Quantcast

screw the double

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
jacksonpt said:
ok... from now on... unless you're riding the EXACT same gear as opie, you're a wuss.
no no no...

If you *need* the 31 or 34 of a mtb cassette cog, then you should be on a triple or a touring crank (28-38-48). The gaps on a mtb cassette are just so friggin' huge.

Saying "...also you look more like a normal roadie" is just silly cuz I think a dinner plate cog is more noticeable than a triple.

EDIT: I know ET_SoCal was just having fun, but some people do care about looking like a roadie.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
LordOpie said:
If you *need* the 31 or 34 of a mtb cassette cog, then you should be on a triple or a touring crank (28-38-48). The gaps on a mtb cassette are just so friggin' huge.
ahhh, but what if you need the 30tooth ring of the triple AND the 32 or 34tooth cog on the mtn cassette?

LordOpie said:
Saying "...also you look more like a normal roadie" is just silly cuz I think a dinner plate cog is more noticeable than a triple.
lol @ "dinner plate cog"

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
jacksonpt said:
ahhh, but what if you need the 30tooth ring of the triple AND the 32 or 34tooth cog on the mtn cassette?
uhh, I mentioned the touring crank. If 28-27 (or 28-29 with a campy rear derail+cassette) is still not low enough, move away from the climbs :blah:

And there's always mtb cranks down to 22, but I can't imagine pusing a 22-27. You'd need amazing balance to go that slow.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
LordOpie said:
uhh, I mentioned the touring crank. If 28-27 (or 28-29 with a campy rear derail+cassette) is still not low enough, move away from the climbs :blah:
lol

LordOpie said:
And there's always mtb cranks down to 22, but I can't imagine pusing a 22-27. You'd need amazing balance to go that slow.
I pushed my mountain bike up these hills several times... that was a 22-34 setup. Spinning at 3.4mph for 35 minutes baby!

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
jacksonpt said:
I pushed my mountain bike up these hills several times... that was a 22-34 setup. Spinning at 3.4mph for 35 minutes baby!
true. Anyone who cannot or wants not to stand would benefit from spinning a lower gear. I was thinking about the 14% climb I did two weekends ago, standing and doing only 3-4mph thinking any slower and I'd tip over.

jacksonpt

Turbo Monkey
Jul 22, 2002
Vestal, NY
LordOpie said:
true. Anyone who cannot or wants not to stand would benefit from spinning a lower gear. I was thinking about the 14% climb I did two weekends ago, standing and doing only 3-4mph thinking any slower and I'd tip over.
oh, I gotcha... yea, there's no way I could go that slow standing.

ET_SoCal

Monkey
Aug 10, 2001
C-Me Valley, CA
LordOpie said:
.. cannot or wants not to stand ..doing only 3-4mph ...amazing balance to go that slow.
Maybe 'cause I'm a roadie newbie, but I can only hammer standing up for about 5 minutes. In our hills I sit & spin for 15-20 minutes at 2.5mph balancing in a straight line while cars wizz past my shoulder.
:cool:

Reactor

Turbo Monkey
Apr 5, 2005
Chandler, AZ, USA
I've always rode a triple and now that I live in Phoenix, AZ, I'm glad. In fact I just bought a new bike, a Specialized Roubaix Triple. There is no shame in riding a triple in a mountainous area. Hell it's a sign of a rider who is smarter than the average roadie, a person who's main concern is reality, not posing.

The metro area is called the "valley of the sun" for a damn good reason, It's sunny, it's hot, and it's in a valley. The hills around the valley can be killer. I don't use the granny very often but when I need to there is a really good reason for it. There are a lot of with grades of 8% or more, running 5 or more miles, quite a few hills have grades in the double digits. I've seen guys try to grind the big gears and pop, I have a little less ego and spin up the hill in the biggest gear I can spin, smiling.

To make a long story short, If you need a triple, get one. Don't let concern over what other people think deter you. It's your bike, your ride, your knees.

DBR X6 RIDER

Turbo Monkey
Wumpus said:
A couple of year ago in the Vuelta a few riders went to the triple -- more would have if their team managers would have let them. The last climb of the day had some 17%+ grades. Some of the team cars were getting stuck trying to make the climb.
Ah, yes...L'Angliru. If I recall correctly, it was also pouring like a sonofabitch on that climb - as if the gradient wasn't enough adversity.
Those are the kinds of stages that force me to respect any rider (clean or not) that can not only climb it, but at a tempo that would kill mere mortals such as I. They also make me appreciate that I only have a 300ft climb at 7-9% on my ride home every day.

J

JRB

douglas said:
ok so I have a triple but I don't use the little ring, so does that make me cool or dumb??
I'm not sure what could make you cool. ;)

Bicyclist

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2004
SB
I'm relatively slow and even on really steep stuff I've never really felt the need to go to a triple. I just stand up and use my body weight to get me up the hill. Ask and SS'er and they'll explain it to you better.