Quantcast

Shit that happens with Airlines, thread

mykel

closer to Periwinkle
Apr 19, 2013
sw ontario canada
"Last week, the Federal Aviation Administration decided it wouldn't regulate seat size or legroom, because it believes neither influence the safety on board a plane."

WTF? @Pesqueeb Can you throw a little shade on how packing them in and making it almost impossible to move does not effect safety?

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
"Last week, the Federal Aviation Administration decided it wouldn't regulate seat size or legroom, because it believes neither influence the safety on board a plane."

WTF? @Pesqueeb Can you throw a little shade on how packing them in and making it almost impossible to move does not effect safety?
If you can't move, you cant get injured, duh. Its called "Teh Sardine Effect"

Pesqueeb

bicycle in airplane hangar
Feb 2, 2007
Riding the baggage carousel.

Perhaps @Jm_ has more insight on this, but as I understand it, the feds don't give a shit about your "comfort". It's about can you evacuate the aircraft in a certain amount of time in an emergency. I have no idea what this time equals off the top of my head but, if an airline could give you 4" of hip room and strap you to an ejector seat that gets everyone off the aircraft within that time frame, they would. The only thing stopping that scenario is the fact that an ejector seat+parachute is heavy and requires regular maintenance, which is expensive. Meeting the evacuation time is what determines how many emergency exits there are on any particular air frame type.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Perhaps @Jm_ has more insight on this, but as I understand it, the feds don't give a shit about your "comfort". It's about can you evacuate the aircraft in a certain amount of time in an emergency. I have no idea what this time equals off the top of my head but, if an airline could give you 4" of hip room and strap you to an ejector seat that gets everyone off the aircraft within that time frame, they would. The only thing stopping that scenario is the fact that an ejector seat+parachute is heavy and requires regular maintenance, which is expensive. Meeting the evacuation time is what determines how many emergency exits there are on any particular air frame type.
Exactly that, and it's 90 seconds. There are other criteria as well, but that's the main part. It determines how many seats really, not so much how many emergency exits, even though they are somewhat dependent on each other.

One of my projects in graduate school was to develop a computer simulation for evacuation of the A-380. We found that under optimal conditions, it was possible, but when we slowed down a certain percentage of the population to around 70% speed, such as representing old people, it was no longer possible.

I think there are issues that need to be solved, but they aren't the FAA's area of responsibility. Things like noise levels during flight and on the ramp where you have to marshal people, possible vaporized oil in the air system, effects of squeezing people into tight spots (clots, etc), keeping passengers locked down because the airline doesn't have a gate or air-stairs, and so on.

I refer you back to post #71

6thElement

Schrodinger's Immigrant
Jul 29, 2008
Instead of just randomly posting links, how about you comment on what you're posting too?

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
The underlying narrative is that he gets his news from MSN. Probably has the default Windows background, too. It's not a pretty picture, his life.

KenW449

Thanos did nothing wrong
Jun 13, 2017
Floating down the whiskey river...
Instead of just randomly posting links, how about you comment on what you're posting too?
It took moar effort to write that than it does to click the link.

The underlying narrative is that he gets his news from MSN. Probably has the default Windows background, too. It's not a pretty picture, his life.
It is standard, i dont care enough to change it.
The terrible picture of my life... it looks something like a mix between a shitzu owned by a chick with one tooth and @canadmos legs.

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Going to be pretty hard to top this:
https://www.yahoo.com/gma/stolen-plane-crashes-unauthorized-takeoff-seattle-airport-source-043310156--abc-news-topstories.html?.tsrc=bell-brknews

https://www.cnn.com/2018/08/11/us/plane-crash-unauthorized-takeoff/index.html

https://heavy.com/news/2018/08/seatac-plane-stolen-hijacked-grounded-seattle/
(ATC recordings at bottom)

Guy steals an airliner, flies around Rainier, goes around the Olympics, does a barrel roll (there is video of this too). I just listened to all of the ATC tapes, it's the most bizarre thing I've ever heard on ATC. Guy asks for the coordinates for the Orca with the dead baby so he can fly by. They are saying he didn't get shot down and it sounds like he just ran out of fuel based on the tapes.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
he wanted to fly a plane....he flew a plane....live your fucking dreams....

20180811_060739.jpg

Jm_

sled dog's bollocks
Jan 14, 2002
AK
Likely, but apparently most of it was so destroyed you couldn't tell it was a plane.... no surprise there. So i guess his body was pretty disfigured... no surprise there.
You usually don’t find “bodies” in these cases, most just residue and scraps.