Quantcast

Single Speed Roll Call !!!

J

JRB

Here's mine - I tried a Rennen tensioner today, but it isn't going to work. I ordered a new surly. Someday I may get a real frame. May look into horizontal dropouts for this one.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Ars, Jace, you guys up for some snowy SS XC goodness this winter? If we actually get snow that is. I guess otherwise we'd have to settle for plain old SS XC goodness.

jace

Chimp
Sep 5, 2004
md/va
BikeGeek said:
Ars, Jace, you guys up for some snowy SS XC goodness this winter? If we actually get snow that is. I guess otherwise we'd have to settle for plain old SS XC goodness.
most certainly.

I was actually on the trail as the first flakes of last season began to fall - definitely one of my more memorable rides.

largerthan9

Monkey
Dec 10, 2002
Mine is a 2000 Schwinn Homegrown
Sid
XT brakes
XT Cranks 32t
XT hubs 517 rims
Azonic bar, stem, Seatpost
Flite saddle,
Shimano DX rear cog 16t
Halflink'd whipperman chain
WTB racing raptors
ODI Ruffians

For the road I rock 1998 Bianchi Reparto Corsa Columbus SLX road bike
Full Campy parts fixxed gear No brakes! 42x15

My bikes are so light and quiet it is really hard for me to get on my full squish bikes.

My girl is building up the new Bianchi PUSS (Im kinda envious)
and she rocks a specialized langster fixxed on the road.

Westy

the teste
Nov 22, 2002
Sleazattle
'97 Litespeed Ocoee
Mars platinum fork
Surly singulator
Hutchinson Mosquito 2.3" tires

21lbs or so

Love the bike, so light and nimble but I hate the fork. Thinking about going rigid or finding a used Fox.

Nov 5, 2004
hartlepool, uk
dmr trailstar,
shiver sc's
c2's
24-7 cranks

although i have an xc bike, this sometimes go xcing and its a bit of a hog, but good fun overall!! :D:D

EDIT: the link doesnt work, but im sure none of you are too lazy to get it working!!!
it has a new 24-7 saddle, maxxis bling bling tyre and new dmr grips now!!

bdee

Chimp
Nov 26, 2004
These are my three singles, all converted and using derailleurs as tensioners (the horror!). Two Schwinn thermoplastic project undergrounds and a '94 aluminum project underground. 32X18, 32X17 and 36X20. Fun bikes, and yes I do find (make) the time to ride them frequently.

Attachments

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
brake_and_bleed said:

EDIT: the link doesnt work, but im sure none of you are too lazy to get it working!!!
it won't work for img tags, but try using http://tinyurl.com in the future to shrink down such hideous links.

my single speed rig is my evil. 36-18 works without a tensioner in the middle dropout setting, so that's what i run. this fun pic was from when i had the monster on it for kicks. it usually gets by with an '02 Z1 FR

Sir_Crackien

Turbo Monkey
Feb 7, 2004
alex. va. usa.
heres my single speed. i know is a burly bike but running SS has made it so much more fun to ride(i never loose the chain now!)

ratio= 32-15 but i run a 24" in the rear
the frame is a banshee morphine

pic

Bikael Molton

goofy for life
Jun 9, 2003
El Lay
Here's a pic of my Azonic Steelhead that I just built up for urban use. It will be replaced with an Evil Sovereign in late January (fingers crossed).
I know the steerer is too long - it's been cut since the pic was taken

specs:
36T ring w/ 16T shi!mano bmx cog (switch to 20 for trail use)
Azonic Steelhead ProXL - $120 shipped from eBay auction
03 Z1
180mm Profiles with E13 crown & bash / FSA Euro Pro BB
Avid mechanicals
Thomson stem / Protapers
cheap kalloy seatpost
ripped WTB Rocket saddle
Kenda K-rads
XT disc hubs with F219 rims
etc.

my townie is an '04 Redline Monocog with a few upgrades:
.243 racing bars, redline bmx stem for the "big old bmx" look.
front brake removed
PC-7X chain
Blackspire chainring (36T)
Adventure Components F/W - 16T
Kenda K-Rads 2.3

I'll get pics of the Mono soon.
-rob in NYC

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
loco said:
Here's mine - I tried a Rennen tensioner today, but it isn't going to work. I ordered a new surly. Someday I may get a real frame. May look into horizontal dropouts for this one.

pffft. screw tensioners and so on. if you're gonna' spend the $$ to have the frame converted, just have a wheel built instead.....

