Quantcast

Separated shoulder anybody?

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
Have any of you ladies or lurking guys had a separated shoulder? I did a thread search and found a good one, but thought I'd start a post to see if anyone has any more helpful information.

Anyway, separated my shoulder on Monday on the Whistler DH--tried to go too fast down a rock face, buckled over a little drop, and went over the bars. Had my shoulder armor on, but still tweaked my shoulder (AC joint).

My AC-joint bump on the distal end of my right collarbone is slightly more prominent than my left. I'm trying to figure out if its a grade I or II separation. I have full ROM if I move my arm carefully, but it hurts to push out. The doc didn't know if it was a grade I or II.

I guess I'll see how things go over the next few weeks, but just wondering if anyone else has experience with this same injury. I'm hoping that it will magically go away and I'll be able to ride again in 3 weeks.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
I separated the AC in my right shoulder, didn't take it very seriously, but it weakened it and then a few years later had a full dislocation. I probably would've dislocated anyway, but the doc said that because I didn't properly rehab it, I increased my chances of further damage.

If your insurance covers Physical Therapy, go a few sessions... you'll do most of the work on your own, but they know things that you just can't find on the internet, specifically YOUR shoulder's proper and specific therapy.

geargrrl

Turbo Monkey
May 2, 2002
pnw -dry side
Ow, so sorry.

Hubby did his down in McCall. The grade of separation will affect how you are affected. PT at the minimum for sure. If your doc didn't know the grade, I'd find one that does understand the distinctions.
He continued to do some mountain biking and whitewater ( his #1 love) but eventually he was too uncomfortable - there was some loose tissue that would pinch up in the joint when he would use it certain ways. ( sorry that's gross I know)

For my hubby, he'd dislocated the same one (popped back in on it's own) prior to the seperation. After the seperation, he waited a year until he was very uncomfortable, and then went and had surgery. The surgeon primarily reshaped the bone, he had no interior sutures. That is the "good" kind of surgery.

gg

DHRracer

Monkey
Sep 29, 2004
Thats what Whistler will do to you.I did mine on Schlyer a few years ago now.The Doc at the clinic said it was a class two.At the time it had to use my other arm to lift my shoulder up.Did not see any Docs hear in the states and did no formal PT.My job can be pretty physical especially on my arms,shoulders and back.Only rehab I did was to start using it.I would say for a good year after doing a lot of lifting the muscles on the back of my shoulder would get really tired and sore as they felt like they were being stretched.To this day I will still use a pillow under my arm when I sleep on the opposite side just so my arm is'nt pulling on my shoulder.I would say if you have Insurance get some PT and build up the muscles around your shoulders,chest and back.As far as riding in three weeks thats up to you.The thing that will be hard to do is lift the bike and pull back on the bars.Sorry to hear the bad news and wish you the best.

mohshee

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
MD by way of Austin, TX
I had a separated shoulder (grade 1 I think). It was pretty minor. But healed in about 2-3 weeks. Hubby separated his on a stair gap and was back on the bike in 1 week (but he claims to have had special "magic" tape from the chiropractor). Silly boy.

sunny

Grammar Civil Patrol
Jul 2, 2004
Sandy Eggo, CA
Have any of you ladies or lurking guys had a separated shoulder? I did a thread search and found a good one, but thought I'd start a post to see if anyone has any more helpful information.

Anyway, separated my shoulder on Monday on the Whistler DH--tried to go too fast down a rock face, buckled over a little drop, and went over the bars. Had my shoulder armor on, but still tweaked my shoulder (AC joint).

My AC-joint bump on the distal end of my right collarbone is slightly more prominent than my left. I'm trying to figure out if its a grade I or II separation. I have full ROM if I move my arm carefully, but it hurts to push out. The doc didn't know if it was a grade I or II.

I guess I'll see how things go over the next few weeks, but just wondering if anyone else has experience with this same injury. I'm hoping that it will magically go away and I'll be able to ride again in 3 weeks.
Grade I or II is really a matter of "how badly is the A/C joint sprained?" When I did mine, it wa a grade II. I was in so much pain, I was moaning in agony waiting to be seen in the ER. And I have apretty high pain threshhold (I raced on a broke wrist because I thought it was just sprained).

If you can raise your arm, if you can lie on the floor with elbow, wrist AND shoulder on the ground, you're probably a grade I, if that. It took me months of work to be able to put those three points back on the ground at the same time. I had a good phys therapist who "frictioned out" a lot of the scar tissue. I'm at 100% on that side now. :)

Good luck!
:)

.Pit Steelers.

Nostradumbass
Jun 18, 2006
Hawaii
I dislocated/seprated tore everything In my shoulder up in Whistler aswell on the first day i was there. Anyhow while i was up there i just wore the sling for a day and a half and went back riding seeing as i didnt want to sit there the rest of the 10 day trip. So thats what i did, then when i got back my shoulder still came out. So i wore a sling for 3 weeks and started doing PT. But it came out once more and i decided just to get the surgery. Took about 6 months to heal up (arthroscopic surgery) all together.

