Quantcast

Shimano shifters

NRSracer

Jamis Slayer
Sep 7, 2001
Baltimore
Ijust bought a new 290 dollar mongoose and it worked fine up until today. I was riding it changing gears and they just stopped working. at first i figured it ws just jammed, but i then figured out that nothing I did would fix the problem. any suggestions?

Micro-Sanjay

I invented Erbon Assolt
Nov 26, 2001
Tustin- not in OC
if you absolutely know nothing about the shifting mechanism, just bring the biek to your nearest bikeshop...especially a bikeshop that carries Mongoose.

jammed? it could be that the internals of your shifters (wheels and rachet, etc) are broken or stuck..dunno.. or just too much slack on the cable routing (which won't cause jamming though)..

just bring it to a shop..

Ozzer

BullBiker

Chimp
Nov 5, 2001
Flatland Florida
Take it back to (Wal-Mark, K-Mart, Cosco..etc.) where you bought it, and take the money to a LBS and invest in a decent bike. I don't mean to offend you, but that bike is probably low quality. Mongoose used to be a great bike, the company was bought out and they started making mass merchant type bikes a.k.a Huffy, Murray, Pacific, Royce Union....etc. GT and Schwinn were recently bought out as well by Pacific, and will probably suffer the same fate as Mongoose.

For $300 you can get a decent entry level mountain bike from a reputable manufacturer like Trek, Specialized, Gary Fisher, Haro, Giant, Kona, ...etc. The bike won't be full suspension, but it will be of better quality, will last longer and has been assembled by a competent mechanic (we hope). The LBS will actually get you a bike that fits you, and will help you out if you have any warranty problems. (Like the one you are experiencing now!) I suggest saving a little more money and buying a mid-level bike for about $500-600.