Quantcast

Shenandoah River State Park

Quo Fan

don't make me kick your ass
BigT and I are in VA for vacation, and brought bikes. We went to the Shenandoah River State Park for a ride. The reviews on local websites said it was a nice ride, not too challenging. Just what we were looking for, because this was only like the 3rd mountain bike ride of the year.

We started on the Bear Bottom Loop Trail (teal blazes) and took the left at the first fork. We turned left onto Big Oak Loop Trail (white blazes). The next turn was onto Tulip Poplar Trail (pink blazes) which returned onto Big Oak Loop Trail. At that turn, we were the farthest from the truck, and began our return. We took the next right onto Redtail Ridge Trail (red blazes)and made the detour to the observation point. After a snack at the observation point, we continued on. Up until this point, we had been doing mostly descending, with a few short climbs. Now we had to climb our way out of the park. Oh joy.

Redtail Ridge Trail intersected with the Shale Barrens Trail for about a tenth of a mile to reconnect with the Big Oak Loop Trail. We returned to the end of the Big Oak Loop Trail, and turned left onto Bear Bottom Loop Trail, finishing the loop.

Bike computer said we did 9.64 miles, GPS said 8.7. The reviews said the trails were "double track", since they were multiuse, but I found them to be more like wide singletrack. Since horses are allowed, we had to dodge many, many road apples.

Sign at the start

These posts were at all the trail junctions.

Blaze on a tree

BigT JRA