Quantcast

Shimano XTR Trail 2011

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
Is it cause of the minimal amount of fluid or bad seal design? I seldom mess with my MX bike's brakes, and never bother to check my truck,...

But if you turn you truck upside down and pump the brakes they won't work, neither will the moto's. They all have an "open resivoir" but the bike's are still under a sealed bladder. Not nearly as much fluid or room for expansion. They simply need more frequent fluid change because of this.

Lelandjt

Turbo Monkey
Apr 4, 2008
Breckenridge, CO/Lahaina,HI
My XT and XTRs don't have a bladder. You open the top of the reservoir and there's the fluid with a little air space above it, just like my dirtbike but smaller. I always assumed that if you pump the levers on a bike when it's upside down air will get into the lines.

leprechaun

Turbo Monkey
Apr 17, 2004
SLC,Ut
The rubber bladder is under the cap, perhaps you never noticed it. If there's a little air visible than you have had air in there the whole time. You are supposed to over fill it and then put the cap with bladder on and let it spill over as the cap is tightened.

ldw222

Monkey
Jun 16, 2009
Rochester, NY
Does anyone know if the new XTR levers/MC's will work with the new style 4 piston Saint calipers? Are the MC diameters the same between the levers?
I asked the same thing and got no answer from this forum but I talked to my local shop (that seems to specialize in downhill stuff) and they said they will work. They warned me that the levers are shorter so you won't get as much, "leverage" I guess, but I want to try something different than the current servo wave levers. They just suck. I always have trouble with what seems like fluid coming out somewhere. The whole area gets covered with fluid and I've had multiple sets of these things (XT and Saint servo waves). They drive me crazy but I like the calipers though (and the modulation and mineral fluid). I'm either going to try the XTR trail levers or drop the $700+ on Formulas...

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
I asked the same thing and got no answer from this forum but I talked to my local shop (that seems to specialize in downhill stuff) and they said they will work. They warned me that the levers are shorter so you won't get as much, "leverage" I guess, but I want to try something different than the current servo wave levers. They just suck. I always have trouble with what seems like fluid coming out somewhere. The whole area gets covered with fluid and I've had multiple sets of these things (XT and Saint servo waves). They drive me crazy but I like the calipers though (and the modulation and mineral fluid). I'm either going to try the XTR trail levers or drop the $700+ on Formulas...
Keep us posted! :thumb:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I just checked out a set of these brakes today and those levers are nice as hell. Need to try these paired up with some Saint calipers ASAP. Anyone else tried this or heard any feedback about it? Are the fittings on the lines the same between that and the new Saints?

DanielM3

Chimp
Jan 21, 2011
I actually wanted the ispec version and got the standard mount version. Are you still not happy with the ispec config as I was thinking about buying the ispec cover to swap it out?

Thanks

Which is my problem with the XTR I chose poorly and got the I-spec version, so I am stuck with a brake lever that is to far away or a shifter that is to close.

Another advantage of the R1 is brake fluid, which doesn't mind the cold.

4xBoy

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2006
Minneapolis
Having rode them at rays for a weekend, I already don't mind them, I would buy the I spec again if I did it over.

ldw222

Monkey
Jun 16, 2009
Rochester, NY
Keep us posted! :thumb:
The XTR Trail levers and 4 piston Saint calipers are a complete success so far. I've only been on them for a couple weeks but they feel really good. The real test though will be if they don't blow out like the Saint servo wave levers have all done to me. So far so good though. My local shop got the levers only to me (no calipers or anything) for $270.

Uncle Cliffy

Turbo Monkey
Jan 28, 2008
Southern Oregon
The XTR Trail levers and 4 piston Saint calipers are a complete success so far. I've only been on them for a couple weeks but they feel really good. The real test though will be if they don't blow out like the Saint servo wave levers have all done to me. So far so good though. My local shop got the levers only to me (no calipers or anything) for $270.
Man, this sounds great. I've been riding some XTR Trails for a couple weeks now and I'm floored with their feel. Such short levers to get massive power! It would be nice to have the same lever feel on my big bike. :thumb:

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Do keep us updated after some ride time, it sounds like a great combo but I'm over shimano stuff after a whole bunch of lever dramas on both the new saint and XT brakes. They used to be the benchmark for reliability, so much so that I wanted to like them, but now they've droppped the ball.

My levers would always get closer and closer to the bar, and there would be fluid all over the lever after a few weeks.

I'd be interested in hearing how much throw (short, average, long) the XTR lever gets before engagement, and more importantly if there are any variations in that over a month.

Also does the power seem to be the same as the standard M810?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Do keep us updated after some ride time, it sounds like a great combo but I'm over shimano stuff after a whole bunch of lever dramas on both the new saint and XT brakes. They used to be the benchmark for reliability, so much so that I wanted to like them, but now they've droppped the ball.

My levers would always get closer and closer to the bar, and there would be fluid all over the lever after a few weeks.

I'd be interested in hearing how much throw (short, average, long) the XTR lever gets before engagement, and more importantly if there are any variations in that over a month.

