Quantcast

Single lever/ dual brake idea's??

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
Mangled my left hand at work. Surgery in febuary. Not a chance in hell of me squeezing a front brake lever any time soon.

Anyone have any idea's of a mix matched lever/calipers combo that would make this work? I'm pretty sure i can make a splitter for the hose, so basically, what I would need is a lever that pushes ALOT of fluid, and a caliper that takes very little (about half to be exact).

idea's?

sanjuro

Tube Smuggler
Sep 13, 2004
SF
There have been plenty of stories about riders who have lost a hand or an arm but kept on riding.

Finding one of those tales and contacting the rider would be the way to go...

xy9ine

Turbo Monkey
Mar 22, 2004
vancouver eastside
you could bolt 2 levers together a la stacy kohut's rig:

orrr... some brakes have bleed screws & line fittings the same size (these are hopes) that allow bridging the two together with standard fittings (though your rear brake line would be really long - from the front to rear caliper). no idea how this would work in practice.

Sandwich

Pig my fish!
Staff member
May 23, 2002
borcester rhymes
check out grimeca brakes. They make a tandem setup that allows one lever to control both brakes. That might be perfect for you.

caseyo

Monkey
Feb 14, 2007
Reno
Run avid BB7's with half a gyro. Byron Cross, a guy with one arm, one hook in Mt. Shasta CA rides like this. You can tune the pads easily to make the rear hit a bit before the front, or however else you wanna set it up. How do you plan to grip though?

CKxx

Monkey
Apr 10, 2006
check out grimeca brakes. They make a tandem setup that allows one lever to control both brakes. That might be perfect for you.
Yep. They have a version of the 6-pot brakes that works both brakes, proportionally, with each lever.

FOXROX

Turbo Monkey
Jun 23, 2007
hambur,nj
i saw a guy at diablo.. he had both levers on the same side on on top of the other... one was in a little bit more then the other ... 1 finger breaking ..i thought it was a good idea

Tmsracing37

Chimp
Jan 24, 2007
Hagerstown/McConnellsburg
I purchased this mechanical dual pull lever on ebay for 12 bucks in total. They are made by Pyramid. I run the lever with a set of Avid bb5’s. I have tinkered with them for a while and have found that I the best way to control brake basis is running different rotor sizes vs. cable tension. I like to use an 8” rotor in the back and 7 inch in front.

http://i189.photobucket.com/albums/z162/Tmsracing37/junkyarddog6.jpg

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
it looks like a dual bb7's maybe the way to go, plus I can put my machinist buddy to work to make me a cool ass cnc machined lever.

just for kicks, anyone have any info on the grimeca stuff? can't find anything, and the website is in italian.

thanks for all your help

Fulton

Monkey
Nov 9, 2001
How do you plan to grip though?
my middle and index fingers are broken ( in 4 spots), and i did some tendon damage as well. That leaves me with my ring and pinkie finger, and I have about 50% strength in my thumb, to hold the bar, gonna be interesting!