked Remember the trail stringing a couple years ago? That wasn't some kid who lost his kite, that was to measure trail. And Holly Springs trail (273 on the map) comes to mind: AKA S.H. Some work to make that a loop and a new bench cut at the bottom to avoid the last steep pitch. And is anyone really going to contact the FS management to get permission to work on a trail that doesn't even exist (on the map at least)?

While some trail names mentioned on this forum have been changed (i.e. are nicknames) to protect the innocent, others used are what is printed on the map and are marked not open to bikes.

BTW: not calling anyone out (at this time, but I do reserve the right) I'm just saying ignorance to fact doesn't go over so well in a court of law

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
r0b,

Thanks for the inside info. But it is a good time to re-visit this thread because tomorrow is the Trail Work seminar at the Guion place in Dupont. It's FREE...it's normally a 2 day seminar...and if you get a cert that you attended a Woody Keen seminar to show the FS, they're gonna let you adopt a trail.

We in Pisgah Area SORBA have been able to adopt quite a few trails in Pisgah thanks to the "political" tie. You aren't gonna be bossed around by the guy. Come join!