Quantcast

Schrader Core Tool Stories

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
I’ll tell my favorite schrader tool story. One time at Targhee Fest we were in the camper/trailer lot. A few spots away from us was a bunch of bikers (not Hell’s Angels, but trashy Idaho Falls types). Maybe 15 of them. They stayed up raging until 2:00, which was kinda expected. But at 6:00 AM they started up all of their harley’s, and drove around the camp four or five times while revving/etc. I think they were annoyed at being told to keep it down at 2:00 AM.
It pissed EVERYONE off.
So, the next night, during the Drive By Truckers, I stealthily removed every fucking schrader core, from their bikes, and their trailers and campers.
It was SO fun.
And they were SO pissed the next morning, it was Sunday, with nowhere to go but back to I F for enough Schrader cores. One of my crowning passive aggressive manuevers of all time.
WINNING

Anyone else?

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
I only have Dunlop valve stories. I might have to start a new thread if I can get over the disappointment of @rideit posting this non-inclusive thread.

Colonel Angus

Monkey
Feb 15, 2005
land of the green chiles
I’ll tell my favorite schrader tool story. One time at Targhee Fest we were in the camper/trailer lot. A few spots away from us was a bunch of bikers (not Hell’s Angels, but trashy Idaho Falls types). Maybe 15 of them. They stayed up raging until 2:00, which was kinda expected. But at 6:00 AM they started up all of their harley’s, and drove around the camp four or five times while revving/etc. I think they were annoyed at being told to keep it down at 2:00 AM.
It pissed EVERYONE off.
So, the next night, during the Drive By Truckers, I stealthily removed every fucking schrader core, from their bikes, and their trailers and campers.
It was SO fun.
And they were SO pissed the next morning, it was Sunday, with nowhere to go but back to I F for enough Schrader cores. One of my crowning passive aggressive manuevers of all time.
WINNING

Anyone else?
So courageous

junkyard

You might feel a little prick.
Sep 1, 2015
San Diego
I took a couple in high school. I don’t even remember why now, but it ruined his day. I remember thinking it was funny.

mostly I didn’t have the removal tool so a little pebble or seed in the cap screwed on until there is a hiss. Removing the core is just loud. This also gets them randomly and falls out when the cap is removed. Been a long time.

I always wanted to do the brake lights to horn trick.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
We had a magnetic base on a horn rigged up to a trailer plug at a previous place of employment. Endless fun for $20.

Don't have a ton of good valve core removal stories but at my first apartment there were a ton of Navy families, being cheap and 2 miles from 2 different Navy bases. These guys would get stationed out here from all over the place, but by the time they were either reassigned or retired they were making quite a bit more money, so it became a thing to just leave their old shit-box that they moved to Ca with in the parking lot. It got to the point that there was hardly any parking left for actual residents, almost every spot had an old beater from Kansas or Arkansas rotting away in it, but if you dared park in a loading zone or something you'd get a big ugly sticker stuck on all your windows. The management said they had no authority to have them moved since they couldn't prove they weren't still in use, I guess 2 year expired reg. and leaving the windows down during everything wasn't enough of a clue.

Long story short, my spare valve core collection is massive and the scrap yard came and picked up like 3 semi trucks worth of cars 32 days later. I moved out about 2 weeks after the lot was cleared, and the last night I was supposed to be there I had a few beers at a friends house and crashed on his couch, that night every single car in the lot was broken into. Rolled my hungover self to the complex early in the morning, handed in my key to the manager, laughed and left. I don't miss the apartment.

