Quantcast

Selling international on ebay experience?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I've sold almost all of my frames over the years on eBay, but have always avoided international sales. Thinking about trying it but afraid of getting f**ked. Anyone done it? Experience?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
you can require that international bidders contact you first, then interview the hell out of them to look for red flags or flakes, only ship to confirmed addresses, etc.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Never sold internationally but have had problems purchasing. My Russian hookers always arrive dead. Saves me some effort but it is the path I enjoy and not always the destination.

NuMexJoe

Monkey
Aug 20, 2007
Years ago I sold my E-stay Merlin frame to a winning bidder in Japan with no hiccups, but scamming wasn't the art form then that it is now.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Try Craigslist first before you head to ebay, avoid losing out to ebay and paypal fees. Plus you get cash in hand straight away without the risks of getting fcked by ebay down the line as buyers have all the protection rights on there now.

Second choice is Pinkbike.

Ebay probably comes after that.

JohnE

filthy rascist
May 13, 2005
Front Range, dude...
Take a buddy with you when completing Craigslist transactions...they can get weird. I once bought a bike from a halfway house full of recovering drug addicts in LA. Interesting to say the least, but I got a bitchin' deal.

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
I assisted with 2 bikes and misc parts interational to Japan when I lived there. I really like that there are peeps on the monkey willing to ship overseas.

TLDR
Ridemonkey international fo sure
ebay do the due dilligence, but having been the expat jonesin for braapity good times no red flags and I would do it.

I've sold almost all of my frames over the years on eBay, but have always avoided international sales. Thinking about trying it but afraid of getting f**ked. Anyone done it? Experience?

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Try Craigslist first before you head to ebay, avoid losing out to ebay and paypal fees. Plus you get cash in hand straight away without the risks of getting fcked by ebay down the line as buyers have all the protection rights on there now.

Second choice is Pinkbike.

Ebay probably comes after that.
I use all three, and price the eBay listings with the fees taken into account. Generally things sell quickest for me on eBay. They have that program now where eBay handles the international shipping - you just send it to their US center. I'm curious about it which is what triggered this question.

As far as buyers protection, I recently got screwed by PayPal as a buyer...I don't think anyone can depend on anything.

ALEXIS_DH

Tirelessly Awesome
Jan 30, 2003
Lima, Peru, Peru
i have bought plenty of things off ebay and had them shipped to Lima.
my feedback rating is in the 3 digits...

I actually prefer ebay over amazon.com
much faster, better shipping rates and never had a bad experience.

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
Apologies, didnt see you were using ebays global shipping program, I've used it as seller over 30 times in the last year and have had no issues or complaints.

Would not hesitate if the buyer appears stand up. Should be much cheaper shipping for you to kentucky and the headache of duties and fees is all on the buyer and ebay to deal with.

I use all three, and price the eBay listings with the fees taken into account. Generally things sell quickest for me on eBay. They have that program now where eBay handles the international shipping - you just send it to their US center. I'm curious about it which is what triggered this question.

As far as buyers protection, I recently got screwed by PayPal as a buyer...I don't think anyone can depend on anything.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
They have that program now where eBay handles the international shipping - you just send it to their US center.
On that note, buyer beware...

I purchased a DAT tape drive from Texas not too long ago on Ebay. They used this service and Ebay double dipped when I made the purchase on PayPal. It was pretty confusing to try to figure out, but basically when making the purchase there was a shipping charge from Texas to Canada (from the seller). Then, there was another charge from Ebay for shipping from somewhere in the US to Canada. I calculated it out and they basically double charged what the advertised shipping cost was.

I opened a dispute with PayPal and Ebay didn't even reply to it. Got full refund for it. :brows:

velocipedist

Lubrication Sensei
Jul 11, 2006
Rainbow City Alabama
Dude,

That sucks, I have tried as a seller to find out total shipping when using the the global program and it is a brick wall. I tell all buyers to assume extra fees/duties beyond the auction sale. Lame to hear the buyer doesn't get notified of expected extra cost.

On that note, buyer beware...

I purchased a DAT tape drive from Texas not too long ago on Ebay. They used this service and Ebay double dipped when I made the purchase on PayPal. It was pretty confusing to try to figure out, but basically when making the purchase there was a shipping charge from Texas to Canada (from the seller). Then, there was another charge from Ebay for shipping from somewhere in the US to Canada. I calculated it out and they basically double charged what the advertised shipping cost was.

I opened a dispute with PayPal and Ebay didn't even reply to it. Got full refund for it. :brows:

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
Dude,

That sucks, I have tried as a seller to find out total shipping when using the the global program and it is a brick wall. I tell all buyers to assume extra fees/duties beyond the auction sale. Lame to hear the buyer doesn't get notified of expected extra cost.
From my perspective as the buyer, I don't think it was any fault of the seller. There was a clear purchase from the seller and then extra fees tacked on from Ebay. When I opened the dispute on PayPal, it was with Ebay and not the seller. I found it odd that Ebay didn't even try to fight the dispute....

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
i avoid international shipments. you never know when the buyer goes full retard and refuses to pay duties on their end. then your stuck paying for the shipping charges back to you. screw that hassle.