Quantcast

Shuttling the south sound

WARider

Monkey
May 21, 2003
A couple of us live in the Puyallup-eatonville area and we are constantly looking for something fun to shuttle around here. Is there anything up 410 worth searching for? What about up past Wilkenson area? Or how about up towards White pass?

We are building our Northshore stuff down closer to our home/work but there's only so much northshore type stuff I like to ride a week before I'm ready for our weekend trip over the pass to Tanem area for shuttling.

I'm just curious if anyone out there knows of some good shuttling spots closer to Puyallup vacinity (410) etc. We're willing to work on trails, share our secret spots, and take part in shuttling vehicle's for a good spot to ride!

We've heard of exit 38 but that's a good hour and a half from us, I'm just thinking there's got to be something up 410 towards crystal? I'm even down for a long fire road climb/hike if neccessary, anything closer is a plus.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
there is great riding along 410, but it involves climbing. well, i guess you could shuttle suntop -- i have before but felt that it was kind of silly. i recommend getting john zilly's book "kissing the trail", and just seeing which rides start with "climb fireroad for x miles".

out that way: suntop, skookum flats, noble knob...

WARider

Monkey
May 21, 2003
Don't get me wrong, I'm totally down for a climb it's just we got new DH bikes aside from our xc bikes and I wanted to start getting my friends out on some long decends so we can get some trail riding in. Most of them are about our new trail "hubs" I've been building for my friend to work on sponsorship footage but I get tired of the same trail of 100 yards every week and I want to start getting in some decends, even if there's an hour or two of hike a bike action going on. It would be nice if we could find something with a fire road to just walk up for a good hour to two hours followed by and all downhill decend. I like to ride xc, just not on my new beef cake DH bike.

I'll look into Suntop, I've heard it's shuttlable but I've been told that there's alot of rolling terrain too?

freerider188

Chimp
Jan 30, 2004
bremerton
welll man you really should try exit 38 i was just up there and it was awsome, my first time. yeah its about the same time for me from bremerton. Yeah if ya ever want to hook up to go up there and shuttle let me know it some fun stuff.:cool:

WARider

Monkey
May 21, 2003
Thanks man,

That's on our list of "to do's" for sure. It's just that it's about an hour & a 1/2 to 2 hours from us, 410 is much closer and I know there's got to be some south sound cats who utilize the 410 accesses...:confused:

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
You won't find much of secret stuff and if there is you won't see people talk about it on the internet because there are classic trail rides up past Greenwater, that are on Federal land. If those multi-use trails got closed down because of someone building northshore stuff on em i'd contemplate doing time for murdering someone.....
But the multi-use trails up there are definately fun.

Drive up 410
Past Greenwater quite a ways you'll take a right on FR 7160
Park there.

For a short easy trail ride that'll get you used to climbing death hills do Fawn Ridge, which is essentially the tail end of SunTop, which some claim is the best part....

Ride up the forest road 7160.
You'll get past the runway to the left, you'll get past the church camp to your right. If you're breathing heavy by the time you see a forest road to your left, you're really frikkin out of shape good luck! Ignore the forest road to the left and keep goin. You'll come to a lookout point where you can see the valley and the palisaides (rock cliffs on the ridge on the other side of White River(there is a mt. bike trail up there too)). Keep on pushing you'll run into the gate, you'll see a trail that leads to a clearing. If you are completely burned out and being a pussy go in here and bushwhack to your right you'll find the trail, but if you're a man keep on heading up you'll push up to the right, then push on up to the left around a bend you'll see the trail crossing the road. Trail 1183, go down, go fast make sure you are vocal in the blind spots and corners there are hikers and horses on this trail. I always yell "bike bike". When you get to the end you can hang a left on the road get back on 7160 take a right and you're done or you can push thru to the runway and campground and ding around there and see if you can find any sexy hippie chicks to hit on, or you can push thru and find the upper section of Skookum Flats trail and ride that back to the parking lot.

i'll be posting a Deep Creek ride (it's across the road from the Fawn Ridge Trail) here someday when the snow melts, anyone who likes classic downhill likes this trail. You lose about 3000 feet in 4 miles or so, a great trail to check to see if your brakes are good. You and your pals should tag along. There are a few more trail rides up there worthy of mention most of em you can shuttle, but DH bikes with over 7" and single speedin over 45 pounders are really overkill on all these trails (cept Deep Creek where you dont' really need it but makes the descent plush).....

oly

skin cooker for the hive
Dec 6, 2001
Witness relocation housing
Deep creek :thumb:

Thats the ride i broke int the banshee on. We did it a couple times that day. It would be ideal to have 3-4 trucks so you dont have to do the up and back drive if ya wanna do it more than once,. It was a blast! I did suntop too the hard way. I was beat by the time i reached the top. This was like 4 years ago now..... It was fun, but not a big bike ride.

