Quantcast

Scaners?

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
i want to get some of the sweet pics i have on to my computer but i don't want to buy a digi because i have a realy expensive camara already and a bunch of lenses and crap for it and don't want to start over. So...who makes a good scaner for a reasonalbe price i could con my folks into buying for me??

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
HippieKai said:
i want to get some of the sweet pics i have on to my computer but i don't want to buy a digi because i have a realy expensive camara already and a bunch of lenses and crap for it and don't want to start over. So...who makes a good scaner for a reasonalbe price i could con my folks into buying for me??
i gotta Canon Canoscan5000F and it's got some cool features. i got it for under 50 bones because there was a big rebate on it. i've noticed alot of good deals for hardware usually come from rebates, so they cost you a grip of money at first, but ultimately as long as you remember to mail in the rebate you get the best deals.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
HippieKai said:
I would just get a basic digicam, (3 megapixel or better) and find a cheap used scanner. This will save you a ton of $$ in the long run, no more having to develop pics you only want for digital purposes anyway.

Consumer scanners seemed to top out a few years ago, they're pretty basic devices, so even one a couple years old will do fine for basic scanning needs.

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Also - DO NOT get a flatbed scanner with a tranparency scanning feature. (for negatives, slides, etc) You will be totally dissapointed in the scans. Get a really simple flatbed USB 2.0 scanner. It takes a very good dedicated slide scanner to make slides and negs look even half decent. The "in the lid" type flatbed ones really suck.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
mwuahahahaha

aren't you in college? Most computer labs have flatbed scanners for free use by students.

FYI: I'm pretty sure you can buy a really good digital base that'll take all traditional lenses and such.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
LordOpie is right, you can buy digi SLR bodies that should take your lenses (assuming you're a canon or nikon kinda guy, not minolta or pentax unfortunately). they would be more expensive than a scanner tho

HippieKai

Pretty Boy....That's right, BOY!
Oct 7, 2002
hippie-ville
bomberz1qr20 said:
I would just get a basic digicam, (3 megapixel or better) and find a cheap used scanner. This will save you a ton of $$ in the long run, no more having to develop pics you only want for digital purposes anyway.
most of the stuff i want to scan is black and white self developed artsy stuff. not just point and shoot pics. thats why getting a cheep digi wouldn't do me any good. But the digi base and using my lenses would be a good idea, although $50 for a scanner is hard to pass up. I'll try to find a deal like that. and stay away from the "in the lid" ones.

bean

Turbo Monkey
Feb 16, 2004
Boulder
I've been a little dissapointed with consumer scanners that I've used. They'll do an alright job of scanning, but you wouldn't want to use them for anything serious. I've always had trouble with stuff being a little soft looking, and the range of tones (particularly in really dark grays and blacks) usually isn't all that good. But I'm pretty picky about that sort of thing, and I got used to using professional type scanners at work.

pixelninja

Turbo Monkey
Jun 14, 2003
Denver, CO
I like HP scanners. I've used Epson, UMax and Canon as well, and I like HP the best. IMO they had the best balance of speed and quality.

DVNT

Turbo Monkey
Jul 16, 2004
I was hoping for a thread on Scanners the movie by David Croenenberg.