Quantcast

$tinkle

Expert on blowing
Feb 12, 2003
13 seconds in....
Its not completely clear but it does sound a lot like kill him.

(sorry tried to embed but it just isn't working for me today)
that was alan hale jr. screaming "Gilligan!"

dude's totally lost it

Jim Mac

MAKE ENDURO GREAT AGAIN
May 21, 2004
the middle east of NY
Here's a new "shot" potentially at Obama the Bear:

Dead bear covered with Obama signs found at school

CULLOWHEE, N.C. – Police at Western Carolina University and wildlife officials were investigating the discovery early Monday of a dead bear cub draped with a pair of Barack Obama campaign signs.

Leila Tvedt, associate vice chancellor for public relations, said Monday night that maintenance workers found the 75-pound bear cub shot to death in front of the school's administration building at the entrance to campus. The Obama yard signs were stapled together and placed over the bear's head, Tvedt said.

The bear had been shot in the head, Tvedt said.

"Western Carolina University deplores the inappropriate behavior that has led to this troubling incident," Tvedt said. "We cannot speculate on the motives of the people involved nor who those people might be. Campus police are cooperating fully with authorities to investigate this matter."

University police called in state Wildlife Resources officials to remove the body and help in the investigation.

Bear season is under way in western North Carolina

Link: http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20081021/ap_on_el_pr/obama_dead_bear

BurlyShirley

Rex Grossman Will Rise Again
Jul 4, 2002
TN
North carolina has a 'bear season?????'

Fukkin rednecks. Shooting a cub to make a point is pretty weak.
Well, you're damned if you do, damned if you don't out east here. Either you keep populations low by allowing hunts or they start getting killed because they live off people's trash or get smashed on the highway... then people die too.
Not near enough open range here.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
Well, you're damned if you do, damned if you don't out east here. Either you keep populations low by allowing hunts or they start getting killed because they live off people's trash or get smashed on the highway... then people die too.
Because before rednecks came along, the world was overrun with bears EVERYWHERE! It's a good thing people are allowed to shot them a few month out of the year. Otherwise we would never be able to build n8mansions in their habitat.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Even if culling the population is good for the population, shooting a cub is pretty reprehensible.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Because before rednecks came along, the world was overrun with bears EVERYWHERE! It's a good thing people are allowed to shot them a few month out of the year. Otherwise we would never be able to build n8mansions in their habitat.
Well to be fair, like I said, if the rednecks to didn't pay for the right to be able to kill them, we'd be paying tax dollars to some fish and game guys to keep the populations down. There's just too many people and too much sprawl for the population to remain unchecked. Blame people who decide to have chidren I guess.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Even if culling the population is good for the population, shooting a cub is pretty reprehensible.
In this situation, killing a Bear for a political statement obviously seems wrong, regardless of its age. But in general I dont care the age of Bear people shoot.

Edit: I was more responding to Kidwoo's question of NC having a Bear season.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
Getting off topic but I still don't buy it.

I can't imagine there are more bears in NC than there are here and there's no friggin 'bear season'. I see probably 10-20 a summer, usually in my front yard. I used to ride pisgah and tsali all the time and never once even saw bear shlt.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
We are filthy with black bears around here. With mild winters they don't have to bulk up very much to survive. Small bears don't need large territories. They only need a few square miles versus 20 or so in tougher alpine areas. I'd guess the average bear around here weighs less than the average person.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Getting off topic but I still don't buy it.

I can't imagine there are more bears in NC than there are here and there's no friggin 'bear season'. I see probably 10-20 a summer, usually in my front yard. I used to ride pisgah and tsali all the time and never once even saw bear shlt.
Ive taken some courses that go pretty in-depth into Bear management. They aren't prolific breeders or anything, but they do require pretty significant acreage for a home range, so when you have as little "wild" land as you do in NC and TN, it doesn't take long for things to get out of control. East TN and West NC actually have the most dense Bear population in the world... particularly the Smokies area... so allowing hunts isn't any more detrimental to them than anything else.
Would I want to kill a Bear? Not at all. But it makes sense for people to be allowed to given the data I've seen.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
East TN and West NC actually have the most dense Bear population in the world... particularly the Smokies area... so allowing hunts isn't any more detrimental to them than anything else.
Would I want to kill a Bear? Not at all. But it makes sense for people to be allowed to given the data I've seen.
Drop me some knowledge yo.

