Quantcast

Seems like the protesters are only open to one opinion, their own.

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
One more reason why Jesse Jackson can kiss my ass. I have met the man, he is a fake. I feel he ruins the legacy that men like Dr. King worked so hard to establish.

Booker

Monkey
Feb 5, 2003
Louisville, KY
Originally posted by mrbigisbudgood
If given the chance, I would urinate on the Rev. Jesse Jackson.
As much time as he spends in Louisville "protesting" ( or promoting his self image) i am sure i could set you up.

scofflaw23

Monkey
Mar 13, 2002
Raleigh
wow, if you really think that everyone opposed to the united states going to war with Iraq is a big supporter of Saddam Hussein, you are truly jaded.

ben.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
Between a rock and a hard place.
Originally posted by scofflaw23
wow, if you really think that everyone opposed to the united states going to war with Iraq is a big supporter of Saddam Hussein, you are truly jaded.

ben.
Not at all the point of the post m'lad.

The point is that Iraqi people who want Hussein ousted were not allowed to address the group. They were so intent on voicing their position that they would not allow another perspective.

Personal speculation:
When Hussein is ousted US troops will be welcomed by Iraqis in the streets of Bahgdad with open arms.

patconnole

Monkey
Jun 4, 2002
bellingham WA
Originally posted by Damn True

When Hussein is ousted US troops will be welcomed by Iraqis in the streets of Bahgdad with open arms.
And will they be the English speaking Iraqis, the ones the pentagon's press-minders let us see, the only ones our lazy reporters find or report on?

"We love america! Thank you america!"

EDITO: You're probably right though-- I hope this turns out good.

patconnole

Monkey
Jun 4, 2002
bellingham WA
Originally posted by Damn True
They were so intent on voicing their position that they would not allow another perspective.

This would be a fair description of any time the Prez or VP gives a speech--- those with "less supportive" signs are hearded to a faraway pen.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
True, but there isn't a great deal of precedent for inturrupting any President for any reason.

But at a public march when speakers are giving various opinions pertinant to the topic at hand it seems like a not altogether bad thing to present both sides. Especially when the whole shebang is being led by supposedly fair-minded Rev. Jackson.

Fairness? Discourse?
Aren't those held in high regard to the left?

bomberz1qr20

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Many people oposed to this war are open minded, and respect the opinions of others.

Maybe rename the thread "Seems like these particular protesters are only open to one opinion, their own."

By the way, Bush has the same attitude about the millions of people against this war.

IKE

Chimp
Jun 17, 2002
Originally posted by mrbigisbudgood
If given the chance, I would urinate on the Rev. Jesse Jackson.
best post ever

hopefully the human shields will get their chance

-BB-

I broke all the rules, but somehow still became mo
Sep 6, 2001
Livin it up in the O.C.
Originally posted by patconnole
Ok, I just actually read the article. Pretty convincing.
Is it?
It was written by an Iranian... People that most likely HATE Iraq. Could this not be a ploy to get the US to go open up a Can of Whoop-arse?

Trust Nobody

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I honestly don't know anymore.
There's a peace march deal at my high school next wednesday. They were asking for speakers. I volunteered to speak on behalf of the Pro-war point of view. They will not let me. When I questioned "why?" they sprouted garbage about how they didn't want it to turn into a riot. This is ludacris, and I told them such. I thought what our country was all about was freedom of speech, an exchange of opinions, and all that jazz. I guess I was wrong.

patconnole

Monkey
Jun 4, 2002
bellingham WA
Originally posted by Jorvik
There's a peace march deal at my high school next wednesday. They were asking for speakers. I volunteered to speak on behalf of the Pro-war point of view. They will not let me. When I questioned "why?" they sprouted garbage about how they didn't want it to turn into a riot. This is ludacris, and I told them such. I thought what our country was all about was freedom of speech, an exchange of opinions, and all that jazz. I guess I was wrong.

If you wanted an F-ing debate, hold one! You're mad that a PEACE RALLY won't allow a PRO-WAR SPEECH??!!!!

"I thought this country was all about....." You actually think the organizers of a peace rally are somehow obligated you let you speak? This country is all about freedom of speech, exchange of opinions--- but it helps when you control the microphone... So go get your own and you can say what you want-- better yet, hold a debate.

EDIT: See the White House's response to Saddam's debate challenge.

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
Pro-war? Do you know what that means? Do you know what war is other than what you watch on TV? It isn't a video game. Those bombs you see in black and white are killing folks that aren't much different from you. Just some poor guy that got conscripted into a half ass army about to face the most efficient military the world has ever seen. And while any military action will be fairly one sided, there will be American causalities. That means that someones father, husband, son and or friend won't come home. That sucks but that's what war is. No one in their right mind is pro-war.

Now you might have misspoken by saying pro-war. But those are the things that you need to think about before you take a stance or ask to give a speech. There is nothing wrong with agreeing with the President and his current course. Even coming up with arguements to support it. It is important to have a well thought out opinion.

But if you really are pro-war, put your money where your mouth is and join the Army. You are the right age. When they ask what you want to do tell them 11B. And don't waste your time with any speciality schools. Just a regular 'ole 11B. That'll get you there pretty quick.

Damn True

Monkey Pimp
Sep 10, 2001
If you really want the opportunity to speak your peace I suggest the following.
Give some serious, and I mean VERY SERIOUS, thought to what DRB just posted.

