Quantcast

Shop guys- we need a new clothing line

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
So for those of you that don't know, I spend summers managing a pretty heavily road oriented shop. For reasons I'm not going to get into, we're parting ways with Louis Garneau, who had been our primary clothing line for quite a while. We need something(s) to fill in. A decent line of relatively inexpensive shoes wouldn't be bad, but we'll probably just use Lake to fill a lot of that in, so that shouldn't be too much of an issue. Shorts are the biggie. We've bought a few samples of various stuff that a few of us have been playing product tester on, but haven't been blown away yet. Anyone got any good ideas?

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I should say we're talking moderately priced bread and butter type stuff here- we've got a few really Gucci brands, Exteondo, etc.

I'll look into Castelli. Thanks for the recommendation.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
Pearl Izumi comes to mind, especially since you mention shoes...and "bread and butter type stuff".

I freakin' LOVE my Sugoi RS bibs (not as much as my LG bibs, though)....think retail on them was $160

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Pearl Izumi comes to mind, especially since you mention shoes...and "bread and butter type stuff".

I freakin' LOVE my Sugoi RS bibs (not as much as my LG bibs, though)....think retail on them was $160
They make good stuff, but we dropped them a while back because they were a pain in the ass to deal with. Maybe they've gotten better?

The Garneau Carbon Ion shorts are still EASILY the most comfy and awesome I've ever used, except that the chamois is apparently not up to the shifting around on the saddle that comes along with mountain biking. As of Sunday I've trashed 3 pairs in about 9 months. The padding all ends up in one big wad in the middle of one ass cheek. Not nice. Garneau replaced the first two. When I get around to it, I'm going to see if they'll do it again, or if they're going to tell me to fvck off now that we're not a dealer.

Last edited:

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
I just picked up a pair of Carbon Ion bibs a few weeks ago. They are damn comfortable. I hope they don't fall apart on me because the fit is great.

Pearl Izumi and Sugoi are good options for having a range of stuff at different price points. The stuff I have from each has been good, though the PI shorts are not my favorite.

Castelli has good stuff and the few things I have from them are nice, but it seems like their lower end stuff is a bit lacking when compared to more value-oriented brands...could just be my own experience and some of the reviews I've come across, though. I have also been happy with Giordana and Capo. Both, however, are a bit on the higher end so they might not work for what you want.

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
They make good stuff, but we dropped them a while back because they were a pain in the ass to deal with. Maybe they've gotten better?
That could be. We're kind of spoiled, as a former co-worker is our PI rep, and the lady who hired him has been a customer of the shop's for quite a while.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
I would think about tying your clothes purchase in with a distributor, whether it is from your wholesaler (like QBP) or a bike manufacturer like Specialized.

Unless you are known for your clothing, I think it is better to get a good deal than get the best clothing available.

Otherwise, you would get an Assos distributorship.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
Deep in the heart of TEXAS
I think Canari is the best budget priced clothing line. I wear their stuff almost exclusively. They did my custom stuff too.

I can't speak for cheaper priced shoes, but I am impressed by Lake footwear. I have some CX410s I am riding and like them a bunch.

Descente has nice clothes too. Besides that...I am shocked by how well I'm liking some Bellwether Forma bib shorts.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I would think about tying your clothes purchase in with a distributor, whether it is from your wholesaler (like QBP) or a bike manufacturer like Specialized.

Unless you are known for your clothing, I think it is better to get a good deal than get the best clothing available.
We've been trying that a bit, haven't been too impressed with a lot of what we've found though.

Otherwise, you would get an Assos distributorship.
We are already an Assos dealer.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
I think Canari is the best budget priced clothing line. I wear their stuff almost exclusively. They did my custom stuff too.

I can't speak for cheaper priced shoes, but I am impressed by Lake footwear. I have some CX410s I am riding and like them a bunch.

Descente has nice clothes too. Besides that...I am shocked by how well I'm liking some Bellwether Forma bib shorts.
Canari is one we've been considering some, need to try a couple things from them first.

On those Bellweathers, do you have thighs? We tried those exact shorts, and all 3 of us who used them thought they were way too tight through the top of the thigh. And I'm 6' 165#, and was wearing a size large. It's not like I'm the Hulk.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006
The Bellweathers seemed short, but they are fine in the thighs. I am 5'11" and 185. They were much better once they were laundered. Still preferred Canari.

Try the Canari with the Evolution pad. I'll track you down a rep if you need me to. I really like their stuff.

JRogers

talks too much
Mar 19, 2002
Claremont, CA
Canari is one we've been considering some, need to try a couple things from them first.

