Quantcast

Short cage GS rear mech with triple up front?

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
Can you use a short cage rear derailleur with a triple ring up front? Im looking into getting a clutch rear and I want a short cage while still using a triple up front but I'm sure I've read somewhere that the gs short is for a double in front and sgs long is for a triple?

Is it true that as long as you stay away from the extreme cross gearing ( large in front and large in rear ) combo the short cage will still work for the triple in front?

I know the trend is going either single or double up front on an all mountain bike setup but right now I like the triple for cetain situations.

rideit

Bob the Builder
Aug 24, 2004
In the cleavage of the Tetons
In general, no. Unless you cassette is no more than, say, a 12-30 spread. Large cassette, triple= SGS/ long cage derailleur.
There may be exceptions in what you can 'get' to work, but it won't work well, IME.

Racebike

Monkey
Jul 28, 2008
Sweden
Would strongly advise against a short/supershort on a triple setup unless you run a super tight cluster (i.e. 11/12-21/23)

If you run a "regular" sized cassette you will either have to have a chain that is a bit too short and really watch your gear choices or a chain that is too long for a lot of gear combos.

jasride

Turbo Monkey
Sep 23, 2006
PA
Thanks for the replies guys. Yeah I agree, prob go long cage if staying with triple. riding the bike for a bit with the triple to see if I want to keep it or go down to double.

trail season....

AngryMetalsmith

Business is good, thanks for asking
Jun 4, 2006
I have no idea where I am
Is it true that as long as you stay away from the extreme cross gearing ( large in front and large in rear ) combo the short cage will still work for the triple in front?
Yes. I've run short cages, triples, and larger cassettes since the 90's with no problems.

edit: This set up might be a bit more fussy to dial in when adjusting the cable tension.

Last edited: