Quantcast

Service Dogs, Medical Marijuana, and other overused security blankets

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
I sat on my 2nd floor deck and ate dinner, and spent 30 minutes talking to the neighbor's cats who were hanging out on their deck like 15 feet away. They seemed to be listening, but they didn't even talk back. Phffttt. Whatever.

That said, I did feel better after talking with them. So, they did their job. Nice work, neighbor cats. Nice work.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Lulz.

I'm having a medical Manhattan because of airplanes.

Today's air travel experience gave me an amazing idea. "Shut-the-fuck-up class" travel. 200 extra bucks each way gets you a seat next to someone who has also paid 200 extra dollars for the assurance they won't have to deal with the person next to them. 5 word limit to exchange a hello, then you shut the fuck up for the rest of the flight. A violation gets you hog tied, your mouth taped shut, and stacked in the galley like cord wood. When the flight is over you're never allowed to fly that airline again. I bet cash starved airlines could make a fortune!

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Lulz.

Today's air travel experience gave me an amazing idea. "Shut-the-fuck-up class" travel. 200 extra bucks each way gets you a seat next to someone who has also paid 200 extra dollars for the assurance they won't have to deal with the person next to them. 5 word limit to exchange a hello, then you shut the fuck up for the rest of the flight. A violation gets you hog tied, your mouth taped shut, and stacked in the galley like cord wood. When the flight is over you're never allowed to fly that airline again. I bet cash starved airlines could make a fortune!
I bet it could be cheaper if you simply bribe the person next to you. But being able to schedule seating like that it would make it more appealing for sure.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Lulz.

My reputator is malfunctioning. Stop having good ideas.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Lulz.

$50 discount for people under 200 lbs. I don't want my elbow exchanging pleasantries with your jelly doughnut collection.

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Lulz.

"medical manhattan" :rofl:

I NEVER travel without my construction earplugs. Bright orange, blue cord, 99.9% of the noise, voices and drone of engines disappears until I pull them to say "yes, another whiskey would be delightful. thankyousoverymuch".

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!

I NEVER travel without my construction earplugs. Bright orange, blue cord, 99.9% of the noise, voices and drone of engines disappears until I pull them to say "yes, another whiskey would be delightful. thankyousoverymuch".
You fly in Business, you #sonofthebiatch?

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
My reputator is malfunctioning. Stop having good ideas.
You are still doing it wrong:

Show up at airport, check in, take drugs to knock you out, get thrown in cargo hold. Arrive at destination, get injected with new drugs to wake you up. Would be like fucking teleportation on Star Trek. Yeah, it's like 5th element too.

PatBranch

Turbo Monkey
Sep 24, 2004
wine country
I hate that shit. Especially when they take up the whole width of a bike path.
Fucking groups of people who decide to walk 5 wide down sidewalks or crowded places. Hey, we are all equal, but clearly superior to everyone else because we ain't getting out of anyone's way.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008

I've long used earplugs, but just acquired a pair of Bose noise cancelling, so good for trying to watch a film compared to normal headphones on a flight.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
Had to explain to a friend that her friends were horrible people. Her friends have a rambunctious, minimally disciplined 70 pound pup, and she showed me a picture of it on a plane, wearing a service vest. I asked if her friends really needed the dog as a service dog, and she said no, and that they just got the vest so the dog could go on plane rides with them. I told her these people were giant, gaping holes. She couldn’t wrap her head around the issue, and just kept saying I wasn’t a pet-person, and that it was totally fine to pull this stunt so their “baby” could travel with them.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Had to explain to a friend that her friends were horrible people. Her friends have a rambunctious, minimally disciplined 70 pound pup, and she showed me a picture of it on a plane, wearing a service vest. I asked if her friends really needed the dog as a service dog, and she said no, and that they just got the vest so the dog could go on plane rides with them. I told her these people were giant, gaping holes. She couldn’t wrap her head around the issue, and just kept saying I wasn’t a pet-person, and that it was totally fine to pull this stunt so their “baby” could travel with them.
I bought a handicap parking support placard because they have the sweetest parking spaces. Having to walk too far from my car to the liquor store causes me PTSD, so having the support placard helps with that. :rofl:

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
When I was having massive gout attacks that left me in crippling pain for weeks at a time and had to limp around on a cane I could have gotten a handicapped placard. But I didn't. Why ? Because I could still walk (barely) and had no intention of disrespecting anyone unfortunate enough to be confined to a wheel chair.

If you can walk, you don't need to be parking in handicapped spaces.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
If you can walk, you don't need to be parking in handicapped spaces.
Sorta. I can walk, but, I can have slow, and exhausting days. I also have a bladder control issues, which can make walking longer distances troublesome, particularly if I just finished driving for a long time. I do keep a pee-jug in the car, just in case, but still.

I’ve also been in big parking structures and lots where 90%+ if the regular spaces are full, but there are several unoccupied handicapped spaces. Using my special parking pass actually helps keep more spaces available for everyone else, which seems the considerate thing to do.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Twice over the weekend a dog tied out in front of a business became aggressive and went after my dog. In one case the dog was on a 8' long leash and I had to cross into the street to get around, the second time two smaller dogs dragged a metal chair down the sidewalk and eventually got tangled around a sign post.

My initial reaction is to protect myself and my dog with a swift kick to the face but it isn't the dog's fault they have irresponsible owners. Thinking I might start leaving notes threatening to call animal control.

Adventurous

Starshine Bro
Mar 19, 2014
Crawlorado
Twice over the weekend a dog tied out in front of a business became aggressive and went after my dog. In one case the dog was on a 8' long leash and I had to cross into the street to get around, the second time two smaller dogs dragged a metal chair down the sidewalk and eventually got tangled around a sign post.

My initial reaction is to protect myself and my dog with a swift kick to the face but it isn't the dog's fault they have irresponsible owners. Thinking I might start leaving notes threatening to call animal control.
Pepper spray seems to work well for @Pesqueeb , maybe you should try it too.

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
Pepper spray seems to work well for @Pesqueeb , maybe you should try it too.
10/10, would recommend.

I don't really want to hurt the dog, but would be happy to find the owners and spray them in the face.
Hurts them less than puncture wounds, lacerations, and/or broken bones. I actually use bear spray. Supposedly the capsaicin content is lower in bear spray due to the sensitivity of their noses vs. the Freedom® stuff cops spray on protesters. That said, if you spray it in someone's face, they aren't going to think life is real grand for a while.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
10/10, would recommend.

Hurts them less than puncture wounds, lacerations, and/or broken bones. I actually use bear spray. Supposedly the capsaicin content is lower in bear spray due to the sensitivity of their noses vs. the Freedom® stuff cops spray on protesters. That said, if you spray it in someone's face, they aren't going to think life is real grand for a while.

Good point. My pup is generally friendly and tends to ignore other dogs while on the leash, however if another dog throws him shade, he returns the negative energy two fold and I don't think he knows how to back down. But he isn't the problem because I properly control him.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
or just nut up and buy the dog a seat....

airlines are great at killing pets in cargo.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
It ought to be against the law to put an animal in the pit.
It is against the law to put an animal in the cabin where it could potentially become a 900lb missile traveling throughout the cabin during an impact. If the animal is no bigger than a lap-child (these children are referred to as a “meat missile” in the industry) or it can fit under the seat in front for takeoff and landing without going into the egress area, that’s ok, but otherwise not legal.