Quantcast

Service Dogs, Medical Marijuana, and other overused security blankets

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.
It is against the law to put an animal in the cabin where it could potentially become a 900lb missile traveling throughout the cabin during an impact. If the animal is no bigger than a lap-child (these children are referred to as a “meat missile” in the industry) or it can fit under the seat in front for takeoff and landing without going into the egress area, that’s ok, but otherwise not legal.
I understand that. It still shouldn't be okay to put a living animal in the cargo pit.

Edit: and if we're going to make it about "safety", Mr. FAA man, we need to talk about the pre-kinetic energy, actual 900lb person, using the "seat belt extender" in the emergency exit row. Also, "assumed average weight".

Last edited:

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
I understand that. It still shouldn't be okay to put a living animal in the cargo pit.
This was a really big reason we went with getting Tori certified was for air travel and general travel, really. I mean, my ex wife lacks arms (no, really) and that for sure sucks, but she didn't NEED Tori for help, but she was quite helpful. Her disability is not only obvious, but also justified for a service animal (that actually does a service like open doors, carry crap, turn on lights, fetch beers). Now the two pit bulls she passed off as also being certified after Tori passed was a whole other mess.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001

Edit: and if we're going to make it about "safety", Mr. FAA man, we need to talk about the pre-kinetic energy, actual 900lb person, using the "seat belt extender" in the emergency exit row. Also, "assumed average weight".
flying should just be reserved for dainty little shits...

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK

That too is not ok, eat seat can handle a max passenger weight of 215lbs, 3 seats together 645lbs, so they would be exceeding the max those seats can handle.

But yeah, I shouldn't be subjected to a lower margin of safety or flying objects in a crash due to other people's choices.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Also, by the time you get to the meat missile stage, everyone is going to be dead anyway...
Just the opposite actually, the meat missiles go first and I have knowledge of many accidents where adults survived, but unrestrained lap children did not.

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Gutted to read from the peacock news piece that I can no longer take an emotional support spider on Delta flights :(

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
This is why I prefer to travel with an emotional support prostitute. Of course with airlines cutting back I now have to bring my own blanket for in flight handies. ✋

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
It is against the law to put an animal in the cabin where it could potentially become a 900lb missile traveling throughout the cabin during an impact. If the animal is no bigger than a lap-child (these children are referred to as a “meat missile” in the industry) or it can fit under the seat in front for takeoff and landing without going into the egress area, that’s ok, but otherwise not legal.
There go my plans for a traveling emotional support grizzly.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
i once had to fly with cats. because we were moving from LA to NJ and that was how things had to happen.
To qualify the Philly part was fine. I cheaped out and didn't buy a direct flight. Rochester has the shittiest airport anywhere. Worse then Detroit...

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
To qualify the Philly part was fine. I cheaped out and didn't buy a direct flight. Rochester has the shittiest airport anywhere. Worse then Detroit...
detroit's airport is a paradise compared to charlotte...or atlanta's

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
I really don't like the Vegas Airport! I walked a good quarter mile to find the screens for my connection. I was looking for big screens like all other Airports i have been too. Turns out, it was these tiny ass little screens that i walked by many of not paying attention to them. Turns out, my connection was 2 gates down from where i started. They sure as fuck had giant screens for advertisement though.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I think we should be at this point by now.
View attachment 127779
Hamburgers were so so. However they made a excellent $4 Vodka Gimlets in the bar. If you tipped well they would list your drinks as appetizers and deserts on the bill. Thus making it easier to submit on your expense sheet. Same thing with California Pizza Kitchen. Nobody actually eats their pizza...