Quantcast

should recreational use of marijuana be legal?

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Changleen said:
The gateway drug argument only works whilst it is illegal and you have to go to your dealer to get it, who can also supply you with other illegal drugs. Once it is legal, no dealer = no gateway to other drugs.

Pot is not as dangerous as alcohol or tobacco. Period. Drug laws are hypocritical.

I would legalise weed, coke, opium, mushrooms, LSD but not crack or heroin.

Legalize, tax and regulate = Billions of $$$.
How do cocaine and crack differ, other than the people who use it? The big frenzy behind crack started because poor people used it not strung out businessmen. Both are quite dangerous, addictive and should be banned. Considering the two as different drugs is just as hypocritical as alcohol/pot laws.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Westy said:
How do cocaine and crack differ, other than the people who use it? The big frenzy behind crack started because poor people used it not strung out businessmen. Both are quite dangerous, addictive and should be banned. Considering the two as different drugs is just as hypocritical as alcohol/pot laws.
Crack is the freebasing form of Cocaine. Considerably more addictive and quite a lot stonger. Hundreds of thousands of professional people use cocaine every day and lead normal productive lives. It is abused, like alcohol by the few. Crack is almost instantly physically addictive. It's a much nastier drug.

www.erowid.org

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Arguing about legalizing marijuana is a waste of time. On one side, fools like N8 argue about its "criminality" even though millions of users function normally without ever committing even a traffic violation.

On the other hand, anyone who speaks up for marijuana legalization is immediately labelled a "druggie", and there have been some ridiculous penalties, like when Tommy Chong did 9 months for selling a glass water pipe, i.e. a Bong, but received the maximum sentence because he was an "advocate of marijuana abuse".

rockwool

Turbo Monkey
Apr 19, 2004
Filastin
It used to be legal in the -20ies. But then some powerful men/familes started lobbying against it. They had the help of a media mogul of that time who used racism to make it out as a "new" thing called marijuana was comming over the boarders with all them dirty folks... He made sure not to mention that marijuana was the same thing as hemp, because it was something ppl had a good relation to.

The other major palyers were:

The Du Pont family who were/are into plastic/nylon products that of course is made from PETROLEUM. The competition from clothes etc made from hemp and oil/fuel from hempoil had to be stopped..

The forrest owning families who thought that paper/cellulose from cut down trees that take 50-70 years to grow was a better source than hemp that only take 3 months (and has a higher cellulose %)..

The petroleum boys from Texas...

kahner89

Monkey
May 25, 2006
spokanistan
fluff said:
Legal? I say mandatory.
i agree because marijuana can serve as a great buissness tool, look at the Netherlands they have marijuana and XXX and they have less crime than any nation in the world. it just goes for show that drugs and sex are more useful than everybody thinks

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
Changleen said:
Crack is the freebasing form of Cocaine. Considerably more addictive and quite a lot stonger. Hundreds of thousands of professional people use cocaine every day and lead normal productive lives. It is abused, like alcohol by the few. Crack is almost instantly physically addictive. It's a much nastier drug.

www.erowid.org
It is the same drug with a different delivery system. Kind of like beer vs liquor. Anyone using it on a daily basis for an extended period of time and thinking they have a normal productive life is fooling themselves, or they get really ****ty coke. Crack is for poor people and because of that there has been a lot of fear mongering generated by the media while cocaine is more mainstream and has a strong voice for justification, but it is the same crap.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Weed is evil. I'm with N8 on this one. If God wanted it legal, he would have told GWBush to legalize it.

Buncha hippies. N8, pour me another martini.

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
Changleen said:

www.erowid.org
I have heard that, but there is also the debate how crack is a lower-class drug, whereas coke is upper; which results in a different penalty scheme. Comments about racial discrimination has started people looking at both forms of cocaine with equal regard.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Westy said:
It is the same drug with a different delivery system. Kind of like beer vs liquor.
Kind of, except you don't drink 330ml of liquor in one go, if you see what I mean.
Anyone using it on a daily basis for an extended period of time and thinking they have a normal productive life is fooling themselves, or they get really ****ty coke.
I dunno about that. In London a lot of people do a lot of coke a lot of the time. I'm sure it'd be just the same in NY, DC, LA, etc...
Crack is for poor people and because of that there has been a lot of fear mongering generated by the media while cocaine is more mainstream and has a strong voice for justification, but it is the same crap.
It's the same base drug but freebasing it changes what it does to you, and how, considerably.

LordOpie

MOTHER HEN
Oct 17, 2002
Denver
N8 said:
I don't think there is anything arbitrariy about the list at all... pot has been well proven to be to a gateway drug.
answer...
Denis Leary said:
"Pot isn't a gateway drug. Pot doesn't 'lead" to other drugs. Pot leads to carpentry. Like, 'Hey, I can make a bong outta this!'"

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Changleen said:
The gateway drug argument only works whilst it is illegal and you have to go to your dealer to get it, who can also supply you with other illegal drugs. Once it is legal, no dealer = no gateway to other drugs.

Pot is not as dangerous as alcohol or tobacco. Period. Drug laws are hypocritical.

I would legalise weed, coke, opium, mushrooms, LSD but not crack or heroin.

Legalise, tax and regulate = Billions of $$$.
Billions of dollars that would not go towards funding rehab......

You know it wouldn't make it there, no matter what party is in power.

N I C K

Chimp
Jun 12, 2005
Sunapee, NH
Recreational weed should most deffinatly be legalized. The fact that it is illegal is just stupid. If you look at alcohol... thats legal. Alcohol alters judgement same as pot, and when some people get **** faced they get angry. Honestly how many angry stoners have you ever seen? I know pot does do things to your body, but its not nearly as bad a ciggaretts, smoking weed wont give you cancer, and it is nearly impossible to overdose. So if pot is illegal they should outlaw alcohol, ciggarettes, chewing tabaco, cigars, pain killers. They all affect your state of mind and how you thing about things.

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
stevew said:

Probably true, but I'd rather my Government had more money than less in general, and I'd rather they got it in other ways than taxing me, and I'd also rather drug dealers and organised crime didn't get it.

stevew

resident influencer
Sep 21, 2001
Changleen said:
Probably true, but I'd rather my Government had more money than less in general, .........
You are a more trusting soul than I could ever hope to be.:)

Silver

find me a tampon
Jul 20, 2002
Orange County, CA
stevew said:

Does it matter? Most people who use alcohol aren't addicts. There's no reason to assume that alcohol is the only drug that can be used in moderation.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
If it's legalized then all the drug dealers would be out of business because everyone would be growing their own. Hmmm... :think: maybe it's the Humboldt cartels that are keeping it illegal. Hmmmmm....

Changleen

Paranoid Member
Jan 9, 2004
Pōneke
Ciaran said:
If it's legalized then all the drug dealers would be out of business because everyone would be growing their own. Hmmm... :think: maybe it's the Humboldt cartels that are keeping it illegal. Hmmmmm....
And, certain governments would no longer have an excuse to spend a bunch of cash with certain contractors on procurements for enforcement, building prisons, keeping lawyers busy etc etc etc.... Hmmmm....

fluff

Monkey Turbo
Sep 8, 2001
Feeling the lag
LordOpie said:
ADVICE: Don't answer the phone when you're stoned.
Heh, no kidding.

Back in the days when I used to use the evil weed I was sitting at home happily stoned with a good friend when I heard the doorbell. Now at the time I was selling my house and I'd agreed a price for a quick sale, but the sale had dragged on so I had told the buyers to up their offer or it was going back on the market (as they'd been the cause of months of delay). Lo and behold there they were, wanting to talk to me about it. So I invited them in and proceeded to have a very difficult conversation... Only the most naive of people would not have realised the state I was in. They upped the offer though (probably knew I needed to feed my habit).

valve bouncer

Master Dildoist
Feb 11, 2002
Japan
It's always interesting that when the subject of the legalisation/decriminalisation of pot is raised here the sum total of the arguements from the "anti" side is that "it's illegal because it's bad and it's bad because it's illegal":rolleyes:

Old Man G Funk

Choir Boy
Nov 21, 2005
In a handbasket
N8 said:
What? You are all sad because your little high isn't legal? What, you are too good for caffine?

Boo-hoo!!!
No N8, I'm not a pot smoker. In fact, I've never tried it, and I don't plan on it, even if it is legalized.

Pot does have medicinal uses. Ask anyone who suffers from glaucoma.

And, if you look at the designation for schedule I drugs, alcohol fits the definition. And, it seems that cocaine is listed as a schedule II drug. IIRC, schedule I drugs are worse than schedule II, so pot is a gateway to a drug that isn't as bad? Get a grip.

biggins

Rump Junkie
May 18, 2003
goofy said:
Imo there is no reason why it is illegal
sure there is a reason. the christian right, the beer companies supporting the war on drugs and therevenue generated by townships every time some kid gets busted with a quarter bag.

N I C K

Chimp
Jun 12, 2005
Sunapee, NH
Ciaran said:
Not if they still kept it illegal to grow... They could sell packs of joints or 1/8ths at the store. Then the government could still regulate it, and tax it, and they would make money. With which they could fund war with, or whatever they want. I mean the drug dealers would still have to get a real job like everyone else.

Ciaran

Fear my banana
Apr 5, 2004
So Cal
Changleen said:
And, certain governments would no longer have an excuse to spend a bunch of cash with certain contractors on procurements for enforcement, building prisons, keeping lawyers busy etc etc etc.... Hmmmm....
Shhhh... Keep your "thinkin" to yourself. Me and N8 don't wanna hear it!

N I C K said:
Not if they still kept it illegal to grow... They could sell packs of joints or 1/8ths at the store. Then the government could still regulate it, and tax it, and they would make money. With which they could fund war with, or whatever they want. I mean the drug dealers would still have to get a real job like everyone else.
How stoned are you, hippy? You make less sense than N8! The whole point of being a cannabis cartel is to NOT have to get a regular job!

kindtrails said:
Legalize It, Don't critisize it!
:thumb:

I found your number... I gotta call you today man. It's getting weird around here...