Quantcast

Sea Otter 2007

ska todd

Turbo Monkey
Oct 10, 2001
I don't think it is any secret that most pro's don't really have a love for the Sea Otter course. I think it's safe to say that Sam can be included in that group of riders. Can't really think I heard (m)any pros throwing out praise for anything Sea Otter related (courses, registration, pits, parking, etc)...well, except for the slalom racing, that was quite a gem for the weekend.

Sam did some practice runs on the course on Friday but was shut down by the officials from practicing on Sunday morning due to a misprint in the "officially" published schedule that the promoter did not chose to correct. Sam was one of the few pro riders to compete in all 3 gravity disciplines (Super D, slalom, & downhill).

Sea Otter is a warm-up event for the season and designed for fun and entertainment. Unlike the XC events where there are UCI points on the line needed for Olympic qualifying, for the gravity athletes it is about interacting with fans, sponsors, and other riders. Sam made the most of it by throwing whips over the jumps and drifting the corners. This is what the fans paid to see him do at Sea Otter and what was expected of him by the company.

-ska todd

ferrit66

Chimp
Feb 26, 2007
Long Beach
Anyone know what Jurgen was riding?
That is so badass. He was doing really well at the local races last year but owning up like that at Sea Otter is just nuts!
Quote from Adam Craig on the super d.""It was crazy, he came surging by me like a rocket in his tuck," Craig said. "He was always in the tuck, except when he went off of the water bars and then got like 10 feet of air and would land back in his tuck."

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
man.... finally back home from the hell i call "sea otter". sorry for the lack of updates... figured there'd be some descent race coverage already on the net... guess not. i'll do my best to keep the reports coming daily at the rest of the major events this summer. just been pinned this entire weekend... showed up at 'otter late, & got pulled a million directions once i was there... once i got back to the hotel i just crashed in bed & called it a day. I'll try & get a overview & photos up asap.

renorider40

Monkey
Aug 22, 2005
That was fun stuff, and that was also my first time at the otter. Cedric is super cool, i talked to him for a little while, cool guy. Slalom was fun to watch and so was the qualifying dj (couldn't stay for the comp). I had an awesome time checkin everything out.

stiksandstones

Turbo Monkey
May 21, 2002
Orange, Ca
man.... finally back home from the hell i call "sea otter". sorry for the lack of updates... figured there'd be some descent race coverage already on the net... guess not. i'll do my best to keep the reports coming daily at the rest of the major events this summer. just been pinned this entire weekend... showed up at 'otter late, & got pulled a million directions once i was there... once i got back to the hotel i just crashed in bed & called it a day. I'll try & get a overview & photos up asap.
Try getting putting more on your plate would ya! ;)

oh come, you know you loved running up the course in the rain and then standing there holding umbrellas over drenched ass racers (not that we were doing anything productive really in that rain). did monk ever cut down the fencing?

DylanDeanDesign

Turbo Monkey
Dec 10, 2004
San Diego area, California USA
Try getting putting more on your plate would ya! ;)
working on it!! :imstupid:

oh come, you know you loved running up the course in the rain and then standing there holding umbrellas over drenched ass racers (not that we were doing anything productive really in that rain). did monk ever cut down the fencing?
oh yah... that was the highlight of my weekend for sure!!!:weee::disgust1: ...well that & gettin mobbed at the utopia booth! :banghead:

3D.

Monkey
Feb 23, 2006
Chinafornia USA
That pic of Kovarik manualing the whoop after the gap berm really shows the amount of speed the fast pros can hold through sections like that. I'm not sure if he was gaping into the berm (most likely), but man is he moving right there. Anyone that has tried to go fast at that point knows how difficult it truly is right there.

No wonder why those guys usually beat me by 10-15+!:clapping:

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
That pic of Kovarik manualing the whoop after the gap berm really shows the amount of speed the fast pros can hold through sections like that. I'm not sure if he was gaping into the berm (most likely), but man is he moving right there. Anyone that has tried to go fast at that point knows how difficult it truly is right there.

As you were typing this I was copying it to this thread...cool.

jvnixon

Turbo Monkey
May 14, 2006
SickLines.com

http://www.sicklines.com/2007/04/17/2007-sea-otter-dh-ds/

Heh, yea i like that shot too.

bizutch said:
I like how you linked a 1600px picture on a message board hahaha :monkeydance:

I pity any 56ker...

FlipFantasia

Turbo Monkey
Oct 4, 2001
Sea to Sky BC
re. hill......I'm a huge hill fan, nothing gets me more stoked than to see him ruling a nasty loose offcamber corner.....but I feel like calling Bullsh!t on him not diggin' the course so just styling.....we all know that rennie rules the big dirty gnarlfest courses and he was able to throw down on this very much not a typical course.....racing's racing, if you're gonna be there, put the pedal to the metal.......especially when you're wearin' the fresh stripes........

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Cannot wait to shoot that event. Dust, dryness, the beach, sunshine!

BTW you guys flooded out in Long Island? Heard the rain got stupid heavy down your way.[/QUOT

Ooohhhh.... Are you going?????????
Nice and large pics coming soon...........
Ya, I will be at 3 world cups this year, worlds, both crankworx, the US open etc. Should be a good year.