Quantcast
Status
Not open for further replies.

Sghost

Turbo Monkey
Jul 13, 2008
NY
If he works out of his mom's garage, you really think he is a BBB member or that a business even exists outside of his blog and forums?

blue

boob hater
Jan 24, 2004
california
No kidding, but you still have to register a sole proprietorship. It's still a business. Unless his real name is nemassis project, but it probably isn't.
He can register it as a DBA, at least in UT. The guy I sued was doing that.

eg, "Brad Hodges, DBA Nemesis Project Cycles".

Usually the state's dept of commerce has everything on file for tax purposes.

Jimmysal

Monkey
Mar 26, 2010
Vermont
I got no hits from the Sacramento County Clerk's office nor the California Secretary of State's office. I also checked corporate records in Delaware, and no hits turned up. Seems like a fly by night garage operation like many of us have assumed.

ServeEm

Turbo Monkey
Feb 21, 2006
SacTown
I'm pretty ignorant in the business legal things but if he doesn't have a business license that means he's not paying taxes, right?

drkenan

anti-dentite
Oct 1, 2006
west asheville
I'm pretty ignorant in the business legal things but if he doesn't have a business license that means he's not paying taxes, right?
No not at all. Business licenses are issued by a particular city if your business location is within the city limits. Trying to get him in trouble based on his legal status is definitely grasping for straws.

On the accounting side of things, you may be able to get something done. Just take him to small claims court though...that would be the easiest route and it sounds like there's a pretty good case to be had.

Apr 24, 2010
On my laptop
I see this ever growing post about this guy he sounds pretty bad. I found this new guy the other day who seems incredibly great at frame building and he does bmx and mtn bike frames use this guy he is based in Texas willing to make anything and best of all his prices are super fair here is his link http://stoutbikes.blogspot.com/

Jimmysal

Monkey
Mar 26, 2010
Vermont
No not at all. Business licenses are issued by a particular city if your business location is within the city limits. Trying to get him in trouble based on his legal status is definitely grasping for straws.

On the accounting side of things, you may be able to get something done. Just take him to small claims court though...that would be the easiest route and it sounds like there's a pretty good case to be had.
That isn't what I was going for. In Cali, you register your business with the county clerk of your county. The SoS keeps a registry of the businesses in the state. Delaware is a common state to incorporate in due to cost of incorporation, among other things. Delaware State keeps a registry of the companies doing business in Delaware.

If he was a corp, s-corp, or llc, you would have to sue the company rather than the individual. If he is Brad Hodges DBA Nemesis Cycles, you would sue Brad. If he is Brad Hodges building bikes in his mom's garage, you would still sue Brad. This is regardless of weather or not he is declaring the income from Nemesis and paying taxes on it.

I'm not saying that he is or isn't paying taxes, please don't make that assumption. However, if a judgement is filed against him, his tax activity will quickly become apparent to the state and federal government. Just another incentive for him to make things right as quickly and discreetly as possible in case he is doing something shady tax wise (which I'm NOT saying he is.)

mongoose2231

Chimp
Aug 17, 2007
With all this support and advice, I may end up suing him anyway. He did ask for my address again last week so he could send me my parts back. No money though, as he says he put in hours of work. I have yet to see anything that proves that. Everytime I revisit this thread I get all pissed off. ****.

Jimmysal

Monkey
Mar 26, 2010
Vermont
With all this support and advice, I may end up suing him anyway. He did ask for my address again last week so he could send me my parts back. No money though, as he says he put in hours of work. I have yet to see anything that proves that. Everytime I revisit this thread I get all pissed off. ****.
If he surrendered any materials or fixtures/jigs to you that were part of this "work" he did, I'd call it squaresies. If he can't provide the materials or tooling, I'd demand cash. Where exactly did your money go? I call BS on his alleged hours of work, didn't you provide him prints? What is his labor rate anyway?

mongoose2231

Chimp
Aug 17, 2007
If he surrendered any materials or fixtures/jigs to you that were part of this "work" he did, I'd call it squaresies. If he can't provide the materials or tooling, I'd demand cash. Where exactly did your money go? I call BS on his alleged hours of work, didn't you provide him prints? What is his labor rate anyway?
He didn't surrender anything. Nor does he want to show any pictures or anything showing he did any work. I sent him the money as a downpayment and for material, plus I sent him dropouts and gussets and other custom machined items, which cost me in excess of $700. I lost the money, I know I'll never get it back, but I want my parts back so I can go ahead and build this bike.

HardtailHack

used an iron once
Jan 20, 2009
I am in a similar situation at the moment, I paid a local frame builder $800au as a deposit and I sent some dropouts I had sent from Germany, a Kowa 160SS fork(no biggie) and an Acros 1.5"-1 1/8" headset. I ordered my frame a year an a half ago and I too have nothing to show but the money I have spent. However my frame builder has offered a refund and my parts back but I still want him to build my frame so I'm happy to wait it out.

Hope you get something sorted with Brad sooner rather than later, it seems weird he builds such nice lloking frames yet he did that to a Golf.

Jimmysal

Monkey
Mar 26, 2010
Vermont
Lol @ this thread = slander! tag. I thought we already established that it it would be Libel if it wasn't all recounts of factual occurrences.

mongoose2231

Chimp
Aug 17, 2007
an update on the situation:
After Brad had asked me for my address again, so that he'd attampt to send out my **** for the 47th time, guess what...? NOTHING, nothing ****ing happened. Asshole.

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
someone with his writing skills shouldn't be running a business. hopefully you can get something back from him, but taking him to court should be #1 on the list. at least get that done. a win only helps. maybe threads like this will put him out of business so no one else has to deal with his stupidity.

ThePriceSeliger

Mushhead
Mar 31, 2004
Denver, Colorado
I've dealt with Brad before. It was to say the least, an interesting experience. I ordered a frame from him, nothing too special. It took 7 months. I'm still waiting on bars and seatpost shims from him. This was 3 years ago.

Granted on I got my frame in the end, it rode like ****, and bent the original bars.

Edit: Looking for his shop?
http://www.facebook.com/pages/Nemesis-Project-Cycles/153255054710295

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.