Quantcast

Shuttle Sugar?

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Blindly running into cactus
I thought the lifts opened on the weekends after memorial day but i just looked on their site and it says July 4th....so, i want to get in some runs and let the man-child try out the beginner DH course to see if he wants to race it this year, but i don't want to wait until July to do it. can we shuttle it? i know where my wife dropped us off two years ago by some condo's that put us up above the beginner start but is there a way to shuttle to the very top where the start of last year's sport/ex course was?
i'm thinking maybe a morning shuttle session with 2-3 runs and then hitting up some of the boone stuff??? :D

ridefast

Monkey
Jan 25, 2006
Not where I'd like
well i was shuttled to the condo spot at the 3/4 station last weekend by someone that ranks fairly high in the whole whats-happening-on-sugar-mountain scheme of things

we hiked the rest of the way to the top and did full runs

twice, two different sugar mtn employees stopped to watch us and then chatted with us about the course, bikes, etc

tubby, go ahead and take noah, the course was hooking up amazing and is exactly the same, save for a few things taken out for winter safety issues

the rest of you....ask if the xc fags have lift tickets, which if you do not have you are "technically" tresspassing....hell, they even have trail maps at the lodge

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
Cool. You can arrest yourself for trespassing.:busted:
how so? from skisugar.com

Hiking and biking trails intertwine throughout the Village of Sugar Mountain and are open and free of charge from dawn until dusk. Trail maps are located in a black, marked mailbox at the base of the Flying Mile slope. Trails are constantly being maintained so please be cautious. Also keep in mind that weather and other variables can change the condition of any trail. While riding a bike within the Village limits helmets are required.
seem okay to me.

Jeremy R

<b>x</b>
Nov 15, 2001
behind you with a snap pop
how so? from skisugar.com

seem okay to me.
I was just screwing around.
Years ago, we did get hassled by the actual owner.
All yelling at us in a foreign accent and stuff.
Sounded like Hitler. Good times.
We told him we would still buy a lift ticket, if he would just let us shuttle anyway, and not have to sit on the time machine that is the sugar lift.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
We told him we would still buy a lift ticket, if he would just let us shuttle anyway, and not have to sit on the time machine that is the sugar lift.
i know you were :cupidarrow:

my point is this. if they say we can ride the trails and the lifts aren't up and running, then why not shuttle? if the lifts were running i'd buy a ticket, it's slow but noah loves the ride up. i THOUGHT they'd be open after this weekend but i guess i thunk'd wrong.
now..i just need to teach noah how to drive a manual so he can be utilized as a shuttle driver :think:

frznnomad

Turbo Monkey
Jun 20, 2005
a-town biatches
okay so sugar can legally be shuttled. that is excellent i see a trip to banner elk and boone very soon. ohh and manimal there is no way to shuttle to the very top of the mountain unless your gonna be taking a four wheeler man. sorry.

manimal

Ociffer Tackleberry
Feb 27, 2002
damn i would have never guessed. so i think we found our replacement for the lift this year.
i've heard rumors of a baja kit for it, although i haven't been able to substantiate that claim as of yet.
any car buffs wanna do the research for me? :lighten: i'm an idiot when it comes to looking at car part stuff. baja kit for a '94 subaru legacy wagon.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Shuttling it is fine with Ski Sugar in a sense. What you have to be aware of is that the condos you pull into are privately owned and it's their lot. So if you park your car, it will get towed. This happened last year. Granted, the guy left it there for a long time that day...but it happens. If you go driving in that lot being either loud, chatty, driving more than 2 mph or anything less than retired looking, you can get flack.

As for getting to the top in a car, no can do. I even was given a key to the gate when I was cutting in the top stuff and she warned me not to shuttle from 3/4 to the top, only drive up to work.

bizutch

Delicate CUSTOM flower
Dec 11, 2001
Over your shoulder whispering
Oh..and the reason Gunter had gotten mad at us was because that was the year they finally started running the lifts June 1st through August and made the commitment to let bikes ride the lift. He got pissed b/c he felt like he was going out of his way to accomadate bikers and we were basicly skirting the system for free. I could understand his position.

