Quantcast

Short Track

dhchix

Chimp
Mar 26, 2006
NC
I'm going to attempt my first ever short track series in October. Not sure what to expect......any advice or thoughts?

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
Expect to breathe harder and deeper than you ever have, your lungs will burn, your legs will burn, you might lose vision and you might get addicted to it. Seriously. It's a short period of time, but the whole idea is to go hard and fast the entire time to do well. I have never worked harder in my life as I have in short track races. The worse thing was to see Shonny Vanlandingham lap after lap get closer to lapping me!

Let us know how it goes for you!

Heidi

Der hund ist laut und braun
Aug 22, 2001
Bend, Oregon
It's a short loop - I've seen anywhere from 3/4 mile to 2 miles, that you race around for a set period of time (20-60 min.) + 3 laps, and the person who does the most laps wins. Usually they are not very technical and roadies who like crits can excel. Usually if you get lapped or are in danger of being lapped, they will pull you from the race and pro-rate your time.

dhchix

Chimp
Mar 26, 2006
NC
Expect to breathe harder and deeper than you ever have, your lungs will burn, your legs will burn, you might lose vision and you might get addicted to it. Seriously. It's a short period of time, but the whole idea is to go hard and fast the entire time to do well. I have never worked harder in my life as I have in short track races. The worse thing was to see Shonny Vanlandingham lap after lap get closer to lapping me!

Let us know how it goes for you!
Sounds like I have my work cut out for me. I just hope the XC and road rides I do between now and Oct 7th will get me through the race. I will be doing 30 mins plus 1 lap. Not to bad considering what the other classes are running.

I can just imagine the pressure you felt seeing Shonny getting closer to you. I would have freak out. Thanks for the insight. Gives me something to think about when I'm riding.

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO
I did a couple short track races during the summer to help my DH sprinting. It's all out, all you got for 30 - 45 minutes. My throat and lungs hurt for 2 days after my races. They are grueling and I hated every minute of my races....but found myself wanting more :banghead:

Have fun and good luck! You should also check to see if there are any cyclocross races in your area.

For me....I'm sticking to the BMX track :biggrin:

dhchix

Chimp
Mar 26, 2006
NC
I guess I better request an oxygen tank to be ready for me at the end of my run. :) All that pain and suffering doesn't sound fun but I have all ways been a glutten for punishment. My husband is going to compete as well so I want be the only one miserable. I'm sure most of the riders will be riding light bikes while I'm pushing around 30 lbs of Intense 5.5. Like they say "what doesn't kill you will only make you stronger". :biggrin:

weimie

Monkey
May 11, 2006
Boulder, CO
I rode my Intense 5.5 when I raced short track....just lock out the rear shock.

A lighter hardtail is ideal for short track but unless you're serious about the races there is no need to get a different bike.

I think next year I'm going to ride my cyclocross bike. My bf rode his singlespeed and always placed top 10 in Men's B.

Excellent bike choiceage by the way dhchix :biggrin: I love my Intense!

dhchix

Chimp
Mar 26, 2006
NC
I rode my Intense 5.5 when I raced short track....just lock out the rear shock.

A lighter hardtail is ideal for short track but unless you're serious about the races there is no need to get a different bike.

I think next year I'm going to ride my cyclocross bike. My bf rode his singlespeed and always placed top 10 in Men's B.

Excellent bike choiceage by the way dhchix :biggrin: I love my Intense!
That is a good idea. My husband and I just wanted to try something different since the DH race season is over with. We have also talked about cyclocross as well. That looks like a lot of fun. I have really enjoyed my Intense bikes. I have the 5.5 (XC), just got the 6.6 (use for light DH courses and some XC) and my M3. As you can see we work to support our biking.:biggrin:

dhchix

Chimp
Mar 26, 2006
NC
Can you tell any difference between the 6.6 and the 5.5? I've been thinking of getting a XC bike with a little more travel in it.
Both the 5.5 and 6.6 ride well as XC bikes. I can't say that I prefer one over the other. If you enjoy your 5.5 I think you would like the 6.6. I have noticed when jumping the 6.6 it is harder for me to get it off the ground and go the distance of my 5.5. I though it was just me getting adjusted to the bike but my husband agreed with me and he enjoys catching air. Of course, it could be a mental thing. :biggrin:

dhchix

Chimp
Mar 26, 2006
NC
Hello Ladies,

My husband and I did our first ever short track event today. It was hard but fun. I was really shocked at the turn out for this event. There were seven in my husband's class and he finished third. Pretty good I think. I on the other hand had no one but myself. :disgust1: I rode hard but when I got tired I was able to relax and then get back into it. I find it hard to really push myself if I don't have other women out there to compete against. Of course the men gave me a run for my money but it is not the same. I did accomplish a minor crashed today. :shocked: It was a sharp turn and I was cutting in as tight as possible so I could flow out of it with some speed and down I went. I was to close to the brush and my front wheel lost traction in some gravel. Good thing I have plenty of booty to adsorb the fall. Over all the event was good. I will be doing more of these races. :D