stoney

Part of the unwashed, middle-American horde
Jul 26, 2006
Colorado
Asshole neighbors in college. Flattened two tires. Week later loosened the cores in two tires enough that they would slowly lose air but not audibly lose air at filling. I don't know if they ever figured it out.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Freshman year in college there was this super annoying kid who would argue with professors over things like the laws of thermodynamics and would report everyone to the RAs. One drunken night s bunch of us were able to pick up and slide his car between two poles that was impossible to drive away from. He could have gotten a bunch of people to help him slide it out but everyone hated him so he had to pay a tow truck to drag it out.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Freshman year in college there was this super annoying kid who would argue with professors over things like the laws of thermodynamics and would report everyone to the RAs. One drunken night s bunch of us were able to pick up and slide his car between two poles that was impossible to drive away from. He could have gotten a bunch of people to help him slide it out but everyone hated him so he had to pay a tow truck to drag it out.
What, exactly, was he arguing about the laws of thermodynamics? Their validity? Their existence?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
What, exactly, was he arguing about the laws of thermodynamics? Their validity? Their existence?

Yeah. He didn't 'believe' any of it. An engineering degree seemed like a poor choice for someone who thought all the underlying physics was bullshit.

When it came around to getting jobs one of my friends turned down an offer because that guy got a job there.

At the end of the day the dude just thought he was smarter than everyone else, including Newton, Bohr, et al.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Yeah. He didn't 'believe' any of it. An engineering degree seemed like a poor choice for someone who thought all the underlying physics was bullshit.

When it came around to getting jobs one of my friends turned down an offer because that guy got a job there.

At the end of the day the dude just thought he was smarter than everyone else, including Newton, Bohr, et al.
:rofl:. That level of hubris is actually kind of impressive.

maxyedor

<b>TOOL PRO</b>
Oct 20, 2005
In the bathroom, fighting a battle
mostly I didn’t have the removal tool so a little pebble or seed in the cap screwed on until there is a hiss. Removing the core is just loud. This also gets them randomly and falls out when the cap is removed. Been a long time.

Also, totally forgot about this passive aggressive move, superglue the seed/pebble in so that it doesn't fall out. They'll refill the tire, put the valve cap back on, and it'll leak again, and again, and again.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
:rofl:. That level of hubris is actually kind of impressive.

The only particular exchange I remember was him claiming that perpetual motion/free energy machines were possible. The Prof simply challenged him to prove it and promised him great rewards if he could. Dude's reply was simply "I don't have to"

jonKranked

Detective Dookie
Nov 10, 2005
media blackout
I can assure you other than fucking with his car I successfully avoided any personal interaction.
sounds like a dude i knew freshman year. he liked to share random "facts" that may or may not have been accurate. we took to calling him trivial pursuit. at night on the weekends we'd go out into the woods behind the dining hall, there were nature paths and we'd walk around smoking doobies, etc. we'd run into him occasionally out there. i remember one time we convinced him to drink bong water.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Lemme guess. Conservative Christian type?

I forget exactly how it goes, but there is some kind of fundie "logic" that some perceived breakdown or inconsistency in some part of thermodynamics "proves" God, or some such.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
So, squeeb, do big jet airplane tires just use a standard ‘ol schrader valve, or something special?
You jest, but the standard is schrader. An aircraft mechanic who wishes to live long enough to die of some chemical induced cancer removes the valve before removing the wheel assembly. If I were in the habit of keeping them, I'd probably have hundreds by now.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado

I forget exactly how it goes, but there is some kind of fundie "logic" that some perceived breakdown or inconsistency in some part of thermodynamics "proves" God, or some such.
I find it amusing that religious people love to declare that faith is belief without proof, yet desperately try to find proof wherever they can.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle

I would assume so but back then I had zero conversations about religion or politics. But in retrospect that was a very conservative university. I never was involved with the school socially and only knew a few of my classmates. I moved off campus after freshman year and hung out with the weirdos from the liberal arts state school on the other side of town where the male to female ratio worked a lot better in my favor.

Fun fact: I think HAB's grandfather was my EE101 professor.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Someone blasting loud dubstep and revving his engine in a new M5 with a large Brazzers sticker in the rear window parked illegally in front of my house a while back. I may have tossed a handful of pennies into his exhaust pipe. I bet that sounded great.