IMPORTANT:
Be prepared to be screamed at, and insulted. Maybe worse. You must not reply with anything other than quiet dignity and a reminder that you are merely, just as they are, excercising your right to free speech.

Come up with a position. Not an argument.

Ensure you are stating a differing opinion rather than simply saying that the other side is wrong. Back that opinion up with fact and precedent.

Don't say the other side is wrong. It comes across as argumentative.

Ensure your position grants the same kind of respect to their opinion that you would like granted toward yours.

Show the article that I posted in this thread to your Principle along with your position paper.

If that dosen't work call the ACLU and let them know your 1st amendment rights are being impinged upon. They will probably laugh at you.

If that dosen't work contact your local newspaper, radio and TV stations.

IMPORTANT:
Be prepared to be screamed at, and insulted. Maybe worse. You must not reply with anything other than quiet dignity and a reminder that you are merely, just as they are, excercising your right to free speech.

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
Some keys to protesting:

1. Come up with a pointless cause.

2. Do not shower, use only Patrulie to combat body odor

3. Grow disgusting dredlocks

4. Refuse to get a job. Become proficient at loafing and getting high.

5. Forget any sense of reason, debate is bad because pointless causes always lose. Just remember to shout jargon and smell bad.

6. Remember that "Mean People Suck," but that its ok to throw red paint on people and compare pigs to holocaust victims.

7. Never ever talk in facts. Complete ambiguity and "what if" scenarios are the only way to go.

8. Counter arguments can always simply be written off as propaganda. Other people never formulate their own opinions, they're spoon fed them by the government. Insist on this even though there are no facts to support.

9. Ralph Nader rules all.

10. Keep repeating "It's all a conspiracy, that's why i dont have proof."

Other protestors will never take you seriously if you dont adhere to their rules.

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
I realize that I could've found some better words to illustrate my quandary. I apologize. I don't want to hi-jack this thread with the reasoning I have behind my point of view, but I am all for using force to oust Saddam. I guess that the reason I'm upset is that I'm constantly surrounded by anti-war blather founded on nothing but ignorant opinion. I've been verbally abused for my opinions, sure. I usually just respond with a smile.

As for "putting my money where my mouth is," I am fully intending to join the United States Marine Corps, attempting to get an NROTC scholarship, just waiting to hear back. My reasons for this are many, none of which are because I want to go to war, or think war is "cool".

rbx

Monkey
Originally posted by BurlySurly
Some keys to protesting:

1. Come up with a pointless cause.

2. Do not shower, use only Patrulie to combat body odor

3. Grow disgusting dredlocks

4. Refuse to get a job. Become proficient at loafing and getting high.

5. Forget any sense of reason, debate is bad because pointless causes always lose. Just remember to shout jargon and smell bad.

6. Remember that "Mean People Suck," but that its ok to throw red paint on people and compare pigs to holocaust victims.

7. Never ever talk in facts. Complete ambiguity and "what if" scenarios are the only way to go.

8. Counter arguments can always simply be written off as propaganda. Other people never formulate their own opinions, they're spoon fed them by the government. Insist on this even though there are no facts to support.

9. Ralph Nader rules all.

10. Keep repeating "It's all a conspiracy, that's why i dont have proof."

Other protestors will never take you seriously if you dont adhere to their rules.
thats strange im against the war and i dont fit any of those requirements:rolleyes:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
I don't fit any of those either, and I'm against invading Iraq at this time.

On the other hand invading Saudi Arabia? I'd be behind that 100%

(You keep spelling Patchouli wrong) :)

DRB

unemployed bum
Oct 24, 2002
Watchin' you. Writing it all down.
I realize that I could've found some better words to illustrate my quandary. I apologize. I don't want to hi-jack this thread with the reasoning I have behind my point of view, but I am all for using force to oust Saddam. I guess that the reason I'm upset is that I'm constantly surrounded by anti-war blather founded on nothing but ignorant opinion. I've been verbally abused for my opinions, sure. I usually just respond with a smile.

As for "putting my money where my mouth is," I am fully intending to join the United States Marine Corps, attempting to get an NROTC scholarship, just waiting to hear back. My reasons for this are many, none of which are because I want to go to war, or think war is "cool".
When you are in the position you are, its all the more reason to very careful about everything you say in defense of your point of view. If you are serious about it, I'd say write a letter to your school newspaper or even the local paper. And follow DTs guidelines. Pat's point is also valid about not being able to speak. It would be like having the opposing team get 5 minutes at a football pep rally. Samething with the rally that started this whole thread. Or imagine someone from the NAACP wanting to speak at a Klan rally.

As for being a Marine, I guess there are worse things that you could become, I just can't think of any right now. I'll give it some thought and see if I can come with any. ;)

Jorvik

Monkey
Jan 29, 2002
Originally posted by DRB
When you are in the position you are, its all the more reason to very careful about everything you say in defense of your point of view. If you are serious about it, I'd say write a letter to your school newspaper or even the local paper. And follow DTs guidelines. Pat's point is also valid about not being able to speak. It would be like having the opposing team get 5 minutes at a football pep rally. Samething with the rally that started this whole thread. Or imagine someone from the NAACP wanting to speak at a Klan rally.

As for being a Marine, I guess there are worse things that you could become, I just can't think of any right now. I'll give it some thought and see if I can come with any. ;)
Yeah, I totally see the reasoning for why I was denied now. The pep rally analogy got it for me. I think I'll just revel in the day off from school and ride.