Even asked Kim about it to see what she felt, and she said he cooled down within 10 minutes of the incident and felt bad for yelling at us.

ATOMICFIREBALL

DISARMED IN A BATTLE OF WITS
May 26, 2004
Tennessee
http://www.skisugar.com/liftrides/

July 4 &#8211; September 2, 2007
Weekend Scenic Lift Rides
Lift rides are available every Saturday and Sunday from 10 am until 5:30 pm. Bring the whole family, a picnic lunch, your mountain bike, or just a friend and enjoy a breathtaking 45 minute roundtrip lift-ride to Sugar 5,300 foot peak. The majestic scenery is worth it. Special weekday lift ride dates include July 4th, 5th, 6th, 26th & 27th.

For bike riders, specially made hooks on the backs of the chairs carry your bike to the top. Just hand your bike to the lift attendants at the bottom of the Gray lift, jump on the chair and enjoy the ride. The attendants will hang your bikes on the hook, and when you get off the lift another attendant will get your bike down for you, either at the 3/4 station, or at the top. The Village of Sugar Mountain town ordinance requires helmets to be worn by all bikers.

Lift hours are 10am - 5:30pm (weekends ONLY: July 4th through September 2, 2007). Lift ticket prices are $10 for a one-time ride, and $22 for an all day ticket. Kids 4 and under ride free with an adult.

Groups of 20 or more can buy one-time ride tickets for only $5. Advanced reservations required. Please call 828-898-4521 x 261.

JeffKill

Monkey
Jun 21, 2006
Charlotte, NC
"cough" "cough" ..bullsheet.
yeah..it sucks..but don't blow it out of proportion. It takes 25 minutes tops to get to the top. Oh yeah, it's a long time..but not 45 minutes.
Bullsh!t. We timed it. I've NEVER made it to the top of that lift in 25 minutes. If thats all it took, people wouldnt complain.

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
Yeah 25 minutes, thats more of an exageration, thats only if the lift doesnt stop 6 times on the way up, and that sh!t never happens. You may make it to the top in 25min on a rare occasion, I know I've timed it myself and the longest I've sat is 52 minutes, and that sucks. 25 min., is very wishfull thinking, to be consistant anyway.

JohnBoy

Monkey
Jan 15, 2007
Thats how I remember taking 52 min. to the top, thats the day my face and head got sunburn, my face hurt all week after that day. :disgust:

FCLinder

Turbo Monkey
Mar 6, 2002
Greenville, South Carolina
Its more like a 10 min to shuttle the road up to the 3/4 lift station and thats doing the speed limit. :lighten: My thoughts are buy a lift pass and shuttle up to the 3/4 station and get on the lift there. 5 to 10 min ride to the top from there. You have about 20+ mins in getting to the top. You would have to do 1 man outs on the shuttle though.

slim

Chimp
May 24, 2007
Seattle
just for the record.....i lived on sugar for 5 years, and you can drive to the top and you don't have to go through a gate, you just have to know how to get there. you do need 4 wheel drive, but it's more than do-able for a subaru. and yeah, hitler.......that's gunther and he's the mountain manager. he will yell at you for fun. not that nice of a guy. you are allowed to pedal wherever you want on the resort, no trespassing issues that i ever encountered. it's actually very friendly in that regard. just don't go rolling through condo flower beds and stuff.

there's some new development up there that can be utilized for shuttling......but it's all private land. best bet is the condo drop off. never had a problem there, as long as you're polite and quiet, as mentioned. only takes a few minutes to push/pedal to the top. if the lift is opened, it usually opens on or about the 4th, it's the fastest way to get up the mtn, unless you have a designated shuttle driver. shuttles have been going on there for years......

T-Pirate

RESPECT!
Sep 28, 2003
Boone, NC/N. Greenville county, SC
I rode out there today and got 3 runs in a little under two hours. I could have ridden a lot more but I just didn't want to sit on that lift by myself any more. It was definitely worth it to ride lifts 15 minutes away, but it certainly is slow. The course is pretty much pinned.