Quantcast

Shimano XT brake levers

srf

Chimp
Aug 9, 2001
Bothell, WA
I have a pair of Shimano XT brake levers model ST-750 that I got used, originally used them with Shimano Altus cantilever brakes.

Bought a new frame that can't use hangers, so I had to upgrade to new brakes and got Avid direct-pulls (Single Digit Mag).

With the Avids they're quite a bit harder to modulate than cantilevers, which were easy since no matter how hard you pulled they didn't slow you down much. :)

Looking at Shimano's site (http://www.shimanocycling.com/mtb/deorext/ComponentTemplate.asp?partnumber=ST-M750) there's a 3-position adjustment. Does anyone know how this is done? And what the heck is "Servo Wave Action Power Adjuster"?

R

RideMonkey

Servo wave was for cantilevers and should not be used with V-brakes.

srf

Chimp
Aug 9, 2001
Bothell, WA
According to the link above on Shimano's web site, its brakes use the servo-wave stuff and are intended for v-brakes & mechanical disk brakes...

R

RideMonkey

Hmm thats interesting. Matbe they redesigned and brought back SW for vBrakes now. Who know with Shimano? :rolleyes:

oldfart

Turbo Monkey
Jul 5, 2001
North Van
Both the old canti levers and new v levers have a mechanism which increases the leverage at the lever as the pads contact the rim. Initial cable pull is greater meaning the pads pull rapidly to the rim then cable pull is decreased and leverage goes up along with brake power. Avid has a speed dial, XTR has a small dial and XT has plastic blocks that can be taken out.

BUT. That's a big BUT. You should not use old cantilever levers with linear pull, side pull,v-brake(whatever you want to call them) because the old canti levers do not pull enough cable. The result is that you have to set up the pads really close to the rim and the brakes will be way too powerful and very difficult to modulate especially in a panic situation. The brakes will be like on-off levers. Don't do it. Go buy some V-brake copatible levers. They aren't too expensive.

Oops. Checked the link. The 750 is the v compatible lever. You wouldn't want to use those with old canti's. As you noted pull as hard as you want and not much help stopping. But if you follow World Cup, you'll see that Miguel Martinez uses that very setup. XTR V levers and old XTR canti's. Is that one reason he's fast? No brakes?