Quantcast

"SIC-NESS" Crankset - An original crankset from SIC

ReVolVeRage

Monkey
Dec 28, 2006
MD/ NYC

Whoa! Just went to go check their website (http://www.sicusa.com/) and this message appeared. It sure looks like the boys SIC have been hard at work in Frederick! These definitely aren't cookie cutter cranks, thats for sure! :rofl: Kind of reminds me of Saints, I dig em'!

Hopefully, SIC is making a comeback after being low-key there for a while, they're an awesome company.
:cheers:

I'm curious to hear peoples thoughts!

ZHendo

Turbo Monkey
Oct 29, 2006
PNW
i'm not sure i see the point of having a crank arm as wide as a loaf of bread, but the cnc work looks pretty good. i hope they come back, their stuff was simple yet very nice looking.

mandown

Poopdeck Repost
Jun 1, 2004
Transylvania 90210
probably needs to be that wide to be stiff. since it isn't a hollow crank, they need to find a way to make it stiffer than it would be if it was a single solid rod of metal. to do that they need to expand the front/rear dimension so it doesn't flex under pedaling. they need to make the left/right dimension wide too so it doesn't have lateral flex either. the result = the I-Beam shape it appears to have.

MinorThreat

Turbo Monkey
Nov 15, 2005
Nine Mile Falls, WA
It's a marvel of how to set up a CNC machine to make art for sure. I would just wonder, since it it appears to have been carved out of an unmanipulated block of billet, if it's up to the strength of something that has been cold-forged, grain-aligned and manipulated for the purpose.

S.K.C.

Turbo Monkey
Feb 28, 2005
Pa. / North Jersey
Yeah - I saw that the other day... Jesus those things look like they mean business...

In all seriousness though, I'm sure the SIC guys have taken this into account. The cranks definitely look like no other - some very cool CNC work on there. It'll be interesting to see what the specs are.

...say... didn't the B1/Petespeed gearbox bike have some super-wide looking cranks on it???

My ankles hurt just looking at those.
...ankles are so five minutes ago. Sam isn't running any for 08' - they're just extraneous...

:biggrin:

zahgurim

Underwater monkey
Mar 9, 2005
lolAsia
These cranks have been in the works since '04. Good to see them coming up for production.

Pst...camodized?

dw

Wiffle Ball ninja
Sep 10, 2001
MV
Great group of guys, its good to see it all coming together for them.

Dave

SuspectDevice

Turbo Monkey
Aug 23, 2002
Roanoke, VA
I saw the FEA modeling on these things this summer. Strongest fully machined crank out there. Which isn't necessarily something to sniff at. Think about the costs of forgings. I just did, and now I have to poop.

Tetreault

Monkey
Nov 23, 2005
SoMeWhErE NoWhErE
i wanted a set of these since i first saw them in 04, and have traded multiple emails with the guy over there since then about when i could get my self a set, and kept getting the answer.... soon... thank god they are back and maybe i will finally get my hands on a couple sets!

Nov 28, 2007
Finksmister, Maryland
I checked out the proto last year, they're not my cup of tea design wise (I like it simple) but count on it being a reliable product. As for weight it wasn't earth shattering light nor universe binding heavy.