Quantcast

Service Dogs, Medical Marijuana, and other overused security blankets

maddog17

Turbo Monkey
Jan 20, 2008
Methuen, Mass. U.S.A.
the condo where I live has a no pets policy. problem is it's not enforced by anyone. there are only a couple of people who have dogs because they need them as "emotional" pets. whatever the fuck that means. just another bullshit way to circumvent an existing rule, thanks federal gov't for giving these idiots what they want.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I have the blanket my Mom had when she died. When I get upset or anxious it relaxes me. If any of you ever touch it I will most certainly not like that...

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
There are service animals, and emotional support animals. The airlines ask us frequently about this, but few seem to try and enforce it. An overriding regulation is that all cargo must be secured for takeoff and landing on an airplane. Everything except for people, is cargo. The FAA does allow a passenger to hold a baby that has not reached their 2nd birthday, collectively known in the industry as a "meat-missile", since that's what happens to them in a crash. In a 9G crash you are not holding on to a 450lb baby. So, our response is often, if the service animal is the same size as a baby, and can be held, then sure, they can be in the cabin. According to the national law about service animals, they do not have to honor odd requests, like chickens or snakes or anything odd like that. They can allow an emotional support animal to ride in the cabin too. The difference is that they MUST make accommodation for the service animal, but if it would interfere with the safety of the flight, it must go in a pet-carrier. For the emotional support animal, they do not have to make an accommodation. Most of the airlines seem to tell their agents to let it all go, because they seem to be afraid of being sued. There's a stark difference between a service animal (like a seeing-eye-dog) and an emotional support animal. Just the training that goes into a service animal is huge and they are usually amazing in that respect.

Another factoid, those seats are rated for 170-215lb people, so if they are putting some 300lb guy in there, with a couple other passengers that seat row (because those things are made as one giant row of seats) won't hold up to the intended stress that they were designed for. If they put someone next to me like that, I sure as hell ain't going to sit in a row of seats that'll break loose in a crash because I'm sitting with fatty.

If you do encounter these service/emotional support animal issues, take a bunch of pictures and send them to your local FAA office :)

kazlx

Patches O'Houlihan
Aug 7, 2006
Tustin, CA
A lot of 'emotional support' animals are bullshit. I personally know people that are the reason this is bullshit. However it is a super easy way to force an apartment complex that doesn't allow dogs to let you have your dogs....

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
A lot of 'emotional support' animals are bullshit. I personally know people that are the reason this is bullshit. However it is a super easy way to force an apartment complex that doesn't allow dogs to let you have your dogs....
I can agree with that... There are a lot of systems in the U.S. that were created with good intensions and then some assholes started abusing it.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
While my ex-wifes dog wasn't bullshit, she was never really used for her intended purpose as an assistant for the disabled. My ex is disabled, but she is highly capable. But getting Tori service certified through a legit group back in '94 was a great way for me to have my dog 24/7. Rottie or not, she is a service dog. :rofl:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I have a service Cat. Shes pretty wonderful except she doesn't like to get picked up. The Lady at the Liquor store learned that the hard way. No worries she healed up just fine.... I have taken her out rollerblading. She didn't like it to much. I had difficulty bending over to pick her up as my tennis shorts were way too tight. Luckily some strangers recognized my difficulty and were able to scoop her up for me.... I now have her on a leash. She is learning to keep up.

I don't really think she steals my buds... She does however get into the sink and eat my ribeye thawing in the sink. Then puke it up on the rug.

Last edited:

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
but can she call 911 with something other than a phone?
I am not sure how she gets outside either. She just wails away when I leave her alone and I think the neighbors call Animal Control. I suspect She steals my bud. There is no way I smoke that much.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
I have a service Cat. Shes pretty wonderful except she doesn't like to get picked up. The Lady at the Liquor store learned that the hard way. No worries she healed up just fine.... I have taken her out rollerblading. She didn't like it to much. I had difficulty bending over to pick her up as my tennis shorts were way too tight. Luckily some strangers recognized my difficulty and were able to scoop her up for me.... I now have her on a leash. She is learning to keep up.

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
I want a Black Widow Spider for my service animal. It will obviously help me with my fear of losing small things. You know, kind of like having to pay full price for an iPhone encourages you not to lose it. Of course I couldn't just let it run around so I would have to have a little cage or carrier for it. Where do I apply for the service animal sticker ?

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
You'll have to get it an official service animal vest.

It's good that it's a vest and not a jacket, though. I can't imagine trying to make a tiny jacket with 8 fucking arms.
Thanks, it will be much easier to put a vest on her than trying to get all 8 arms through the sleeves. Do you know where I can get some cool patches so the vest looks like a biker gang ? Gotta look badass cuz it is a Black Widow after all.

TN

Hey baby, want a hot dog?
Jul 9, 2002
Jimtown, CO
wanna know what chaps my ass, gets knickers my in a bunch, pees in my cheerios, gets sand in my vag, rains on my parade, is a pain in my ass, and makes me butt hurt?

...i forgot.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Thanks, it will be much easier to put a vest on her than trying to get all 8 arms through the sleeves. Do you know where I can get some cool patches so the vest looks like a biker gang ? Gotta look badass cuz it is a Black Widow after all.
I heard you like black widows?

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
So I looked up Service animals in my area. I called them to ask if they train Cats as service animals. They said no they do not. Rabbits, Birds, Snakes, Iguanas and Ferrets are OK, but not Cats. Cats it seems are not adaptive to human behavior. I disagreed. They said that no matter how much money I had, they were not in the Cat training business.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
So I looked up Service animals in my area. I called them to ask if they train Cats as service animals. They said no they do not. Rabbits, Birds, Snakes, Iguanas and Ferrets are OK, but not Cats. Cats it seems are not adaptive to human behavior. I disagreed. They said that no matter how much money I had, they were not in the Cat training business.