Dartman

Old Bastard Mike
Feb 26, 2003
Richmond, VA
Lurker here..

I have a Grade III separation on my left. It will take a while for it to scar down and not hurt when you ride. I'd give it as much time as possible to heal before using it, like 6-8 weeks. It will probably bother you for about 6-8 months however. It's been almost 10 years for mine and the muscles in the area get tired due to lack of structural support from the clavicle but no real pain or other problems. The lump makes a nice phone holder.

Heal well!!

Mike

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
Grade I or II is really a matter of "how badly is the A/C joint sprained?" When I did mine, it wa a grade II. I was in so much pain, I was moaning in agony waiting to be seen in the ER. And I have apretty high pain threshhold (I raced on a broke wrist because I thought it was just sprained).

If you can raise your arm, if you can lie on the floor with elbow, wrist AND shoulder on the ground, you're probably a grade I, if that. It took me months of work to be able to put those three points back on the ground at the same time. I had a good phys therapist who "frictioned out" a lot of the scar tissue. I'm at 100% on that side now. :)

Good luck!
:)
Thanks for this insight. Based on this, I'm guessing I'm a grade I b/c I was never in agony by any means. Just pissed that I can't move my arm all the way. I can lie on the floor with my elbow, wrist and shoulder on the ground--it takes a bit to get everything there, but I can. Good to know you are 100%.

This is good news for me since Moeshee (sp) had a grade I and was better in 2-3 weeks. I can only hope!

BigT

Chimp
I'm an athletic trainer and here's my $.02.

A first degree AC sprain consists of point tenderness along the AC ligament without any deformity.

With a 2nd degree sprain there is a definate deformity compared to the other shoulder and usually you can't lift your arm out to the side.

A 3rd degree AC sprain is a complete separation, there is severe pain and very limited range of motion of your shoulder.

You should put your arm in a sling to relax the muscles of the shoulder and ice it several times a day. The more the muscles get a chance to relax the speeder the recovery period. You should do some gentle range of motion exercises to keep the joint from getting too stiff. Most AC injuries don't require surgery.

NJ Jess

Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
mtbnj.com
That's when you try to impress this guy you like and you say those terrible words,..." Watch this,..."

And then he had to drive me to the hospital. Darn!
The ligament was GONE! and I needed surgery in order not to have such a huge a*s bump. Six months later, I could finally brush my own hair.

I continue to do shoulder work to keep the surrounding muscles strong, but I do feel it time to time, especially trying DH runs this year.

I guess I won't make the it to the casket in one piece, but I intend to use my body to it's limits before I go!

onetime

Monkey
Aug 31, 2004
in a pond
I had a grade 1 separation 3 years ago, did no physical therapy, and it was fine within a month. However, i now wish i had known to do the PT. i have since also broken that clavicle, badly. I now have constant problem with a minor dislocation of the shoulder. I know that i need to do some strengthening excercises, but am not sure what.

GrapeApe79

Monkey
Sep 22, 2005
Issaquah, WA
Well, just wanted to update this thread in case someone else gets the same injury someday and does a search.
Its been exactly one week since the crash and I am feeling a ton better. There was no change in my condition for the first 4-5 days or so, but the last few days, I've gotten much better. I think I could probably ride my bike now, but will stay off it for another week or so.
I can now push my arm out in front of me and lift my arm overhead. Bringing it back down is still painful. I'll definitely be riding again next weekend!

Lady Gravity

Chimp
Jul 1, 2004
Mtnbike Mecca
good to hear you're recovering. also, if you're into homeopathic remedies at all i highly recommend traumeel - it works on repair of soft tissue injuries (of any kind). i've used it myself and given it to several people when injured and everyone reports faster recovery time. comes in a pill format as well as cream, and i've used both. you can get it from a health food store.

whale

Monkey
Apr 23, 2004
Silver Spring, MD
the title of this thread caught my eye... i had a type II/III separation 2 years ago due to a stupid crash in a race. i didn't do much PT and bounced back pretty quickly, but i would advise against riding too soon. i only took 2 weeks off and suffered great pain and rode through it with lots of biofreeze and beer, but i'm a dumba**.

i wore this brace for the entire season and it made a HUGE difference. i highly suggest getting one to help stabilize your shoulder while riding. the only pain i now have is when i have to pull a bike off a roof rack and my shoulder pops. the big ugly bump that is on my left shoulder makes for good conversation starters though...

JapaneseZero

Monkey
Jun 27, 2006
Virginia
i wore the same brace whale did... works well, havnt had a problem with my shoulder since... my C6 is another story... good luck, take gluecosimine... that stuff helps...