Quantcast

Season 1 Eposide 1: Before DH DIED? - Did the INDUSTRY ever get round to...

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Producing an actual DH bike specific saddle?

I haven't really payed attention to new saddles for years so tend to stick with S/H SLRs bought from roadie dentists on my lightest bikes, cheap Madison Flux' for general riding, and currently a Tioga D-Spyder for DH.

as I'm in the process of collecting parts for a new DH build I thought I'd take a look on CRC to see what was about. Other than the Nukeproof Sam Hill mud saddle I saw zero innovation with regards to a saddle designed for control over sitting on.I know no one here actually rides DH anymore and just comes for balance bike advice but thought i'd ask anyway.

What I mean by designed for DH:
  • Durable (cromo rails and durable cover)
  • Narrow
  • flat top (sitting comfort is completely irrelivent)
  • minimal top padding
  • extra side padding/soft construction or curved edge for your inner thigh to push against
  • shortened rear for maximum slammage while tilted upwards** (something I feel is far more important for riding flat pedals and pissing about having fun than racing in than clips)
  • not too heavy (260g ish sounds about right)
  • Decent value for money (£140+* for any saddle is fucking retarded in my eyes. Over £50 for a DH bike saddle equally so.)

*$200

**As always comedy replies equally valid as graphs, spreadsheet data and of course #kidwooFashionGuru Advice

Dogboy

Turbo Monkey
Apr 12, 2004
Durham, NC
The Ergon SMD2 ticks most of your boxes. 3 models ranging roughly 42GBP-104GBP with the middle model using cromo rails and weighing in at 215g.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
The Ergon SMD2 ticks most of your boxes. 3 models ranging roughly 42GBP-104GBP with the middle model using cromo rails and weighing in at 215g.
Oooohhh... Even comes in a stealth version with the ugly logo and writing blacked out. Thanks.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Interesting topic cause I've recently been thinking of the same thing.

The saddle should be narrow. Around 125mm at the back.

Padding on the side

The padding should actually be taller than usual. Not as tall as the beloved Love Seat, but if that seat had something going for it, that was it.

A radius on the back end that follows the profile of a 2.7 tire. I know most use 2.5 now, but we know how much that varies from tire and rim width. On my Wilson the tire will hit the seat and raising it makes it uncomfortable. Which leads to

A plastic shield. My Funn saddle has a piece of plastic under the back of the saddle that follows the profile of it. It's screwed in from the bottom and stopped the tire from ripping the material. Due to a bad landing last year, I finally ripped it off after 10 years of use. Maybe if the plastic wrapped around the top of the saddle it wouldn't rip off, but can be replaced.

Kevlar or cordura the whole way. No fancy, delicate shit.

Cromoly rails.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
Kevlar or cordura the whole way.
I've always been in two minds about Kevlar/cordura sides. Yes it's tougher. but that also always seems to make it far more abrasant on the inner thigh of your DH/nicoVouillozGTspandex/whateverwooswearing shorts/pants. and the abrasion can get far worse in the wet depending on soil content on the hill. Surely there's gotta be a less abrasive but still tough non slippy material? or a better way to weave the kevlar/Cordura than currently.

bonky

Chimp
Jan 22, 2016
I just buy used Selle SLRs for a few euros, they usually last me a few seasons and I quite like the shape when cornering.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I've always been in two minds about Kevlar/cordura sides. Yes it's tougher. but that also always seems to make it far more abrasant on the inner thigh of your DH/nicoVouillozGTspandex/whateverwooswearing shorts/pants. and the abrasion can get far worse in the wet depending on soil content on the hill. Surely there's gotta be a less abrasive but still tough non slippy material? or a better way to weave the kevlar/Cordura than currently.
Whatever "FX synthetic" is worked flawlessly.
http://www.cheapbikeparts360.com/products/funn-skinny-rl-saddle/

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
@Gary maybe You should check out some Octane One (Rocket DH or Phoam models) or Dartmoor (Trail/Trail V2) or Even BBB Feather and Accent products? You shouldn't have any problem getting them in the UK or EU. They are quite cheap, and pretty descent.
They all cost ~20-35GBP.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
I already have 2 of those. (one's on my race BMX and the other's spare) They're alright but they do beat the shit out of your inner thigh on a DH bike. Think I started a thread here asking if there was anything similar but moar thigh friendly 10 years back

I just buy used Selle SLRs for a few euros, they usually last me a few seasons and I quite like the shape when cornering.
Yeah. for an XC/road saddle they're decent. And incredibly light. But for DH they don't last that long here. Why I only buy them for my road bike and 4X hardtail.

Gary

"S" is for "neo-luddite"
Aug 27, 2002
UK
@Gary maybe You should check out some Octane One (Rocket DH or Phoam models) or Dartmoor (Trail/Trail V2) or Even BBB Feather and Accent products? You shouldn't have any problem getting them in the UK or EU. They are quite cheap, and pretty descent.
They all cost ~20-35GBP.
Rocket DH and Feather look great for a cheap fairly traditional saddle to use on a DH bike.
Phoam has a cutout and in the UK that's just an enema feature.
Had looked at the Dartmoor saddles previously. All kevlar never dries so the trail is out. Trail 2 looks interesting though.
Thanks.

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
Kidwoo wears pants?