Quantcast

Sedro Woolley?

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Blackrock?

We're talkin 70 miles north of seattle right? (sedro woolley I mean)

I'd be hard pressed to drive past seattle to go ride blackrock.

I can keep my sanity if there's any sort of good trailriding to do in an afterwork sense I think.

I can save the big bike riding for weekends.

Last edited:

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
I'm an idiot...totally messed up my geography.

Just looked at a map...that usually helps...

Count that as 3 hours to whistler...black rock...well...that's a bit farther.

You'd be a stone's throw away (like a 20 minute drive depending on traffic) from Galbraith...there's a bunch of building going on up there.

There's probably some opportunity off of either Highway 9 or Highway 20 (the North Cascades Highway)...

Also, Steven's Pass (Highway 2...a bit south) is planning a bike park, a la Whistler, to break ground soon.

(For reference, I'm 20 miles northeast-ish of Seattle proper)

Last edited:

Secret Squirrel

There is no Justice!
Dec 21, 2004
Up sh*t creek, without a paddle
That's kind of what I thought. Dinky town that no one knows about. I just looked for bike shops and didn't find any.

Typically not a good sign.
I believe there are a couple small shops in Mount Vernon and there are a few really good ones in Bellingham (near Galbraith).

Depending on what you're looking for, it's a really nice area. Close enough to Seattle that you can make the trek if you want, but far enough out so you don't have to deal with a lot of yuppies. And you get nature.

Borneo

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
Duvall
You guys just assuming he's only a huckster?

http://evergreenmtb.org/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

Lots of places to ride around there. ACFL and Blanchard in addition to Galby :thumb: and the others mentioned.

Victoria Tract just south of there from May 1 to Nov 1 and real good XC if you don't mind horse nuggets here and there.

A little bit away is also Moran on Orcas Island seasonally and Fort Ebey on Whidbey.

Walker Valley south of there is moto land but some of the lesser trails can be fun. Super muddy in the winter though.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
I think it would be quite a departure from what you're used to.
Which is what I'm afraid of, but then again what wouldn't be a departure besides canadia?

What job could you possibly be looking at in Sedro Wooley?
It would actually be the same job/lateral move. Why they chose to put an office there I have no idea.

I'd lose some lift access in both summer and winter but I have front derailleurs and a snowmobile. Life on the cascade highway can't be that bad right?

Thanks for the info borneo and trik

ebxtreme

Monkey
Apr 25, 2007
Bellingham
Woo,

If you end up seriously looking at this job, hit me up and I'll give you a proper tour. I'm in B'ham nowadays and have been toiling in the dirt a little bit. ;)

Also, something to keep in mind......you could easily work in Sedro Woolley and live in Bham or Burlington or Mt. Vernon.

Holla.
EB

Jan 24, 2004
Duthie
Definitely be worth it. There is a ton of riding around there that will be right up your alley.. I've seen your vids online. You'll be right at home. Hook up with EB and he'll show you around. Keep in mind he really just wants another trail building slave in the end. ;)

Spahman

Monkey
Dec 13, 2006
Arlington
Woo,

If you end up seriously looking at this job, hit me up and I'll give you a proper tour. I'm in B'ham nowadays and have been toiling in the dirt a little bit. ;)

Also, something to keep in mind......you could easily work in Sedro Woolley and live in Bham or Burlington or Mt. Vernon.

Holla.
EB
word..
the traffic up north is nothing like it is down south :X

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
sedro woolley is pretty redneck/ upriver, actually skagit county is more that way than north or south of there. I lived in burlington for 2 yrs, worked in sedro wooley. was ok but had to drive 20-30min in any direction to ride, and not much going on. more of a bedroom community,

lots more people(riders) in bellingham and more to do. cost of living is slightly higher in bellingham though.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Necromancing this thread as I am considering a job in Sedro-Wooley. My intent would be to live on the southern end of Bellingham and commute. Currently living in Seattle but feel imprisoned by the lack of nearby riding and the terrible traffic. Prefer small town life. I have heard good things about B'Ham but have never been there. I am attracted by the closeness to the Cascades for hiking and skiing, and the potential of local riding. I also like the access to the water, would consider purchasing a friends boat for trips into the islands. I generally like all kinds of riding from road to big mountain stuff. Historically I have been leary of any riding where my wheels leave the ground but as a transplant from rural Va I realize my hesitation comes from lack of proper feature design and have started to warm up to jumps/drops when riding the well built trails in the Seattle area.

What is the vibe in B'ham?

allsk8sno

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
Bellingham, WA
ah crap another transplant...but honestly I'm sure you'll love it up here, lots of trails your wheels don't leave terrafirma(how my wife likes to ride too...) i don't know much about relating seattle to b'ham though as i never lived down there...i think B'ham is quiet enough, but i know there are shows an stuff since it is a college town, just not my thing anymore

Necromancing this thread as I am considering a job in Sedro-Wooley. My intent would be to live on the southern end of Bellingham and commute. Currently living in Seattle but feel imprisoned by the lack of nearby riding and the terrible traffic. Prefer small town life. I have heard good things about B'Ham but have never been there. I am attracted by the closeness to the Cascades for hiking and skiing, and the potential of local riding. I also like the access to the water, would consider purchasing a friends boat for trips into the islands. I generally like all kinds of riding from road to big mountain stuff. Historically I have been leary of any riding where my wheels leave the ground but as a transplant from rural Va I realize my hesitation comes from lack of proper feature design and have started to warm up to jumps/drops when riding the well built trails in the Seattle area.

Lumberjack

Monkey
Jan 24, 2003
PNW
Call Andy at Skagit Pedal Sports in Anacortes. He lives by Sedro Woolley. They have a CX race there in the fall and the town is laid back. There are a few bikers up there that have their own stuff. Give it a chance.

ebxtreme

Monkey
Apr 25, 2007
Bellingham
Funny to see this thread pop up.... I was sure it was Kidwoo chiming in with a new job opportunity. Come on, Woo....get your sh!t together!

I think you should probably spend a day or three up here before you decide. Most love it, some decide it's not for them. Commuting to Sedro from B'ham isn't a biggie if you've dealt with any sort of big-city commute times.

As for the vibe, I guess that depends on what you're looking for. I was one of those transplants as well, so my advice to anyone moving to a smaller town is to inject yourself and become part of making that town a better place to live. Access to recreation and trails were a big driver for us to move out of Seattle and I made sure to help as frequently as possible on traildays and other projects in the mt. bike community. In turn, it's given us a great group of friends and we're making inroads with some future trail projects.

EB

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
I got another job offer back in Seattle that blows away the one in Sedro so it is no longer a consideration.

ebxtreme

Monkey
Apr 25, 2007
Bellingham
I got another job offer back in Seattle that blows away the one in Sedro so it is no longer a consideration.
Good on ya. For sure the hardest part of living in our area is making a wage where you can easily support your family. In the end, that's the biggest reason why a lot of folks don't move here.

That said, I don't miss my 45 minute drives to ride and build at Tokul or sitting in traffic to get anywhere. I'm extremely fortunate though in the fact that I can work from anywhere.

Cheers,
EB

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Shlt's together son. Just waiting for the employer now.

Bummed Westy won't be around. Come on westy, seattle sucks. Let's invade b'ham..........together
Would much rather be up there than in Seattle but everything about the Seattle job is better. However I haven't accepted that job yet as I am hoping to get an offer from a pharmaceutical company back in Virginia. Could move back into my old house and would be working near some rad trails.