Skooks, keep us posted on the 410 rides. There are 2 more races for me then ill have alot more free time on the weekends for sunday rides....

WARider

Monkey
May 21, 2003
Thanks guys!

So if there's no real big bike rides up 410, where do you all go? So far we've hit up Rat pac a few times, and then afternooned it to Tanem creek and did the shuttle their.

Originally posted by WARider
Thanks guys!

So if there's no real big bike rides up 410, where do you all go? So far we've hit up Rat pac a few times, and then afternooned it to Tanem creek and did the shuttle their.
Is that the Taneum creek trail you shuttle??? Or another trail in the taneum creek area??

I haven't ridden the the Taneum Creek trail in about 10 years, but i don't remember it being a 'DH Bike' type of downhill.

WARider

Monkey
May 21, 2003
Yep, you outa go check it out, there's only one spot of that I know of to shuttle, and its from the camp ground to the first trail crossing, it's fun, about a 6 min. dowhill.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Originally posted by WARider
Yep, you outa go check it out, there's only one spot of that I know of to shuttle, and its from the camp ground to the first trail crossing, it's fun, about a 6 min. dowhill.
There are about a handful of trails in Washington that are big bike worthy, and all of em can be aced by someone awesome on a hard-tail. So uhmm just some miscommunication due to perspective.... Taneum is all XC in my book. The only time you make it downhill is when you ride down the hill. And the best DH sections you have to ride to..... Almost ALL the multi-use trails in the mountains are like this.
Deep Creek from start to finish is a DH trail in a true sense, on your handlebars descent the whole way, but you gotta pedal a ways to get to the trailhead, and pedal once it turns into White River Trail.
Now you can shuttle Devils Gulch and only have to put in 50 pedal strokes maximum and let gravity do the rest for 10 miles of trail, but nobody is gonna call Devils Gulch a downhill trail per se.....
If all you do is shuttle your gonna run out of variety quick, that's why i pedal with gears, but what do i know......:p

WARider

Monkey
May 21, 2003
Skook,

Hey man, I think your mis understanding me, let me break it on down. Me and a few guys are looking for stuff that has fun downhill decents. I'm not looking for a Norba national DH only trail, I'm just looking for something that has a downhill ride for longer than 6 min. (Tanem creek)... I've ridden Ratpac, it's fun and shuttleable but it's short! I used to live in MT and rode Bozeman where we had "LONG" climbs, but then you were rewarded with at least an hour downhill. I then moved to CA and we hit up alot of Santa cruz during the week with Tahoe on the weekends. There's trails in Tahoe that literally have 6-10 mile downhill trails. Then I moved here a couple of years ago and rode dirtbikes last summer. This is my first summer on a DH bike as in the past I ripped it up on a Team homegrown hardtail, then had a light FR bike(AC2) that I used to ride Tiger Mtn. all summer the first summer I was here. Well now that I work at a bike shop and a couple of us ride DH bikes, we are in search of some long runs. My one bro likes air time so we've been hitting up our secret place along with a few others but I'm more into long flowy downhill trails that go for miles. To be honest, I don't care if I have to push a fire road for the first 2-3 hours in the morning, as long as it puts me at the top of a Mtn. with some great views to eat a packed sandwich and take it all in before we decend.

I ran into a guy that lived in Bonney lake a few years ago, he drove a big ole F-250 I believe, and he mentioned some spots up 410 that they shuttled and or hiked a bike to access a long decend. I went to dirtworld.com and printed the Sun-Top trail so I'm going to check that out! I'll look into Devil's gulch as I've heard good things about that as well. Shoot me a pm and lets chat or hook up on a ride!

Have a good one!
~J

gtastro

Chimp
Apr 22, 2002
in the 253
THere is one trail on the East side of 410 that I shuttled once back in the day. I was on my hardtail and wishing I had a big bike. The problem is it starts at the top of the world so there probally is still snow there right now. The trail is a moto trail so no conflict there. Its over near Naches and The starting point is called Ravens Roost. I would not want to get there without motorized assistance because it is at the top of the world. The first half of the downhill run is pretty steep with a few run ups, Then you cross the road and it gets more trailly but still goiing down. and it must be at least 10 miles long if not 15 or so.