Fish and game have something on this?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Drop me some knowledge yo.

Fish and game have something on this?

Well, I've pretty much given the gist of it, but the smoky's bear management page gives an idea as to how common they are in that area.

Great Smoky Mountains National Park is one of the few places remaining in the eastern United States where black bears can live in wild, natural surroundings. For many, this famous Smokies’ resident is a symbol of wilderness.

Bears inhabit all elevations of the park. Though populations are variable, counts conducted in 2006 indicated approximately 1,500 bears live in the park. This equals a population density of approximately two bears per square mile
http://www.nps.gov/grsm/naturescience/black-bears.htm

And NC's DNR site shows that the population in that state climbed steadily from the late 80s until present.

http://www.ncwildlife.org/pg07_WildlifeSpeciesCon/pg7b5.htm#5

And if I recall correctly, in TN, hunting them just became legal again back in the 80s and populations have continued to expand. Apparently they were very rare in the from the 1910s until the 60s or 70s but have made a strong comeback.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
I'm kind of curious about the reasons for opening a season though. Like number of car accidents etc.....

But those sites are a start.

Thanks.
It could very well be that hunting wasn't yet necessary, but that implementing it beforehand was just being proactive. Either way, as long as the populations aren't drastically declining, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Traditionally bear hunting has been a means of sustenance in the area, from the indians to the squatters who took their land, so having the government come in and deny that when it's not any longer necessity to do so would just be making laws for the sake of doing so. After all, any value we place on a bear above a deer or a mouse in your food pantry that you try to trap is strictly a subjective value judgement. Bears arent on the endangered species list, and while I think they're cool, who am I to declare they have any more right to live than beef cattle or pigs on a farm? If anything, gathering the food manually by hunting things like deer or bear gives a person a better perspective and appreciation for the world than simply buying it off a supermarket shelf would.

Last edited:

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
If anything, gathering the food manually by hunting things like deer or bear gives a person a better perspective and appreciation for the world than simply buying it off a supermarket shelf would.
A lot of people hunt for sport and waste most of the animal compared to the Native Americans though. Plus modern hunting tools/techniques make it much easier.

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
A lot of people hunt for sport and waste most of the animal compared to the Native Americans though...
See, this is one of those statements that is (a) not really quantifiable and (b) even if it was, would still just be a personal value judgement. What percentage of an animal should have to be utilized for a person to be able to kill it? 50%? 75%?
Who gets to make that decision?
An elected official? A DNR biologist?
Is that even remotely enforceable?
And what defines use? Eating it? Using it to fertilize your garden? Making a rug out of it? A tee pee you need to live in? A tee pee for decoration?

You see what Im getting at here?

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Plus modern hunting tools/techniques make it much easier.
Yes, but the states have quotas for the number of bear that are allowed to be killed, so it's not as if the equipment results in any more deaths, and there's also the fact that these modern tools should, in general, make the death much less painful than, say, a rock spear or arrowhead.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
You see what Im getting at here?
Its still a point though about wasteful hunting. Bring back the wolf instead and change the balance of the ecosystem rather than just the deer problem.

I was riding at a local park a few weekends ago and some stupid f*ck hunter gutted his deer and left a huge pile literally 15 ft from the park lot :rant:

I suppose that's better than just taking the head and leaving the rest:twitch:

BurlyShirley

Jul 4, 2002
TN
Its still a point though about wasteful hunting. Bring back the wolf instead and change the balance of the ecosystem rather than just the deer problem.

