Quantcast

Sea Otter Classic Roll Call!

IronJim

Monkey
Sep 26, 2004
Santa Cruz Mountains
last year was a new course too, but i heard that they redid it again this year too.
i think there are supossed to be trials briges and stuff there this year on the course

ito

Mr. Schwinn Effing Armstrong
Oct 3, 2003
Avoiding the nine to five
The Kadvang said:
All you guys talking about how tame the course was last year... supposedly Town has uped the gnar level by a factor of around 100x... no more hardtail or short-travel bikeys this year.
So did they just stack a bunch of granite rocks at random intervals of the course?

I have to say, I enjoy the Sea Otter course. I've always run it on a hardtail and had no problem keeping up with anyone else. It was a fun race and while not too technical it was wicked fast for everyone.

The Ito

anarchyUK

Monkey
Dec 24, 2003
Boulder CO
true it is a left
hey tahoe- whered u hear about the new stuff
have u seen it?
im in dh/DS JX
green sunday/ tuner rail all tld whore

cliffster5

In dog years I'm dead
Aug 23, 2001
Salinas, CA
Gonna ride the Epic Tour (isn't it still on Sat. mantispf?) and either volunteer somewhere on the x-country course Sunday or ride the road century that day. I did the back to back thing last year and the dirt ride was tougher (maybe it's cos I didn't take any pulls on the road century which earned me some berating from my mates). BTW, I rode parts of the SO x-country course 2 weeks ago and they've done some serious re-working and smoothing out of the top of Couch Canyon. It was like riding on a carpet thru that section. On the down side, the rains have left some major ruts on the 3 Sisters making the last Sister even tougher than it's normal self.

mantispf2000

Turbo Monkey
Aug 9, 2001
Nevada, 2 hours from Mammoth
I double checked, Cliffster, and the mtb epic is on the 14th. It was changed from the marathon due to BLM wanting to do a "test" on the use of the trails and the number of riders. Bummer in a way, since I was hoping to be at some sort of "race pace" (if you can call my sluggo-type of riding race pace) for the event. Now, at least I know I'll finish and not be too ashamed of my time.

WarEagle2K

Chimp
Feb 28, 2005
Tucson, AZ
I live in the Monterey Bay area. My son(13) and I are signed up for the beginner class XC course. I rode the entire course(less the Laguna Seca portion) last Saturday. Some places were still pretty muddy, but overall the course was pretty smooth. It should be a good time. BTW, this is my first post on this board, so bear with me.....

dhtahoe

I LOVE NORBA!!!!
Feb 4, 2002
Flying Low Living Fast
anarchyUK said:
hey tahoe any updates/pics?
Sorry guy but I can't get up there to take any. The course crosses no one but two gun ranges. SOC has to pay $2000 a day to shut it down. The soonest I will be able to is the week before the event.

bikenweed

Turbo Monkey
Oct 21, 2004
Los Osos
I'll be there! Hopefully on an '05 SX, racing semipro with a smile the size of Texas. Got three more weeks in this darn cast then it's go time!

GiantRider

Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Nor. Ca. Santa Cruz ,Mang
dhtahoe said:
Sorry guy but I can't get up there to take any. The course crosses no one but two gun ranges. SOC has to pay $2000 a day to shut it down. The soonest I will be able to is the week before the event.
Well, can you tell us how the track is coming at least?

mtbikermark

Monkey
Oct 26, 2004
Jackson, CA
I'm racing the DS on a Trans Blue Heckler. Men's Sport 19+ (although I'm an old guy in this group at 37).

I wanted to race sport instead of against those ex-semi-pro/expert-got-too-old types and get blown out in the first round by the likes of Eddie Cerrone who ends up winning the whole thing.

No...I'm not bitter.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I going. I went last year but didn't race. It will be my first race. I am doing dh. i will either be on a bright green gary fisher level betty fh1 with a dj2 or my friends 9.5'' scott bike. I have a thor jersey. how is the dh course. Are there any doubles, if there are can I roll over them if they are big? I am 15, but look 8 because I am 5'3.

Backpack1

Monkey
Mar 16, 2005
GNORKAL
My bike got stolen, so I am racing DH on a stock, borrowed Heckler. I will be wearing a sour expression and will be followed by a dark cloud. But I will be finishing top-10 so I can race the Nat Champs again at Mammoth! Good luck everyone!!

jmeperu

Monkey
Jan 20, 2005
Santa Cruz
The Kadvang said:
nice man... i think i saw you at ggg, i was the kid walking up with you with the enduro sx
yeah i remember you carrying your bike up the hill on your back. i tried to carry min but 40 lbs of mud on a 40 lb bike is heavy :)
how did you do? i got 4th and i only crashed 6 or so times on my race run. haha

The Kadvang

I rule
Apr 13, 2004
six five oh
jmeperu said:
yeah i remember you carrying your bike up the hill on your back. i tried to carry min but 40 lbs of mud on a 40 lb bike is heavy :)
how did you do? i got 4th and i only crashed 6 or so times on my race run. haha
haha nice... i didnt even come back the next day... too hungover :dead:

Micro-Sanjay

I invented Erbon Assolt
Nov 26, 2001
Tustin- not in OC
Dddddddddzzzzzzzzyyyyyyyyeeeeaaaahhhh!

I'll be out there forshizzle, look for a short Paki-Mexican fool (Oh, yeah..that's me on the Avatar) on the most outrageously-colored bike and outfit you have ever seen. Chances are I will be loud and chances are if you have a young child with you, you will want to cover their ears. I should make an appearance with my fellow countryman and half-brother Sanjay in the D.J contest....WATCH OUT NOW!! It is mos def going down at the 2005 Sea Otter Classic!!!! If you see me riding my 50 with hot pink plastics you'll know to HOLLA at your booooiiii!!! AYYY MIJO!!

-MICRO