Quantcast

screw the double

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
After my first real ride on my new roadie, I know I'm no where near ready for a double. Hell - I want my triple and my 11-34 mountain cassette. Damnit if I didn't have to walk my bike up 2 climbs tonight :dead: I've got a loooong way to go... but I've added a new word to my vocabulary - "Humility" Walking your ROAD bike (for non mechanical reasons) has a way of humbling you.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Triple? Geez, what's wrong with you people?

But I have to ask... what are you climbing that you're not able to do in 30-25? It it just tiring or does it hurt?

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
LordOpie said:
But I have to ask... what are you climbing that you're not able to do in 30-25? It it just tiring or does it hurt?
Short steep stuff. I get worn out and don't have the strength to spin when seated. I can spin out of the saddle, but that's hard aerobically.

I just gotta get used to the bike... the gearing, pacing myself, etc. I'm used to spinning 22-34 seated on my mountain bike. This road bike thing is a whole new world to me.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
jacksonpt said:
Short steep stuff. I get worn out and don't have the strength to spin when seated. I can spin out of the saddle, but that's hard aerobically.

I just gotta get used to the bike... the gearing, pacing myself, etc. I'm used to spinning 22-34 seated on my mountain bike. This road bike thing is a whole new world to me.
Is Vestal Near Binghamton? If so there are some steeeeep ass hills in that area.

I hit a long climb last weekend that my road gearing of 30/26 was not low enough to spin in. Plenty of gear for riding out of the saddle but not enough to spin in the saddle. I ride road to train for MTB where I can spin on any long climb that has enough traction to climb. Next Iime I see that hill I'll have an XT cassette on the road bike.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Westy said:
Is Vestal Near Binghamton? If so there are some steeeeep ass hills in that area.
yea, next town over. I'm riding the hills that the local roadie club races. They're friggin NUTS!

This is one... I rode part of this last night

This is the other... haven't tried this one on the road bike yet.

Both are right at the end of my driveway. There are some other significantly shorter, significantly steeper climbs in my neighborhood too - but I don't have profiles for those.

Wumpus

makes avatars better
Dec 25, 2003
Six Shooter Junction
jacksonpt said:
yea, next town over. I'm riding the hills that the local roadie club races. They're friggin NUTS!

This is one... I rode part of this last night

This is the other... haven't tried this one on the road bike yet.
[img]

Both are right at the end of my driveway. There are some other significantly shorter, significantly steeper climbs in my neighborhood too - but I don't have profiles for those.[/QUOTE]

Is that miles at the bottom?

PonySoldier

Monkey
May 5, 2004
Woodland Park Colorado
Westy said:

I hit a long climb last weekend that my road gearing of 30/26 was not low enough to spin in. Plenty of gear for riding out of the saddle but not enough to spin in the saddle. I ride road to train for MTB where I can spin on any long climb that has enough traction to climb. Next Iime I see that hill I'll have an XT cassette on the road bike.

I changed my 12-26 for an IRD 12-28 Road Elite and in conjunction with the TRIPLE has made a major difference in grinding up the steeps...I thought about the MTB cassette deal but I'm gonna wait to see as my fitness improves.. :D

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
PonySoldier said:
I changed my 12-26 for an IRD 12-28 Road Elite and in conjunction with the TRIPLE has made a major difference in grinding up the steeps...I thought about the MTB cassette deal but I'm gonna wait to see as my fitness improves.. :D
That's cool... I don't want to TOTALLY wuss out, but I do think I'm going ot need more gearing. I'll give it some time though before I buy anything.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
LordOpie said:
Triple? Geez, what's wrong with you people?

:stupid: I'm curious as well,... not trying to insult, but I've been riding a 39-23 double for as long as I can remember, well since I switched down from a 42, and I can't think of a climb I'd need a lower gear for.

Obviously, there were some rides where I wished I had a 25 in the back, but that's about it.

Maybe it's just what you ride with? I usually go looking for those painful death march centuries with at least 10,000 feet of climbing,... (see Mining country in Superior, AZ; Mountains of Misery in Blacksburg, VA; or just riding on Skyline Drive for 100 miles last Memorial Day weekend got us 12,500 feet of climbing)

Again, not trying to dis the triples, just curious what people are riding that makes them think they need them.

I'd say just get out and log some more miles, and you wont use that granny anymore.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
peter6061 said:
Again, not trying to dis the triples, just curious what people are riding that makes them think they need them.

I'd say just get out and log some more miles, and you wont use that granny anymore.
I don't think we're riding anything different from anyone else... we just don't have the strength/endurance to handle a double yet. I just got into the road scene after loving dirt for 4 years... so I'm used to spinning a 22-34 and trying to keep traction. For me, it's just a matter of what I'm used to.

Also... I'd be very surprised if you double folks woke up one morning and decided your first ever bike ride would be on a double, and you were instantly able to spin that double up every climb in town.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
peter6061 said:
:stupid: I'm curious as well,... not trying to insult, but I've been riding a 39-23 double for as long as I can remember, well since I switched down from a 42, and I can't think of a climb I'd need a lower gear for.