I was riding at a local park a few weekends ago and some stupid f*ck hunter gutted his deer and left a huge pile literally 15 ft from the park lot :rant:

I suppose that's better than just taking the head and leaving the rest:twitch:
While I like the idea of bringing the Wolf back there's a couple things...

1st is that they tried this in the smokies throughout the 80s and 90s and it simply didn't work... they couldnt or wouldnt reproduce.
2nd is the fact that the Coyote moved in and basically assumed the Wolf's niche, thus we'd either (a) pollute the wolfe population by interbreeding and may as well just stay with the coyotes, (b) have to slaughter a bunch of coyotes first, which is basically just as bad as slaughtering anything else. Truth is the coyotes are here to stay no matter what we do.
3rd is that you'd never get past the public outcry releasing those things on public land, which is afterall where most hunting occurs and thus, where you'd need the wolves to be.

Wasteful hunting is a fair topic to discuss, but not a fair means of discrediting hunting at large as a means of population control.

kidwoo

Artisanal Tweet Curator
It could very well be that hunting wasn't yet necessary, but that implementing it beforehand was just being proactive. Either way, as long as the populations aren't drastically declining, I wouldn't have a problem with it. Traditionally bear hunting has been a means of sustenance in the area, from the indians to the squatters who took their land, so having the government come in and deny that when it's not any longer necessity to do so would just be making laws for the sake of doing so.

Don't give me that shlt. You people live off pigly wiggly and you know it.

After all, any value we place on a bear above a deer or a mouse in your food pantry that you try to trap is strictly a subjective value judgement. Bears arent on the endangered species list, and while I think they're cool, who am I to declare they have any more right to live than beef cattle or pigs on a farm?
Yeah and I use live mouse traps so I can dump them in unused vacation rentals around here. I'm consistent as fvck. :D

golgiaparatus

Out of my element
Aug 30, 2002
Deep in the Jungles of Oklahoma
I've thought this as well. I think the chances are high that some nut will try something. I think the chances are just as high that McCain will stroke out or something along those lines.

Basically it comes down to this: President Palin or President Biden, which one sounds more scary. I think the answer is clear, and if I had an equal opinion of both candidates this would certainly guode my vote.

cruzzer

Chimp
Sep 24, 2007
Just to put my 2 cents in here,, which I rarely do,, And for the record,, I'm voting for Biden for president. If you interview enough people you can come up with a great shock video.. .. That video was out in the sticks of ohio,, no big surprise you get some very narrow minded views,, if your are your not very aware of the world. Obama supporters are just as bad.. They interviewed people on the streets in Harlem and 97% said they were voting Obama(no surprise) but didnt know if his running mate was Palin or biden, thought Obama was pro life and against stem cell, also supported continuing the war,, They were against McCain because of "his political views".. and this is a tough election,, you pic McCain and you have a chance at loosing abortion laws.. Obama and you might loose the 2nd amendment.. Which HE IS ON THE RECORD for being against.. He said 3 years ago when He was running for the senate If he could he would make it legal for only police and military to have guns.. He is only saying different lately because He said He wouldn't have support in congress to ban all guns.. But most likely in the next 4 years 3 supreme court justices will step down and with a democrat heavy congress they could push very liberal judges into those seats..
Now don't get me wrong,, I'm not against Him,, just dont trust him either.. they are all politicians promising and lying just to get in office.. Just question who you are putting in,, and vote,, no matter who for,, as many died to give you the right to do so..

And last
"The only politician afraid of armed citizens are corrupt politicians.." One of our founding fathers said that, but I cant remember who right now..
Just remember once you loose the 2nd the others will follow,,
The 2nd,, right to keep and bear arms,, is not for hunting,, but its to keep the civilian public armed in case they need to defend themselves from thier own government and be able to take back control in case the government becomes too powerful or tries to take away the peoples rights..

As I have said entering the voting booth the last 20 years,, may god forgive us for what we are about to do..
I have faith in the system,, but not in politicians.. question all authority..