Quantcast

Self Fam Shoot...

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Went to Roosevelt Island (lived in NYC most of my life and never been there) today, and took my remote flashes, tripods for some pics.....

Can some people Critique these shots, i been working on getting better shooting people, seems that i'm only great at shooting sports....

I used 2 flashes set to the left and right about 5 to 8 feet away at about 1/4 power....

Tufino Family:

Kids and I

Kids and Wife

Wife

Wife & Kids

Obviously my wife doesn't know the Rule Of Thirds!

I think they are "OK" but i think i could have done better... thought?
Shot with the Nikon D300 (Gripped) & the Nikon 70-200 2.88 VR & Tamron 17-35, 2.8-4...

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
My recommendations.

The flashes are too hot, and they are creating harsh shadows and hot spots. Buy a few of those diffusers that you can mount right to the flash head, cheap and quite effective. Something like this: http://www.adorama.com/FAMSBD.html

There is another one but I can't remember where I saw it.

I would also recommend using a long lens, your 70-200 VR for instance, use a shallow depth of field to put more emphasis on your subjects. The buildings are too sharp and taking the focus away from the fam.

A good tip for portrait photography is to use your long lens and a shallow depth of field for best results.

I like the top pic and with the above recommendations it would look even better.

Plus your wife is still a good looking woman.

Last edited:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
You need to soften up that light...since you're outside, a shoot through umbrella works well, or if you want to get fancy you can use something like a Westcott Halo.

You put the key light left or right, about where you had it, and then use a touch of on axis fill. Works nice. Power of the key light is going to depend on your ambient if you're at about f8...on a bright day with a speedlight you're going to be at full power for a family. Also, make sure you feather your key light a lot. You're going to want the umbrella shaft pointed at the furthest person away from you.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Thanks You guys!!!!!

still trying to get better!
Practice, practice, practice. Flash takes FOREVER to become decent at. I just had the best teacher in the business to help me, Joe Mcnally. Check out his site to see his work with flash. He uses SB-800 and SB-900 only.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Thanks You guys!!!!!

still trying to get better!
Four things to remember about the flash for a family portait:

1. Off the camera for the key
2. Big as possible
3. As close to the subject as possible
4. Feather

Obviously, there are exceptions to every one. Those are pretty good places to start though...and you've got the first and most important one done.

RUFUS

e-douche of the year
Dec 1, 2006
Denver, CO
Four things to remember about the flash for a family portait:

1. Off the camera for the key
2. Big as possible
3. As close to the subject as possible
4. Feather

Obviously, there are exceptions to every one. Those are pretty good places to start though...and you've got the first and most important one done.
Not a naked flash though, you must have some type of diffuser on the flash or you will blow out the subject. The flash(es) should be JUST out of the frame.

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Not a naked flash though, you must have some type of diffuser on the flash or you will blow out the subject. The flash(es) should be JUST out of the frame.
That's what #2 means...I should have made that more clear.

How do you make your light source bigger? Modifier.

WhoRyder

Turbo Monkey
Nov 28, 2007
NYC
Again, thanks..... def. looking to get better and learning remote flashes (aside from shooting sports) have been a huge weakness for me... and would like to get better at it....

Again, thanks guys....

Rufus, i use this diffuser on my SB600 sometimes:

It's a Softbox but for some reason the flashes still look hot..... maybe i need to run the flashes at a lower power?

Last edited:

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
Again, thanks..... def. looking to get better and learning remote flashes (aside from shooting sports) have been a huge weakness for me... and would like to get better at it....

Again, thanks guys....

Rufus, i use this diffuser on my SB600 sometimes:

It's a Softbox but for some reason the flashes still look hot..... maybe i need to run the flashes at a lower power?
Go bigger. Shoot thru umbrella. 20 bucks. Bag your lightstand if you don't have someone holding it.