Quantcast

***Saturderp GMT***

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
:wave:

Got my @Toshi on last night and attended a cello concert. Had a lovely night out with the wife. No monocles were spotted but because the event was held in the Pioneers Museum there were pictures on the wall of men in actual top hats. Felt pretty fucking fancy.

Now, work. :(

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
Still cold af out. My cold seems to be getting a little less bad every day, but is still not gone. Will toboggan with the kids this morning, and try riding the fat bike this afternoon.

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
Additionally, we were supposed to get a dusting of snow this morning. That has changed, supposed to get 3" by lunchtime. The nice thing is that it's so cold the snow will stick around for a couple days. Guess I should mount up some proper knobby tires on the spare wheels for the megaderp. Semislicks just ain't gonna cut it.

CBJ

year old fart
Mar 19, 2002
Copenhagen, Denmark
Looking at tiles today. I need a lot of tiles. Getting closer.

Also looking at tires. Bought new tires per recommendation from a local which turned out to be the worst advice in a long time. I get a flat on every ride. Since I am doing a 215km gravel riding in April I think I will go big tires on the bike now and tubeless so I get used to all of it. My wheelset is not sold as tubeless but I don't think it will be a problem especially not with lower pressure. Tried to buy online but couldn't find the parts I need for the deep rims. Going to hit up the LBS around here and see if they are any help.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
16 Freedom Units this morning, as @6thElement puts it... so I drove in to work. Unlike him and his intrepid wife, I will not be riding 30 miles with 5000 vertical feet, but instead will read CTs, MRIs, and ultrasounds because my Bitcoin stash won't let me retire yet.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Bitcoin futures killed the million dollar bitcoin. :nerd:

Morning, another day starting at 4F. A few chores to handle early, then a skinny ride with a friend around lunch time, we are going to rut the shit out of the corners. All of the corners!!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
@Toshi we were just thinking about a 22 mile loop in Buffalo Creek today, clearly not maintaining high enough standards :(
Is Buff Creek free enough from snow for non-fat bikes? If on the fat bikes then that's equivalent to double the mileage, I figure.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
rut roh, this day is not starting off well. I just knocked over my french press and it shattered before I made any coffee. Making a mug full using a melita filter then I am going to go out and buy a new press asap. Riding later

I Are Baboon

The Full Dopey
Aug 6, 2001
MTB New England
A balmy 7 degrees for my 5 mile run this morning, which wasn't bad since there was no wind, other than my nose getting cold.

Lighting technology sure has come a ways since I last bought a headlamp. I've got a 200 lumen headlamp that I've had for 4-5 years. It's bulky and cost me $100 when I bought it, but it works well. Wife bought me a new one today. 350 lumens, tiny, compact, and $50 (free since she had a gift card). Looking forward to some early morning runs and blinding drivers.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Rode again in shorts today. Could have done with just a tshirt towards the end of the day.

Crawled across Clawhammer to Black Mountain, down Black and then did Sycamore. Wild day.

Lower Black is a shitshow of hilarious mud. :rofl:

Fuck yeah!

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
You don't need paper filters.
Makes better coffee than the paper filters too.

Lighting technology sure has come a ways since I last bought a headlamp. I've got a 200 lumen headlamp that I've had for 4-5 years. It's bulky and cost me $100 when I bought it, but it works well. Wife bought me a new one today. 350 lumens, tiny, compact, and $50 (free since she had a gift card). Looking forward to some early morning runs and blinding drivers.
In periods of warmer weather, I occasionally see a guy commuting on a bicycle with lights this bright:

One of these days I need to stop him and ask him what they are, but I'm kind of afraid I'll get radiation poisoning if I get too close.

eric strt6

Resident Curmudgeon
Sep 8, 2001
directly above the center of the earth
Makes better coffee than the paper filters too.

In periods of warmer weather, I occasionally see a guy commuting on a bicycle with lights this bright:

One of these days I need to stop him and ask him what they are, but I'm kind of afraid I'll get radiation poisoning if I get too close.
sort of like my lights. Bar Light is an Eagle M2 max output of 2400 lumens, Headlamp is by bright eyes and has a max output of 1200 lumens

I can fly down trails at speed.

slyfink

Turbo Monkey
Sep 16, 2008
Ottawa, Canada
rode in -4°F (-20° in @canadmos units). It sucked. trails were great, but my cold made it unfun, and my buddy's inaugural fatbike ride was cut short by an unthreaded cone in his hub, that led to play in the cassette, and the inability to engage the pawls. at the farthest point of the loop. i ditched him at a hut, took a shortcut to his car, and drove to go pick him up. punishment for a DH racer taking up fatbiking?!!?!

He also told me that one of our good buddies, and local stava crusher, has the big C. mid 30's and the nicest, most humble guy that can crush your soul on a bike, but thank him at the end for the great ride. Fuck Cancer right in the fucking face. I hope he beats that shit. beats it to a pulp.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
@canadmos When I talked to a guy at Cane Creek about getting my shock upgraded I asked how the trails were after the snow, and he said they were either going to be frozen or a greasy mess. Lower Black being devoid of roots and only a few strategically placed rocks would make for a sloppy bobsled run.

Last edited:

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Is Buff Creek free enough from snow for non-fat bikes? If on the fat bikes then that's equivalent to double the mileage, I figure.
non-fat bikes as it was reported to be 99.9% snow free, due to your demands we extended our ride to hit 32 miles, but failed by only climbing 4200ft.

65freedum units on December 30th in CO was just wrong though.

@Nick hope you didn't freeze in the frozen tundra down below. It was 58F when we left our house at 9:30ish, and 19F by the time we merged onto C-470.