Also does the power seem to be the same as the standard M810?
Having ridden a friend's bike with the same setup, here are my thoughts:

Lever throw is average, but the feel is much smoother than with the Saint levers. Ergonomics are substantially better as well. I've got big hands but still prefer to run my levers close to the bar and the XTR levers were more capable of doing so well. Power is down slightly, but not a lot. Mostly it's just the initial bite that's dropped a bit, if you get on the brakes hard there's still a ton of power.

Huck Banzai

Turbo Monkey
May 8, 2005
Transitory
Whats the story with the Servo Wave levers? I sometimes miss huge things.

My Saints have been great, but most recently a bit close, then far, then close, then far

The pads are done, so I was putting it down to that and heat (du to little to no pad material)

I tend to have good luck with mechanical stuff, but better informed than not.... it took me several years to finally have an issue with a CK headset on a DH bike despite being an avid defender, so trying to keep an open mind.

ldw222

Monkey
Jun 16, 2009
Rochester, NY
Whats the story with the Servo Wave levers? I sometimes miss huge things.

My Saints have been great, but most recently a bit close, then far, then close, then far

The pads are done, so I was putting it down to that and heat (du to little to no pad material)

I tend to have good luck with mechanical stuff, but better informed than not.... it took me several years to finally have an issue with a CK headset on a DH bike despite being an avid defender, so trying to keep an open mind.
alot of people just seem to have had the same issues with the levers. they get closer and closer to the grip and there's fluid all over them so it's getting out and air's getting in. we all like the way they feel and stop (when they work) and we're all just trying to find a way to keep them working...

SlackBoy

Monkey
Apr 1, 2002
Wellington, New Zealand
alot of people just seem to have had the same issues with the levers. they get closer and closer to the grip and there's fluid all over them so it's getting out and air's getting in. we all like the way they feel and stop (when they work) and we're all just trying to find a way to keep them working...
the way to keep them working is to send em back and get new ones. Most of them fail at the master cylinder seal.

Routier07

Monkey
Mar 14, 2009
So I figure I can just connect the stock Saint M810 BH80 hose to the XTR Trail levers, and do a simple rebleed?

Which Shimano brake hose did you use? XTR Trail specific (SM-BH 90) or Saint hose? Thanks.

worship_mud

Turbo Monkey
Dec 9, 2006
shimano should finally start doing SS caged XTR RDs again! it's a PITA to frankencage this thing together... but it works fine! :D

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
How are people going with their XTR trail + Saint caliper brakes? ldw222?
I'm interested in hearing if power is better/worse/same compared to the standard lever.

Also interested in seeing what changes shimano make to the next saint brake, which will presumably use one of the new XT/XTR style levers. Hopefully no leaks and changing lever throws this time. Top loading pads would be cool too (if shimano is listening)!

I'm currently riding XTR Trail stock, first impressions are great (previous owner of Code 2010, 2-pot Saint, Elixir, BB7...).

In my drawer there's brand new Saint 4-pot caliper, waiting to be mated with XTR Trail levers. Should be an interesting combo.

ldw222

Monkey
Jun 16, 2009
Rochester, NY
How are people going with their XTR trail + Saint caliper brakes? ldw222?
I'm interested in hearing if power is better/worse/same compared to the standard lever.

Also interested in seeing what changes shimano make to the next saint brake, which will presumably use one of the new XT/XTR style levers. Hopefully no leaks and changing lever throws this time. Top loading pads would be cool too (if shimano is listening)!
well udi...so far so good! i've been using them and haven't had any issues with leaks or the lever throw changing. and they are super powerful...probably about the same as the saint levers as far as that goes. they feel solid and i'm really hoping they last...i'm so sick of messing with my brakes.

lachy_mtb

Monkey
May 25, 2008
I'm running the xtr saint set up. I honestly find no difference in power, I did find they how ever a little harder to set up the way I like, but once I got it done, they pull exactly where I want them. The smaller levers are wicked (this was the main reason I went for the set up, my bike weights 18.5 kgs, losing a few grams doesn't matter).

no skid marks

Monkey
Jan 15, 2006
ACT Australia
I'm running the xtr saint set up. I honestly find no difference in power, I did find they how ever a little harder to set up the way I like, but once I got it done, they pull exactly where I want them. The smaller levers are wicked (this was the main reason I went for the set up, my bike weights 18.5 kgs, losing a few grams doesn't matter).
Sorry, but you mean "no difference in power" compared to Saint-Saint set up right?

richgardiner

Monkey
Aug 19, 2008
Anyone got any further experience on this setup?
Also, is there that much changes between the new style 2012 xt levers and the xtr trail levers? Getting kinda fed up of inconsistent lever feel with my saints

epic

Turbo Monkey
Sep 15, 2008
How does Saint + XTR deal with heat? I may be wrong, but my understanding was that XTR Trail doesn't have an expanding reservoir or anything, and the heat is dealt with at the caliper through the ceramic pistons, finned pads and icetech rotor. If you take all of that away, don't you get pump?

Udi

RM Chief Ornithologist
Mar 14, 2005
Every open-system brake has an expanding reservoir (i.e. a compensator/bladder of some sort) and the new XTR lever would be no different. It's there to cater not only for heat, but for pad wear (i.e. maintaining lever stroke as pads wear) so it'd make no sense for the new lever to not work the same way.

It would just be hidden inside somewhere, like current avid and formula levers.