Quantcast

Sharing a bike?

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
Anyone try and share a bike with their significant other? I made a proposal to get a cheap new 4x/DJ/DS hardtail and share it with my BF. Wondered if anyone had tried the sharing thing before and how it worked out?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Never tried it, it seems like it would be a pain to swap out/adjust all the stuff every time the other wanted to ride it. But then, I'm pretty picky about my xc set-up and maybe it would be less of a factor with the type of bike you are considering.

thePINKster

Monkey
Jan 31, 2006
bay area, Cali
share bikes??

many a time. my dad is a big bike geek and most the time i get his hand-me-downs, which arent too shabby! however part of the deal is that he still gets to ride them too... it's worked out so far because we have a nice collection in our garage and my grandma's garage.

also, i built up a hard tail last summer, and let a chick friend borrow it cuz she said she wanted to try riding and learn (she was my boyfriend's bestfriend's girlfriend... ) she's had it over on her side of the bay for a few months and i havent needed it, so it's been fine. however, i will be picking it up tomorrow because i'm gonna start training and what not.

not to mention the times when i've let random friends borrow an extra bike out of the garage when we've wanted to hit the bmx track, jumps..

but i'd have to say that as long as you're cool with whoever you're sharing with, then it's fine.

redFoxx

Monkey
Apr 15, 2005
Seattle
That might be a problem if you both want to ride at the same time.

Other than that, if the fit is similar I'd do it. My BO is 5'8" with 30" inseam and I'm 5'7" with 32" inseam so we can ride each other's bikes except his arms are longer so he does tend to like a larger bike.

But I think before long someone will want their own exclusive bike. It just works better that way.

joelsman

Turbo Monkey
Feb 1, 2002
B'ham
I have an extra stem for my AM bike so my wife can ride it at whistler, or where ever, if she wants, but she isn't really a biker.

VT Mtbkr

Monkey
Oct 3, 2003
Richmond, Virginia
He's 5'6 and I'm 5'4 and within about 10lbs of each other so we can ride the same frame size. I don't think setup would be as much of an issue with this bike because it's a hardtail. We already ride the same springs in our DH bikes so I'm not too worried about the fork. As for stems we'd just both have to adapt to whatever is on it and not worry too much about the perfect setup. We're thinking that we'd just use the bike to "mess" around on. We've both watched DS races and wondered if we'd like to try it sometime and this would give both of us a bike to try it out on and see if we liked it. If we did enjoy the bike then I could see a second in the future but I'd want to see how much use it would get before we commit to 2 more bikes in the overcrowded stable.

Thanks for the input everyone!

altagirl

Monkey
Aug 27, 2002
Utah
He's 5'6 and I'm 5'4 and within about 10lbs of each other so we can ride the same frame size. I don't think setup would be as much of an issue with this bike because it's a hardtail. We already ride the same springs in our DH bikes so I'm not too worried about the fork. As for stems we'd just both have to adapt to whatever is on it and not worry too much about the perfect setup. We're thinking that we'd just use the bike to "mess" around on. We've both watched DS races and wondered if we'd like to try it sometime and this would give both of us a bike to try it out on and see if we liked it. If we did enjoy the bike then I could see a second in the future but I'd want to see how much use it would get before we commit to 2 more bikes in the overcrowded stable.

I did this with my husband. He's 6'0 and I'm 5'9", but for a DJ bike it's close enough. We thought we'd run into both wanting to use it, but as it turns out we sold it due to lack of use. I think it's the perfect way to figure out if it's something you're into or not when you can get away with fitting on the same bike.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!

I would think you'll be fine then. My hubby & I ride 2 different sized bikes so we wouldn't be in the same situation. The IH sounds like a good deal...especially since you aren't sure how much you'll be using it!

sarahalyse

Chimp
Mar 9, 2006
I'm 5'3" and my finace is 5'11". The only bike we can share is my Medium Specialized Demo 8, only because of the low standover height. Other than that my 13" Jamis Dakar is a bit too small for him and his Large Bullit and Homegrown are a bit too big for me. I guess I more or less let him borrow the Demo 8 vs sharing it.

Repack

Turbo Monkey
Nov 29, 2001
Boston Area
My situaiton may be different from yours, but my gf uses my Enduro to race Super D. She even raced it to a national championship. She's about 4" shorter than me, but when I put on a DJ-length stem and stubby seat post (how I ride it for dirtjumping) its perfect for her. It would be a little too big for her to use for DJing or street riding. It also has air shocks on it.