Quantcast

Sauser successfully defends Trans Germany title

Oct 20, 2009
<p>Christoph Sauser (Specialized Racing) won his second consecutive Trans Germany title on Saturday after placing fifth in the final stage. In the overall classification with 11 hours, four minutes and 57 seconds of racing, Sauser defeated marathon world champion Alban Lakata (Topeak Ergon Racing) by one minute and 13 seconds.</p><p>
</p><p>
On the final stage 4, running 100km from Garmisch Partenkirchen to Achensee Maurach, Matthias Bettinger (Centurion-Vaude) won ahead of Markus Kaufmann (Centurion-Vaude) and Lakata.</p><p>
</p><p>
A large group formed at the front, and after a neutralised section, racing resumed with the quick formation of a break of five riders, including Sauser and his nearest challenger Lakata.</p><p>
</p><p>
Sauser was in control most of the day, but said afterward that was impressed at the efforts of Lakata, who never gave up and was not afraid to keep attacking to keep the Swiss rider under pressure.</p><p>
</p><p>
"I wanted to win again," said Sauser, who added that "there was no way for me to be satisfied with second after my last year's triumph." Due to a strong performance on the queen stage, Sauser had laid foundation to a successful title defense on day one.</p><p>
</p><p>
"It's just incredible. I love stage races. Winning an event which lasts longer than just one day is worth much more," said Sauser. "In addition, it's more fun, except for yesterday." He had struggled to keep pace with Lakata on stage 3, but managed to successfully defend his yellow jersey nonetheless.</p><p>
</p><p>
Just as he did during the first three stages, Sauser again rode his Specialized Stumpjumper Hardtail 29er outfitted with Specialized Renegade Tires (1.95) with 26psi and 27psi in the front and rear respectively. His fork's air chambers were inflated to 80psi (top) and 70psi (bottom).</p>

More...