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Ok then 410 trails followed by "shuttle" ability and mileage and elevation on the descent.
Huckleberry Ridge~Yes 6 miles of flat or climb 9 miles of steep descent/3000ft

Deep Creek~Yes 2 miles flat or climb 4 miles of steep descent/3000ft
Ranger Creek~ Yes 2 miles of flat or climb 8 miles of descent/3000ft
Palasaides~ Yes 4 miles of flat or climb 9 miles of descent/3000ft

Sun Top~Partly 3 miles of harsh climb 9 miles of descent/3000ft
Fawn Ridge.~Partly 3 miles of climb 2 miles of descent/1500ft

Crystal Mt.~No 7 miles of really harsh climb 7 miles of descent/2500 ft

Raven's Roost~Yes less than 1 mile of flat or climb 7 miles of descent/2500ft
Crow Creek~Yes 3 miles climb or flat 6 miles of mild descent/more than 1000ft

Little Bald Mountain~Not sure haven't ridden it yet 12 miles of descent/2800ft

The snow is gonna melt soon, i'd like to hook up with some of the East of the mountains PNW monkies and do Little Bald Mountain this year.

jeepmauler

Monkey
Mar 9, 2004
Lynnwood
Another area to investigate might be Evans Creek ORV park.The park is south of Wilkinson.There are alot of moto trails there that intersect roads on hillsides.Arm yourself with a topo map and a current map of the trail system and I'll bet you could hook up some cool D.H. lines to rip on.Contact the DNR for more info on maps etc.

WARider

Monkey
May 21, 2003
Originally posted by jeepmauler
Another area to investigate might be Evans Creek ORV park.The park is south of Wilkinson.There are alot of moto trails there that intersect roads on hillsides.Arm yourself with a topo map and a current map of the trail system and I'll bet you could hook up some cool D.H. lines to rip on.Contact the DNR for more info on maps etc.
Yeah, evans creek is the place I couldn't think of, I hit that up on my KTM last summer, fun place for sure! Thanks man!

WARider

Monkey
May 21, 2003
Originally posted by Skookum
Ok then 410 trails followed by "shuttle" ability and mileage and elevation on the descent.
Huckleberry Ridge~Yes 6 miles of flat or climb 9 miles of steep descent/3000ft

Deep Creek~Yes 2 miles flat or climb 4 miles of steep descent/3000ft
Ranger Creek~ Yes 2 miles of flat or climb 8 miles of descent/3000ft
Palasaides~ Yes 4 miles of flat or climb 9 miles of descent/3000ft

Sun Top~Partly 3 miles of harsh climb 9 miles of descent/3000ft
Fawn Ridge.~Partly 3 miles of climb 2 miles of descent/1500ft

Crystal Mt.~No 7 miles of really harsh climb 7 miles of descent/2500 ft

Raven's Roost~Yes less than 1 mile of flat or climb 7 miles of descent/2500ft
Crow Creek~Yes 3 miles climb or flat 6 miles of mild descent/more than 1000ft

Little Bald Mountain~Not sure haven't ridden it yet 12 miles of descent/2800ft

The snow is gonna melt soon, i'd like to hook up with some of the East of the mountains PNW monkies and do Little Bald Mountain this year.
Thanks for the list Skook, this will help us explore tremendously! One question though, these trails you speak of, are they listed in a good ride book, if so, do you have a reccomendation on which book to pick up? Or are they on the internet?

Anytime you want to go ride, drop me a line and we can set something up. I'm down for shuttling and I've got a truck to do so. Also, if you don't mind showing Jacob and I around the next time you go ride something great, I'd be super grateful!

Later man,
Josh

Skookum

bikey's is cool
Jul 26, 2002
in a bear cave
Oh yah just check out John Zilly books. You can get real maps from the forest dept. and sometime topo maps can get you where you wanna go. Alot of rides i've had people show me it's always better that way.
I've been thinking recently of posting maps of assorted rides like Devils Gulch and Green Mt. and such, with basic info, directions....
we'll see.....

but yah i'm up in them hills all thru the summer riding them trails, it's a blast, we'll definately hook up for some riding.
:thumb: