Quantcast

Shock Protests: Are they effective?

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
I understand the concept of picketing and marching to make a certain opinon known. Handing out fliers and holding rallies for a cause are great ways to spread and gain support for an idea....but what about these shock protestors?

ie....naked protests, red paint throwing, traffic clogging....things of that nature. Why do people participate in these kinds of protests?

Do they really help the cause, or cause detriment by making those who follow it look like idiots?

Anyone have an example of this kind of protesting doing good?

LoboDelFuego

Monkey
Mar 5, 2002
While they do draw lots of attention, most of it is negative, and peope will pay more atttention to the naked G-8 girls that their message. I think people just do that stuff as an excuse to riot and pretend it is for an important cause

ohio

The Fresno Kid
Nov 26, 2001
SF, CA
I just replied roughly to this issue in the Lounge in the critical mass thread, but I'll paraphrase here.

They CAN work, if they're designed to change the perceptions and awareness of people outside the group they are directly attacking.

It's a lost cause if they are trying to change the minds of their "victims."

For an example, I'll use yours from the lounge. Look at what Greenpeace did to the whaling and tuna industries. I'm sure whalers hate them vehemently, but it doesn't matter because public awareness and opinion was affected so much that it's not in the whalers hands.

KFulch

Chimp
Jul 10, 2002
NC
I think they work on the level of bringing attention to the general public to their cause. If I see 18 or so naked women lying on the ground spelling the org's name, I will probably look into their background out of curiosity.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by Spud
Boston Tea Party - the Great Grand-daddy of US Shock Protests. Lots of liquor involved before the party I believe..

:eek:
Ummmm...beer... I mean grog... :D

But for me the answer is no. I am less like to pay attention to those who think they need stunts to get the arguments noticed.

I'm all for naked though... with or without a protest.

Serial Midget

Al Bundy
Jun 25, 2002
Fort of Rio Grande
Originally posted by KFulch
I think they work on the level of bringing attention to the general public to their cause. If I see 18 or so naked women lying on the ground spelling the org's name, I will probably look into their background out of curiosity.
I be checking out their boobs and seeing if the hair on their heads matched the hair under their arms... hippie chicks... :eek: :eek: :eek:

ummbikes

Don't mess with the Santas
Apr 16, 2002
Napavine, Warshington
There is no bad press for a grassroots movement. I had no idea who the heck the ALF was untill they started burning stuff. Now I know they are felons who like animals. I'm with 'mig more naked chicks has got to be good.