Quantcast

Shipping cost?

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
I sold my bike (33lbs) and packaged it up. With box, just say 50lbs. What are you guys paying for FedEx or UPS last time you shipped a bike in the US? $50, 100, 150?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
TOO damn much.
it's the dimensional weight that screws you.
ask your local shop (who likely has an account) if they can ship it for you for any savings.

Electric_City

Torture wrench
Apr 14, 2007
Shipping it from work. $135 F'ing USD via ups!

When I wanted to ship my bike to Whistler bikeflights.com wanted $600 or something outrageous when I can fly with it for $300. But this time it was strange. It came up with 4 offers by FedEx. The first one was $55 for 2 day. The others were all $201 buy by FedEx also. Insured was $75.

Last edited:

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
I used to use the post office, but they made their max package size harder to acheive with bikes. They would do them for $75.

The last two I shipped through UPS/Fedex were closer to $175 if I remember right. Just shipped them out a few months back.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
Via fedex, $125.

Via shipbikes.com, $60.

I have used shipbikes in the past, it's literally a storefront offering you their reduced shipping rate. Not sure how it's legal, but my bike was handled by the same shitty fedex people that you would pay for normally. They managed to drop the bike along the way and I thought it was toast, but it ended up OK. Shipbikes wasn't the problem though.

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
it's the dimensional weight that screws you.
this. the combined measurements of the box usually put you in some sort of 'oversized' category.

I have also noticed in the past if I can keep the shipment in state (versus going across the US), or close to my state it helps keep the cost down.

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
Hmmm. Just got a quote from Canfield. Bellingham UT to Knoxville TN for $25 for just a frame. I know they are a distributor but I assume it will come in a bike box. I have never understood shipping rates. It seems every time it's a different price.

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
Hmmm. Just got a quote from Canfield. Bellingham UT to Knoxville TN for $25 for just a frame. I know they are a distributor but I assume it will come in a bike box. I have never understood shipping rates. It seems every time it's a different price.
One small correction - it will come from Bellingham WA. :) What are you getting?

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
One small correction - it will come from Bellingham WA. :) What are you getting?
My bad. Fat finger strikes again. I guess I just remembered the Bros use to be in UT. My brain takes a while to catch up.... at least I got the city right!

I got a Jedi for my wife. She got the DH bug again after going to the Windrock GRT.

Last edited:

blindboxx2334

Turbo Monkey
Mar 19, 2013
Wets Coast
they could have a business acct which allows them to ship things at a cheaper rate (win/win for both sides). although I do agree in regards to your last sentence, sometimes you walk into the place, and you have no idea what it is going to run you to ship something.

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
Via fedex, $125.

Via shipbikes.com, $60.

I have used shipbikes in the past, it's literally a storefront offering you their reduced shipping rate. Not sure how it's legal, but my bike was handled by the same shitty fedex people that you would pay for normally. They managed to drop the bike along the way and I thought it was toast, but it ended up OK. Shipbikes wasn't the problem though.
who packaged it?

kickstand

Turbo Monkey
Sep 18, 2009
Fenton, MI
me. you use them to print your label, slap it on your box, and drop it off at fedex. that worked fine. It was just fedex's handling and my packaging that created some risk.
You addressed the root of my question. You packaged it. It's a given that your package will be treated like a bouncy ball....doesn't matter who is shipping it.

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
You addressed the root of my question. You packaged it. It's a given that your package will be treated like a bouncy ball....doesn't matter who is shipping it.
It would be fun to put a gforce tracker of some sort like the mythbusters use in a package to see if you would die or not if you shipped something alive.

canadmos

Cake Tease
May 29, 2011
Canaderp
It would be fun to put a gforce tracker of some sort like the mythbusters use in a package to see if you would die or not if you shipped something alive.
You can buy these and they aren't expensive. You stick it on your package and the thing will break if subjected to a given force.

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
Just got a quote from the UPS store to ship my fork to Fox. $98! No thanks, that's crazy talk!

I buy 2" OD bearings by the hundreds and they only cost $10 for shipping. I'm talking 50lbs of bearings at minimum.

Last edited:

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
Just got a quote from the UPS store to ship my fork to Fox. $98! No thanks, that's crazy talk!

I buy 2" OD bearings by the hundreds and they only cost $10 for shipping. I'm talking 50lbs of bearings at minimum.
Where the hell are you shipping from? The store was likely ripping you off. Even across the country it should only be ~$25

You can sign up for your own shipping account online, only takes a few minutes and you get a rate discount. I use my FedEx acct the most.

troy

Turbo Monkey
Dec 3, 2008
Usually larger packages are priced by volumetric weight (using some formula, different for each shipping company), not the actual weight. You have to remember that using not rectangular box or wrapping the box with some foil adds a lot of cost, because it becomes a "non standard package", so have it in mind. Also, companies that have a deal with for example UPS or DHL or whatever, have discounts as high as 70-90% off the retail price for their shipping services.

Muddy

ancient crusty bog dude
Jul 7, 2013
Free Soda Refills at Fuddruckers
Usually larger packages are priced by volumetric weight (using some formula, different for each shipping company), not the actual weight. You have to remember that using not rectangular box or wrapping the box with some foil adds a lot of cost, because it becomes a "non standard package", so have it in mind. Also, companies that have a deal with for example UPS or DHL or whatever, have discounts as high as 70-90% off the retail price for their shipping services.
2 Years into this large scale shipping restructure and it's still upsetting people. Right about shipping complete bikes - what used to be 50-70.00 is now a minimum of 140.00

Have been told that Jet Blue is very well served to other cyclists; the highest levels of the Company apparently have some Cycling roots.

That's neither here-nor-there though. USPS is a great alternative domestically - UPS and FedEx still can provide a fine rate based alternative. But sending a bike on a trip is no longer the simple decision it once was.

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
Larger companies get volume discounts on shipping, don't forget.

go to bike shop for box, hopefully free
pack fork
ship to PUSH, not Fox, via USPS
I have the original box for the fork. I'm gonna swing by a lbs and I'm sure it will be better.

djjohnr

Turbo Monkey
Apr 21, 2002
Northern California
I just ran a shipping estimate with my Fed Ex account -

- From California to New York
- Fox shipping box (34 x 8 x 4)
- 6 lbs
- $1000 insurance

Fed Ex Ground - $23.27

mrgto

Monkey
Aug 4, 2009
I just ran a shipping estimate with my Fed Ex account -

- From California to New York
- Fox shipping box (34 x 8 x 4)
- 6 lbs
- $1000 insurance

Fed Ex Ground - $23.27
I have my own buisness but I don't ship much stuff, but I'm definitely gonna look into this. Most of my products have to be shipped by freight companies because of weight. Thanks for the heads up.