Quantcast

Seat post sizes are a joke!

Did you ever notice that almost every part on bikes is a "standard" size. Myabe a few different "standards" exist but for the most part you can go in and get a tire, bottom bracket, pedals, handlebars, etc. etc. and the parts will work on your bike. Not so with seat posts!

How did the biking industry get so screwed up in the middle of the bike. What the heck hapened here? Does any MFG make a seat post that will work with another MFG's bike? Since when do they need to get into the MM decimals to make an improvement of some sort?

This seatpost situation is a friggen horror show! I wanted a set back seat post for my Stinky. I would like another 1" (inch) of cockpit length. But I find the kona has a 30mm seat post. Nothing I can find will fit a 30mm bike. I don't see a single seatpost made that is 30mm! I know I can use a shim but my seat is going up and down all the time for long XC rides or down hills. All I wanted was a simple 1" setback seat post. Is that too much to ask?

No I have to have one made, or maybe epoxy the shims to the smaller post so they will not come off or loose from regular or frequent adjustments. Any other suggestions?

I would still like to know why these Bike industry idiots standardized on a few sizes for everything on a bike except the seatpost?

disclosednot

Chimp
Jul 16, 2002
Asheville, NC
Amen. I got screwed with a 26.4mm seatpost. I can only find one manufacturer that sells that size. I had my heart set on the cool Salsa on but no. I get one choice.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
It's not that hard to find seatposts in 30.0 or 26.4. The problem is that you either have to go cheap and get a Kalloy Uno, or go expensive with the Thomson. :rolleyes:

Orvan

Mar 5, 2002
Califor-N.I.A.
or
get it shimmed down or up to a more common size.
mine was shimmed from 30.0 (since I don't feel like spending money on a thompson) down to 27.2 for an Easton EA50..it ain't that hard...just have to know where to go to a bikeshop with shims..

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
i thnk mine gets a couple of milimeters thinner as i go down, because when i close the quick release closer to the bottom, it's pretty loose, i tried another one that worked, but my saddle wont fit on it :confused:

Ok good news, seat post sizes are still a Joke but Kona comes through with good info less then 24 hours from my Email to them.

They told me look at the Titec seatposts and I can get any kind of 30.0mm seatpost I want from them. I went to the usual outlets looking over the Titec seatposts and nobody has them in 30.0mm? I called and spoke to the big online bike stores and they said Titec does not even make a 30.0mm size???

I was gonna email Kona back and ask whats up! but I called Titec first. They said sure we have 30.0mm posts any kind you like. My 30.0mm 1" setback post is on it's way that easy. Kona's information is always right on track, even when I doubted them, it was still right!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Originally posted by LostBoyScout
Fight back! I am... I will NOT buy a bike with anything other than a 27.2!
31.6 is also a pretty safe bet.

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by JJHACK
Did you ever notice that almost every part on bikes is a "standard" size. Myabe a few different "standards" exist but for the most part you can go in and get a tire, bottom bracket, pedals, handlebars, etc. etc. and the parts will work on your bike. Not so with seat posts!

How did the biking industry get so screwed up in the middle of the bike. What the heck hapened here? Does any MFG make a seat post that will work with another MFG's bike? Since when do they need to get into the MM decimals to make an improvement of some sort?

This seatpost situation is a friggen horror show! I wanted a set back seat post for my Stinky. I would like another 1" (inch) of cockpit length. But I find the kona has a 30mm seat post. Nothing I can find will fit a 30mm bike. I don't see a single seatpost made that is 30mm! I know I can use a shim but my seat is going up and down all the time for long XC rides or down hills. All I wanted was a simple 1" setback seat post. Is that too much to ask?

No I have to have one made, or maybe epoxy the shims to the smaller post so they will not come off or loose from regular or frequent adjustments. Any other suggestions?

I would still like to know why these Bike industry idiots standardized on a few sizes for everything on a bike except the seatpost?
Cuz then they would all have to use the same tubing.
It is Ok for a Headtube (probably b/c it is jsu machined out of a solid piece), but a seat tube is much longer and needs to be tubing.
Just a guess though.

S.G.D

Monkey
Jun 14, 2002
Vancouver
Originally posted by Orven
or
get it shimmed down or up to a more common size.
mine was shimmed from 30.0 (since I don't feel like spending money on a thompson) down to 27.2 for an Easton EA50..it ain't that hard...just have to know where to go to a bikeshop with shims..
i did the EXACT same thing, with the same post....but i havn't used it yet

how adjustable is the post?

Thanks
~SGD