On those Bellweathers, do you have thighs? We tried those exact shorts, and all 3 of us who used them thought they were way too tight through the top of the thigh. And I'm 6' 165#, and was wearing a size large. It's not like I'm the Hulk.
Hmmmm...I was going to mention Bellwether, but hadn't used any of their recent stuff; they seem to be a really good value and would probably sell well in a shop due to price. The shorts might be worth trying for me; I'm 5'9", ~162 and wear mediums usually due to skinny legs.

loco-gringo

Crusading Clamp Monkey
Sep 27, 2006

I rode the Forma bib again today. They are white. I felt a little discomfort, but adjusted and rode on. I actually used Chamois Butt'r today. Still, 33 miles in I looked down and saw blood. Yup...on the outside of my shorts. Good news is, the moisture transfer is good. The bad news, it was blood from the pad rubbing the skin off of my right nut until it bled. :shocked:

-dustin

boring
Jun 10, 2002
austin
You know, I just recently (like, last 2 rides) developed a similar problem/ issue with my LG bibs. Didn't realize it until I showered and felt the god awful sting. I've had them 1yr today. Not sure what has changed, but mother**** that hurt.

ire

Turbo Monkey
Aug 6, 2007
Blood?? About the only time I see blood is during 12 or 24hr races. I lube my a** up with Assos cream and I'm good to go. Pez Cycling did a review of the new Bellweather stuff and gave it favorable reviews, especially at the price point. I've been wanting to try it out since
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=8279

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Blood?? About the only time I see blood is during 12 or 24hr races. I lube my a** up with Assos cream and I'm good to go. Pez Cycling did a review of the new Bellweather stuff and gave it favorable reviews, especially at the price point. I've been wanting to try it out since
http://www.pezcyclingnews.com/?pg=fullstory&id=8279
I liked the fabrics and chamois, they just didn't fit right. At all. My boss felt the same.

We've settled on Mt. Borah for the more basic shorts, and a combination of Assos, Etxeondo, and the remainder of our high end Garneau stock, which is pretty sizable. We got a bunch of VoMax jerseys which we like.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Might be a bit late for suggestions, but the higher end Voler stuff was quite good for me. Might be worth checking out. Good bibs and race cut jerseys.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
Hopefully not too late for a suggestion, but I would encourage you to check out the Mavic stuff. I personally LOVE their shoes (best fitting and most comfortable cycling shoes I own) and I about to try out some of their apparel too.

For women, I would recommend the new LUNA Sport Apparel. I have a few pieces and they are very nice...a little pricey, but high quality and very comfortable and they seem to be pretty durable thus far. I wear my ProTeam shorts and Jersey the most (big surprise) but I also really like their base layer stuff and the chamois in the moon buggy shorts is really great (though I like my baggies a little longer than these, I wear the chamois much more with other outer shorts).

And, if you don't carry them, look into Swiftwick socks. Hands down the best I have ever had the pleasure of wearing.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Hopefully not too late for a suggestion, but I would encourage you to check out the Mavic stuff. I personally LOVE their shoes (best fitting and most comfortable cycling shoes I own) and I about to try out some of their apparel too.

For women, I would recommend the new LUNA Sport Apparel. I have a few pieces and they are very nice...a little pricey, but high quality and very comfortable and they seem to be pretty durable thus far. I wear my ProTeam shorts and Jersey the most (big surprise) but I also really like their base layer stuff and the chamois in the moon buggy shorts is really great (though I like my baggies a little longer than these, I wear the chamois much more with other outer shorts).

And, if you don't carry them, look into Swiftwick socks. Hands down the best I have ever had the pleasure of wearing.
We've been a Mavic dealer forever for their wheels/ rims, and have been carrying their shoes for a bit, but haven't done much clothing. The less expensive shoes have been decently popular, but we can't move any of the higher end ones at all- almost anyone who wants to spend that kind of money buys Sidis. Plus my boss and I both think they're horribly uncomfortable. Just not the right cut for either of us.

TreeSaw

Mama Monkey
Oct 30, 2003
Dancin' over rocks n' roots!
We've been a Mavic dealer forever for their wheels/ rims, and have been carrying their shoes for a bit, but haven't done much clothing. The less expensive shoes have been decently popular, but we can't move any of the higher end ones at all- almost anyone who wants to spend that kind of money buys Sidis. Plus my boss and I both think they're horribly uncomfortable. Just not the right cut for either of us.
Weird? Sq-Earl & I have both found the Mavic shoes to be the best fit (we haven't had Sidi to compare them to, but better than the Nike, Diadora, Garneau, Lake, Axo, 661 and others that we have tried). We both have Tempos now and ordered Mantra and Chasm shoes too. I wanted to try the Fury, but went with the Mantra instead so we'll see how they feel. One of my teammates replaced her Sidi's with them and loved the new shoes as well. Like anything else, it's all about your size/shape/preference.