Quantcast

Shamano XT vs Sram x9

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
I am building up a sunday, I got sram x9 on all my bikes but I hear xt is really good now days. Looking for suggestions....

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
Kim I just ditched all my SRAM x/9 X.o stuff besides my X series front shifter which is hooked up to a Saint derailleur. I dont think I can go back to SRAM for a while. On my Sunday and STP (hardtail for those not in the know) I am running a deore XT rapid fire with a shimano road 1.05 rear derailleur. The XT allows you to upshift from both directions (thumb and index finger) I like this because no matter how my hands/body are positioned on the trail I can shift into the gear I need and its just butter.

On my Sunday (and past DH bike) I have run a 40 front with a 11-26 road cassette in rear which give me much closer gearing and allows me to get where i want without dropping lots of gears . If you want to try out my drivetrain as we have the same bike your more then welcome to, I can't think of a better shifting setup out there.

Hope this helps

bikerpunk98199

Turbo Monkey
Apr 24, 2005
the hood
XTR shifter with Shadow XT derailleur, with this set up you get a nice crisp shift like a x9 or x0 but is also a way smoother lever feel than sram shifters.

bockner

Monkey
Jun 21, 2005
bellevue, wa
Kim forget all that. I still have the awesome shifter from my Ross Apollo 3, you know the sweet geat shift that sat on top of the split top tube....yours free!

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
Kim forget all that. I still have the awesome shifter from my Ross Apollo 3, you know the sweet geat shift that sat on top of the split top tube....yours free!
BWAHAHA ... I bet that would have fit better on the azonic then the sunday, but just a guess :)

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
I just snapped two XT derailers in 2 weeks

:\

that is all
yah not running an XT reraillur. Only like shimano's road stuff or id stick to my SRAM.

Yes Kim the sunday is getting the last few adjustments, going to really have to tune it in on thursday when I have some time to get the thing up to speed and adjust the shock. I did not order the bushings as the frame was brand new if thats what you were asking about.

jumping_jesus

Monkey
Jan 23, 2006
in your mind
i like the way the new shimano stuff works more then sram. I have seen many sram rear der. self destruct recently too. you should rockthe xt 770 and a shimano shorty road der. or go with the new saint der its a little spendy but it super durable and has better spring tension then a road der so you dont get a lot of chain slap. if you want to try my bike the ext time i see you you are more then welcome too. I am running the new saint shifter and der.

trees4me

Chimp
Apr 16, 2009
After using both SRAM X9 and Shimano LX and XT, I wouldn't even take SRAM X9 if it was free.

If you only go outside when it is sunny and dry, never hit any mud, and basically don't mt bike, then SRAM is fine. ;)

The sram rear der. pulleys basically don't have seals that NW compatible, and the sram triggers are much harder to use (1:1 vs 2:1) than shimanos. Eventually, I couldn't get the sram triggers to shift without taking my hand off the bar.

But like I said, if you only ride in the sun or at colonade, go for sram...

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
They both work well. Pick the ones you like more aesthetically.
No...

Sorry but thats not a valid point to the whole thread. Maybe great if your riding the burke gilman trail on your mtn bike. but if you want things to work well there is a huge difference. I had SRAM x.o x9 on my hardtail for a few weeks and that was enough to swear them off till they come up with something better.

The two do not even work the same (diff levereage ratios to make shifts) so saying whatever one you like the look of better is very un-educated. I may spell like sh*t and nto know as much as others but there is a huge difference in how the shift mechanism works as well as the lever actuation. if your tooling around in the woods on your own pace ok maybe go for whatever looks better even if it works like poop. Maybe I care about how my bike shifts and how fast it does it under pressure/load and the Shimano stuff makes SRAM look like hufffy lately.

Not to mention the SRAM is harder to mount well next to a brake lever and this as well can piss off lots of people.

no offense intended but do your homework and ride both. you will soon see how its apples and oranges.

Spahman

Monkey
Dec 13, 2006
Arlington
all this talk about fancing derailers... My back up derailer is a short cage 105 road derailer..
its lived the longest.
I've strait up landed on it trying a log ride and it still works fine!
its even tweaked a little and still shifts fine :o

don't plan on replacing it tell it gives it up

trees4me

Chimp
Apr 16, 2009
DesuL - couldn't agree with you more!

Spahman - after mt biking only for years, i just got into road riding about 2 years ago. I've been amazed at how well road components last. They seem to be more durable than mt bike stuff... wtf?

DesuL

Monkey
Nov 21, 2005
DesuL - couldn't agree with you more!

Spahman - after mt biking only for years, i just got into road riding about 2 years ago. I've been amazed at how well road components last. They seem to be more durable than mt bike stuff... wtf?
Yah funny how that is! I don't think I would trust all road stuff on my DH bike, and when I tried out drop bars it looked very funny HAHA

obviously i have stated my choice. I have had a few issues with my 105 pulleys but a bit of love got them back to working well.

It does come down to personal choice for sure, but its more then asthetics. its usually a mechanical choice, either mechanics of your hands or mechanics or the part. I have not gotten to try all of the high end shimano stuff yet I am on a budget but the xt 2 way shift and 105 has treated me real well. I could always upgrade to an ultegra or something fancy but cheap and replacable is always nice.

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
I have done the road derailur thing, was not impressed with them other than the price. My sram has worked fine for me in all conditions, but I have not tried the new shamano stuff.

scotteric

Chimp
May 11, 2004
seattle
kim, i have been running shimano since you were in diapers and i still think its good stuff. i'm currently using an xt shadow rear deraileur with an old xt 8 speed shifter and an xt 8 speed cassette. the **** is flawless. also been running xt 4 pot brakes on both my bikes since they came out with them and haven't done anything more than change out pads and the occasional broken lever. don't even get me started on cranks.....sram designs are ugly IMO and the race face i've had were mediocre at best. i haven't spent much time on sram shifters, deraileurs etc...but never saw any reason to switch.
my two cents

fuzzycatnuts

Monkey
Dec 14, 2005
kim, i have been running shimano since you were in diapers and i still think its good stuff. i'm currently using an xt shadow rear deraileur with an old xt 8 speed shifter and an xt 8 speed cassette. the **** is flawless. also been running xt 4 pot brakes on both my bikes since they came out with them and haven't done anything more than change out pads and the occasional broken lever. don't even get me started on cranks.....sram designs are ugly IMO and the race face i've had were mediocre at best. i haven't spent much time on sram shifters, deraileurs etc...but never saw any reason to switch.
my two cents
I dont think they had mountian bikes when I was in diapers :) I did run shamano forever (since 93) then switched to sram last year mainly becuse of the way the housing wire connected to the deraliur, but with the shadow it has changed all that.

Spahman

Monkey
Dec 13, 2006
Arlington
all this talk about fancing derailers... My back up derailer is a short cage 105 road derailer..
its lived the longest.
I've strait up landed on it trying a log ride and it still works fine!
its even tweaked a little and still shifts fine :o

don't plan on replacing it tell it gives it up
spoke to soon...
broke it saturday