Quantcast

Shimano M535 Wheelset and input?

mtbrider

Chimp
Jul 1, 2001
I'm looking for wheels and saw 123bikes.com have the 535 for $279.99. I like to jump and drop of obstacles i have built. Nothing over 3' at this point but may go higher as my skills and confidence grows.

Any input would be great or alternative suggestions. I would like to stay under $300.00 unless that is not possible.

ditchmonkey

Chimp
Jul 1, 2001
Yikes those wheels don't look too beefy. I wouldn't use those for any drop offs. I was a mechanic for quite a few years. I would recommend getting some Shimano XT hubs, 14 guage spokes, some beefy rims, and have the shop or mail order house build you some bomber 3 cross wheels. You would get a lot of life out of a set of wheels built like this.

DaveW

Space Monkey
Jul 2, 2001
The bunker at parliament
I would not touch them If you want to do any jumping they wont last more than a few rides doing that sort of stuff.
A guy I ride with trashed his on their second ride!!!! and he only weighs 50kg!:mad: :( :confused: :eek:

ridemonkey2

Chimp
Jul 2, 2001
Here
Originally posted by kevral
I hate basing my posts on hearsay, but word on the Shimano wheels are that they are over-priced, under-engineered, over-weight newbie-bait!:)
Shimano hubs = under-engineered newbie-bait?? Where did you get that word from? Have you been talking to HELLTACO?

R

RideMonkey

Actually wheels and hubs are two different things. Shimano hubs are hands down the toughest. I have an xt hub that has been to hell and back, twice, and it still runs like a champ.

The complete wheel systems that Shimano makes is another story entirely......

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
They're heavy and when you need a new rim, and you will, where can you get one and can your LBS build it? Go with standard stuff and you'll never have a problem with parts. By the way, the sealing on the freewheel side of shimano hubs and many others has always been far less effective at keeping out the nasties than their front or non drive side seals. At least in Vancouvers wet winter climate. You need to overhaul that side about once a month or so. And why can't they (Shimano) make a drive side dust cap that has pin holes so you can unscrew it with a pin tool? The freewheel body has threads. Its not hard to make a theaded dust cap. It sure would make cleaning out the race a lot easier.

Jul 1, 2001
Humboldt Nation
I've been running XT hubs on the same bike for almost two years and haven't had any problem with them. I don't go for BIG air but I do jump and I weigh over two hundred pounds and I do ride hard. Newbie bait...hardly.

RadRacer84

Chimp
Jul 7, 2001
I would suggest a few things to look into. First I ride Mavic 517 and they work great for what you are saying that you do. If you are going to go into anything bigger (AKA drop offs, jumps, ect.) I would suggest a downhill rim. I personally have not ridden Sun Ringle rims but from what I have seen and heard they are top notch. You can get a pair built for about $600 and that comes with top notch hubs as well. For something a little little less expensive and able to handle some light free riding I would try the RPM XXL for Sun Ringle those would work good. Also you can't go wrong with Mavic.
i hope i helped i know those are jsut ideas but i hopew you find something that you can use and use well.
peace RadRacer84