Obviously, there were some rides where I wished I had a 25 in the back, but that's about it.

Maybe it's just what you ride with? I usually go looking for those painful death march centuries with at least 10,000 feet of climbing,... (see Mining country in Superior, AZ; Mountains of Misery in Blacksburg, VA; or just riding on Skyline Drive for 100 miles last Memorial Day weekend got us 12,500 feet of climbing)

I need my triple for century rides that go along the Blue Ridge Parkway but we usually start riding in the valley and descend off the parkway at least once. Did about 12,000 ft of climbing on such a route last weekend in less than 75 miles. For rides just on the Parkway, Skyline or in the Valley the little ring never gets touched, it is the climbs out of the valley that every bit of gear is needed.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Westy said:
I need my triple for century rides that go along the Blue Ridge Parkway but we usually start riding in the valley and descend off the parkway at least once. Did about 12,000 ft of climbing on such a route last weekend in less than 75 miles. For rides just on the Parkway, Skyline or in the Valley the little ring never gets touched, it is the climbs out of the valley that every bit of gear is needed.
Westy, PM me some of these routes, I'm always looking for a challenging road ride,.... granted my road season is coming to an end as the trails dry out and summer finally begins.

We usually just hit the parkway because of the low amounts of traffic and easy access. I would actually prefer steeper climbs that make you suffer a little. Something like out west where you could say, "I just climbed up Mt. Whatever." I haven't really found anything steep out here in VA since I moved here 5 years ago. But then again, I do a lot more MTB than road nowadays.

And jacksonpt, there were no triples when I started road riding, so I just road what I had, and was forced to get used to it. But then again, I come from a road racing background, so I started like everyone else, weak, and had to work my way up. It's all good.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
peter6061 said:
And jacksonpt, there were no triples when I started road riding, so I just road what I had, and was forced to get used to it. But then again, I come from a road racing background, so I started like everyone else, weak, and had to work my way up. It's all good.
ah, there it is then. I'm slow and weak, just like you were at one time (though probably slower and weaker). The difference is that I have access to triples but you did not. Running a triple makes the ride a bit easier, thus I have more fun, thus I'm more likely to want to ride again soon. A double would just be frustrating. So why SHOULDN'T I run a triple?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Ignore everyone, ride for yourself.

You'll slowly get better, just keep up the good work. These people bitching about the double are the same people who probably hop on a ss and all you hear is, "Well I couldn't make it up that because I'm on an ss." :)

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Heidi said:

You'll slowly get better, just keep up the good work. These people bitching about the double are the same people who probably hop on a ss and all you hear is, "Well I couldn't make it up that because I'm on an ss." :)
Oh, I'm going to... like I said earlier... I'd rather have a triple but be able to ride than have a double, look cool, but end up walking all the time.

I just think it's, um, interesting these people who act as if triples shouldn't exist and that they were born with some inherent ability to climb the rockies in 36-12. In time I'll get to where I can handle a double... but for right now, I'm thanking the cycling gods for my triple.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
Echo said:
And take me to that hill in the first picture please :devil:
Hey... if you're serious about it, check your calendar for a free day/weekend. I won't be able to keep up with you any time soon, but I'd be happy to show you around.

PonySoldier

Monkey
May 5, 2004
Woodland Park Colorado
jacksonpt said:
Oh, I'm going to... like I said earlier... I'd rather have a triple but be able to ride than have a double, look cool, but end up walking all the time.

I just think it's, um, interesting these people who act as if triples shouldn't exist and that they were born with some inherent ability to climb the rockies in 36-12. In time I'll get to where I can handle a double... but for right now, I'm thanking the cycling gods for my triple.

Amen Brother, I am in Colorado and I intend to climb the Rockies with my TRIPLE...and I agree with the double statement :sneaky:

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
BTW, you did the climbing weave when it got steep? It is an old-school trick to weave from side to side to minimize the slope angle.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Heidi said:

No one's bitching about the double. Just asking what kind of stuff he was riding that required a triple.

And as for the SS, yeah, it's a fun, kick ass bike. I think everyone should ride one, but depending on the ride, I'll be on my nice big cush FS bike in a second if I think that will be more fun for a particular trail. No need to rip on someone else's ride because they ask a question. Oh and I never blame not getting up a climb on the bike,... it's always MY fault.

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
peter6061 said:
No one's bitching about the double. Just asking what kind of stuff he was riding that required a triple.

And as for the SS, yeah, it's a fun, kick ass bike. I think everyone should ride one, but depending on the ride, I'll be on my nice big cush FS bike in a second if I think that will be more fun for a particular trail. No need to rip on someone else's ride because they ask a question. Oh and I never blame not getting up a climb on the bike,... it's always MY fault.
Chill out dude, it was a joke. People have been harping on him for getting a triple for a few days. For some reason that is a big thing for roadies to pick on. The argument is rarely about the quality of shifting, it's more to point fingers and make fun.

