Quantcast

Sheppards Pie.

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
I would like to learn to make a proven recipe. I can't get good lamb here so I prefer to make it out of Ground chuck instead. I distincly remember Oxtail soup in my grammy's Northern Version of it. Yet none of the recipes I find have it as a ingredient?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Growing up Sheperds Pie was a means of consuming leftovers. Considering any cut of meat that made it into our home was tougher than kevlar, the second more tender cooking was always welcome. On special occasions Mum would make it with calf hearts or some other organ meat we weren't let privy to as we would probably refuse to eat.

ICEBALL585

Bacontard
Sep 8, 2009
.:585:.
My wife's recipe involves using ground beef cause we're too cheap to go out and buy any special cuts of meat. Also the veggies that get thrown in vary depending on what we have in the fridge.

boostindoubles

Nacho Libre
Mar 16, 2004
Yakistan
We usually turn our Thanksgiving leftovers into a giant shepherd's pie. Gawd it's delicious. The base of mashed taters and cranberry sauce all mixed in with a layer of turkey meat and cookies veggies, topped with gravy and sweet potatoes. Only 9 more months to go.

woodsguy

gets infinity MPG
Mar 18, 2007
Sutton, MA
Shepard's pie has to have lamb (get it? shepard - lamb). If you make it with beef then its cottage pie. That is like calling a turkey burger a hamburger.

eaterofdog

ass grabber
Sep 8, 2006
Central Florida
Shepard's pie has to have lamb (get it? shepard - lamb). If you make it with beef then its cottage pie. That is like calling a turkey burger a hamburger.
It like calling meatloaf patties hamburgers. We got a bunch of fvcking meatloaf patty makers in here. HAMBURGERS HAVE SALT ONLY IN THE MEAT.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
I've had good luck with this recipe: Good Eats Shepherd's Pie. I tend to add carrots to mine as well (usually frozen peas & carrots mixed); I've also done a mix of ground meats (lamb, veal, beef, turkey) and it's come out well too. If you don'r like rosemary or thyme, cut back a little and definitely don't forget to add a pinch of freshly ground nutmeg to your meat mixture...it really does add to it!

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
You are either being pedantic or encouraging cannibalism. Can't tell, need coffee.
The former, of course. :D Shepherds ate said pies, thus the name. A pie of shepherds would be too stringy, but perhaps not in these modern days...

jdcamb

Tool Time!
Feb 17, 2002
Nowhere Man!
The thing about Lamb is it is nasty. I just cut one up to grind it. I would rather eat switchabar then eat lamb. Phugging = out to $6.99/lb compared to top round at 4.99/lb.