Quantcast

single speed gearing ratios?

The gearing choice really depends on the type riding and what the trails are like in your area.

I know the urban guys run quite different gearing than the trail guys. I'm not familiar with Urban gearing, so I'll tell you what I know about the trail gearing.

2:1 ratio seems to be real popular in California, but up here in the Northwest, that gear is a bit big for the trails we have. I have found 1 rear tooth, or 2 front teeth, smaller than the usual 2:1 works great.

Remember, you only have 1 gear. You can't have a good climber that will bomb down hills with just 1 gear. I find it best to find a gear you can stay ontop of through the flat and slightly rolling hills in your area. Some hills you won't climb, And you're gonna coast down ALL the hills.

unusualpunk

Chimp
Dec 21, 2003
at your girlfriends house
Originally posted by PsychO!1

2:1 ratio seems to be real popular in California, but up here in the Northwest, that gear is a bit big for the trails we have. I have found 1 rear tooth, or 2 front teeth, smaller than the usual 2:1 works great.
let me know if this is right. if I ran 30-16, it would the same as 36-18?

E

endtroducing

let me know if this is right. if I ran 30-16, it would the same as 36-18?
no, 30-16 is slightly easier than 36-18. For riding around baltimore (mostly offroad) i ride 36-18 with a 24" rear wheel. I can ride up just about anything around here (once) and if i can't its a matter of fitness, not gearing. For mostly street/city/dj, 36-17 will treat you real nice. A little stiff on grades, but enough gear that you aren't totally spinning out on flats. My best advice though is to grab yourself some cheap BMX cogs and experiment.
Everyone has their own comfort zone.

Enginerd A2

crappy
Feb 20, 2002
Ann Arbor, MI
2:1 is the norm. That's what I'm running in flat Michigan, and it works well enough everywhere except really steep or slippery climbs. I can keep up with gears pretty well while spinning on the flats, but the above post is right, you will be coasting down most descents. You can always go a tooth (or two) up or down in the back. Trail riding on a SS is all about carrying speed and momentum. I usually have to accelerate hard right before a steep climb to make it up clean.