JUST RIDE

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Heidi said:
Chill out dude, it was a joke. People have been harping on him for getting a triple for a few days. For some reason that is a big thing for roadies to pick on. The argument is rarely about the quality of shifting, it's more to point fingers and make fun.

JUST RIDE
I was actually enjoying picking on you for getting all edgy and coming to his defense. I'm all good with the fact that he's just starting out and encourage his continued participation in the sport. Several of my friends ride triples, and we still tease them until they ride away from us on a climb. :rolleyes:

Like everyone else, I will poke fun at someone for something that's different from the 'norm', but eventually I'll probably be riding that item myself. None of us are getting any younger so we all need to make the sport we love easier as we age.

Someday, someone will make fun of me as I ride down the road on the same recumbant that I make fun of today. I'm trying to hold off and stay upright as long as I can, but know that it's only a matter of time before my back goes completely and I need the support.

Oh, and that "weaving when it gets steep" stuff has sure worked well for years. It's also handy when you're just too tired to make it up something that's not that steep. Just don't do it in front of a car.

OGRipper

back alley ripper
Feb 3, 2004
NORCAL is the hizzle
There's no good reason not to get a triple but there are other options. I run a Campy record 39/53 double but with a medium cage derailluer and a 29 tooth lowest gear. A 39/29 is pretty damn low and allows me to drag my butt up the steepest climbs in the Bay Area. And yeah you know I'm spinnin' and grinnin' when my buddies are killing themselves with their 23's or 25's.

Or you can get a compact crank to give you a front ring smaller than a 39.

But once you get used to it, you'll be surprised how you can push bigger gears on a road bike. It's a different kind of pain.

Pau11y

Turbo Monkey
I don't spin when I climb. I just did my first Rabbit Ears Pass (5-7% for about 7 miles going from about 7200 or 7500 up to about 9500 or 9700) this year and average cadence is around 50-60 rpms. I had to stop 3 or 4 times as I'm just not in very good shape right now, but it was done on a 53/39 and 12-25 w/ a 175mm arm length. I stand on the mile where it's 7% and the cadence drops to like 40rpms or so.
Do you guys w/ the triples spin at 90 rpms on climbs? That's where I hover when trucking on flats, but can go as high as 110rpms.
Woo hoo.. might leave right now and sneak in a 20 miler :D

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
Pau11y said:
Do you guys w/ the triples spin at 90 rpms on climbs?
Yes.

Lookout Mt. in Golden is similar to Rabbit's profile. I drop to 30-27 (or 24 if I'm feeling good) and spin the whole way up, except when I stand on the steep switchbacks or to stretch/move around.

EDIT: I spin closer to 85.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I'd ride a bit more first. Give your legs some time to get a bit stronger. If I would have had a triple I think I would have used it way to often and not gotten much stronger.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
OGRipper said:
There's no good reason not to get a triple but there are other options. I run a Campy record 39/53 double but with a medium cage derailluer and a 29 tooth lowest gear. A 39/29 is pretty damn low and allows me to drag my butt up the steepest climbs in the Bay Area.
I thought of doing the same thing with my Chorus but I have a short cage and was concerned about too much chain in the gears I use the most and I am fanatical about sloppy shifting caused by too much chain during a chase or something... my former climber had Superbe Pro form the early 80s and was 53/42 - 12/26 and I did ride the Continental divide with that combo, I always felt it was my best climbing drivetrain.

I ordered a 12/26 Chorus but didn't realize the lockring was different than the one I have for my 11/23.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Silver said:
I'd ride a bit more first. Give your legs some time to get a bit stronger. If I would have had a triple I think I would have used it way to often and not gotten much stronger.
Amen.

I'll always run a double for a non-touring bike. If I do anything, it's go to a 50-36 combo. As the years pass, 48-34. If I'm REALLY lucky, I'll live long enough to run a 46-32!!!:D

J

JRB

DBR X6 RIDER said:
50-36 combo
I did that after a long ass 55 miles in the Chisos Mountains over Christmas. I haven't been back to any major hills, but I like the combo around here with a 12-23. I will put the 34 back on the cranks and the 12-25 on when I head to altitude.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
loco said:
I did that after a long ass 55 miles in the Chisos Mountains over Christmas. I haven't been back to any major hills, but I like the combo around here with a 12-23. I will put the 34 back on the cranks and the 12-25 on when I head to altitude.
Let me know how that goes. I'm finding myself rarely dropping below my 6th cog on my 9sp, so I'd like to switch to something that extends the range of the drivetrain.
It's all about which gear-ratios work for you and how you choose to reach that conclusion (you = whomever is reading this post).

I'm just waiting to see what the fixed-gear fanatics have to say about all of this.:think:

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
Bla, Bla, Bla...
Two of my riding bud's have Mountain cassette's on their double Road rigs, it comes out almost the same as my 105 triple gearing. Just a few grams less I suppose, also you look more like a normal roadie.

Just be sure to wear only lycra & bright jerseys & don't acknoweledge any other riders while riding by... :eviltongu