Quantcast

shoe size

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
That chart is off/wrong. The standard difference between mens and womens US sizes is 1.5 sizes. Meaning that if you wear a womens 8, you should likely be in a mens 6.5. If you are a man with a size 8 and want to wear a womans shoe you would need a 9.5. These are approximations as there is a difference in the overall shape and size. In general a womens last (form the shoe is made on) is slightly narrower then a mans, and may have slightly different toe spring and throat/vamp width. Euro sizes are different then American, and British. And to make things even more complicated Japan has it's own sizing system, too!

I am a cordwain (shoemaker) and will harp on stuff like this for days, but my standard advice is to ALWAYS try on any shoes that you are buying that you will wear with regularity or where fit is extra important (such as dance shoes or atheletic shoes such as cycling shoes, cleats, etc.). Remember that the fit of your shoes and health of your feet are mucho important. Mis-alignment and bad shoes will cause knee pains, back pain, headaches, neck pains, etc.

In addition, every shoemaker sizes a little different. (There is no such thing as "true to size"). I would try a 39, 39.5, or maybe a 40. What I do when mail ordering is to find the shoe in the store, try it on and find out exactly what size I need then go order it. If it helps, I wear about a 42 - 42.5 which fits my US men's 9 which would be a US womens 10.5 - 11, depending on the width of the foot.

Hope it helps! If you need any other info on shoes don't hesitate to ask.