Quantcast

Should I laugh or cry??

MMike

A fowl peckerwood.
Sep 5, 2001
just sittin' here drinkin' scotch
Just got this email

IMPORTANT NOTICE

CSC IT Service group will be upgrading PCs running Windows XP SP1 to Servive Pack 2 (SP2) to enhance functionality and security, starting November 1st 2006 21:00 hrs and continuing on November 2nd 21:00 hrs for the remaining desktops.

This upgrade, pushed with the SMS tool, should take 1 hour and we REQUEST that you perform the following steps before leaving the office (November 1st and 2nd)

RESTART YOUR DESKTOP (click on Start menu, shutdown and select RESTART)

DO NOT LOG BACK ON THE NETWORK

DO NOT SHUTDOWN YOUR COMPUTER

We appreciate your collaboration
Didn't SP2 come out about 2 years ago?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
yeah, sad hes just getting SP2 and Vista is slated to be out before the year is out
IT in the business world runs on mature technology, it would be dumb to upgrade to the latest and "greatest" bugware for no good reason not to mention it might break a legacy application.

This is why MS releases blocking toolkits for IT every major upgrade they push out - SP2, IE7, etc...

You should see how far behind the US space program is on technology they take up on the shuttle.

Transcend

My Nuts Are Flat
Apr 18, 2002
Towing the party line.
Canada created high tech companies like RIM (blackberries) and ATI (video chipsets and first to market with GPU based computing), so maybe its just Quebec :biggrin:
Matrox is located about 10 mins from Mike's house. RIM was started in Ottawa, about an hour away, and barely outside of Quebec.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
Yah I've been driven by ATI headquarters in Toronto 2-3 times. RIM is still a big player. ATI is now owned by AMD. Matrox is a has been.

DamienC

Turbo Monkey
Jun 6, 2002
DC
syadasti said:
it would be dumb to upgrade to the latest and "greatest" bugware for no good reason not to mention it might break a legacy application.
Exactly. Hence...

You should see how far behind the US space program is on technology they take up on the shuttle.
The ground support equipment software for many space flight instruments, including one we're launching this coming Saturday, are still DOS based. It's prehistoric but it gets the job done without a lot of computational overhead but mostly because legacy applications are hard to dump on satellite programs that span decades.

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
The ground support equipment software for many space flight instruments, including one we're launching this coming Saturday, are still DOS based. It's prehistoric but it gets the job done without a lot of computational overhead but mostly because legacy applications are hard to dump on satellite programs that span decades.
Looks like the shuttle (or whatever comes next since thats near EOL) will be getting a 20 CPU 100 Gigaflop workstation soon.

In comparison, the latest nvidia G80 GPU (which will offer a form of stream computing) will have processing power many times greater in optimized tasks. I think the current folding@home client on the ATI X1900 GPU can do around 100 gigaflop in its BETA form. Stream computing sounds pretty cool - the line between GPU and CPU will blur in upcoming OS and applications.

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Xerox just upgraded to SP2 not that long ago too. The reason they waited so long is we have about 5000 embedded applications and software suites that need to be verified to work before upgrading everyone, otherwise the support group will spend 3 months listening to everyone bitching about how their little java applet doesn't run anymore or their old 1994 DOS based test instrumentation program that would cost $150,000 to replace with a current app suddenly doesn't work right, etc, you get the idea.