Quantcast

scary dorado noise...

NOR CAL***

Chimp
Jan 28, 2004
A friend of mine recently got surgery on his knee so he is letting me borrow his dorado because i was in need of a fork badly. Well recently i have been hearing this lound clicking noise whenever i pick up my bike. It usually only happens after long rides but has been occuring more frequently as time goes on. I was looking over the fork and noticed that it has about a half inch of negetive travel, im starting to get pretty worried about the fork, especailly since it isnt mine. Does anyone have the same problems, or know what the hell is goin on?

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
Dude, sorry I can't help you out, but I've never heard of anything like this happening with a dorado. Sounds like somthing to do with topping out, I think people who had this issue with the 888 solved it by dropping the oil height. (The fork was sinking into its travel with no-one on the bike, and clicked when pulled back up) I'll see if I can find the thread about that. BTW, is this Kas?

NOR CAL***

Chimp
Jan 28, 2004
ya this is kas, im not sure about the oil height as a problem. it wasnt making these nioses in the begginig and no oil was leaking so it shouldnt be the problem, but i will look in to probably take it down to the shop. I hope this doesnt get worse.....

Matt D

Monkey
Mar 19, 2002
charlottesville, va
As long as it's a newer model (post 2002 I think), it should be fine. If it's what it sounds like to me, it's normal. Someone will chime in on exactly what it is, but I think it's the small spring that goes with the air assist or something like that.

MikeD

Leader and Demogogue of the Ridemonkey Satinists
Oct 26, 2001
chez moi
If it was my fork, I'd open it up and clean/lube and re-assemble it using only 10ccs of lube oil. I've seen forks with wierd problems in the travel that stem from too much oil inside...something about a pressure buildup, I was told by Orven. (he has a good thread called Manitou Dorado Exposed that shows all the procedures for this.)

It's not oil height in the way a Marzocchi can have oil height problems; the Manitou isn't an open-bath fork. The damper side has to be full of oil to work; you have no options in changing its volume or height.

I'd also take the opportunity, while the wheel was off, to compress each leg independently (perhaps with and without the spring in the left leg) and see if I could isolate which side is causing the problem.

While I had the spring out, I'd also inspect, clean, and re-grease it.