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/white-hubs.html

i'm using one of these on a vert drop road frame as my road fixie. works wonderfully well! no slippage at all, even with fixed gear backpedalling.

oh yeah; edited to add: three of my five bikes are SS, and two of those three are fixed. pics forthcoming in a day or two.

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Cannondale '04 1FG stripped down and rebuilt with my parts spec,...
Headshok Ultra waiting to be replaced by LeftyDLR ti from other bike
1st wheel set: Paul disc hubs, Mavic X823 rims (26"), Conti Escape/Explorer tires
2nd wheel set: Paul disc hubs, Mavic Open Pro (700c), Ritchey CX tires
Avid Discs, thompson post, Answer carbon bars, XTR levers, etc,... sweet
Just switched from 38-18 to 36-18 (mtb) 38-15 (road)

btw, anyone got a Large '03 with the 'comfortable' seatstays they want to trade for a Large '04 with the 'assault' stays?

oh, and...

Univega '89 Road Frame Fixie (for that early Spring training)
Dura-Ace Fixed Rear hub and old '93 XTR Front hub laced to Mavic MA3s
42-16

No pics now, use your imagination

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
loco said:
Loco - that's sweet looking!

I'd hang on to that dean and maybe you can get the dropouts converted or replaced real cheap by someone like Spicer or Tom Teesdale etc. etc.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
PsychO!1 said:
Here is my Bontrager right after the restoration. It's changed a bit since this pic. I'm now running a wide riser bar, ENO hub (no ghetto tensioner), and fat rubber.

[edit] can't figure out how to post pic from my managed attachments....here is a link to another thread with pic.

http://www.ridemonkey.com/forums/showthread.php?t=59180
you gotta post some updated photos of your Bontrager with the ENO hub in use.

I love the look of those Bontrager frames - there is just something so special about their look. I bet they feel as good as they look too.

NotQuiteJdm

Monkey
Mar 25, 2004
Maryland
I've got too much school work and the bike is dirty so here is a recent pic of me riding it.

03 large P.1 (32x16)
odi lock ons
tooth fairy bash
avid front brake
launch front/hookworm rear tires
soon to have new fork, bars, wheels, seat/seatpost, pedals and rear brake!

I feel bad for you people converting to SS...all the problems *sigh* I got my P complete for $300 brand new

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
Some pics. My fixed Crosscheck commuter, complete with fenders and rack.

My Bianchi vert drop frame converted to fixed with the White Industries ENO eccentric hub.

My Ionic Johnny Rotten EBB/disc mountain SS, with a few action shots.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
MMcG said:
Nice action shots. I like that Johnny Rotten
thanks; it's a great frame, and i'm extremely happy with it. though i have to be careful-it's NOT up to the same abuse my other bike is, so i have to remind myself of that sometimes when i want to hit something on it. if i did another, i'd have more tire room, and a slightly gussetted headtube added. it's what i use for a lot of my long/high rides, and any racing i get the urge to do. 22 pounds with the sussy fork, about 20.5 when i run it rigid. 32x20 gear for me here in colorado. lets me do some high up climbing rides a lower gear wouldn't allow.

except i had to spread/crimp the rear chainstays to give bit more tire room. i can get a 2.3" now, depending on maker. running 2.25 IRC trailbear now. ionic (same as DEAN- dean are the ti frames/ionic are the steel frames out of their factory) wouldn't help me out there, so i did it myself. carefully. it's steel, so should be fine..........

Oct 26, 2001
God Hole NC
Here is my Soul Cycles Hardline although it has evolved since this pic with a 2003 Z-1 and some Crossroc tubless wheels. I am planning on adding to the single speed collection in the next few months and building up something really light to race and converting this one to rigid to take to the bmx track :devil:

Oct 26, 2001
God Hole NC
scrublover said:
nice! love the brushed/shiny/silver finish! paint, or is it just brushed and shined up?
It was just brushed and had a coating of stuff on in. It was pretty much prepped for paint. About a month or so after I had it I found that one of the weld beads on the ht gussest was cracked probably from not cooling right or something. Even though it was nothing structural, the guys at Soul were super helpful and replaced the frame with a chocolate colored one. I have to give them an A+ for excellent customer service.

As it turns out, I think things worked out better this way since it was looking like that raw finish was going to take a lot of work to maintain.

J

JRB

scrublover said:
pffft. screw tensioners and so on. if you're gonna' spend the $$ to have the frame converted, just have a wheel built instead.....

http://www.sheldonbrown.com/harris/white-hubs.html

i'm using one of these on a vert drop road frame as my road fixie. works wonderfully well! no slippage at all, even with fixed gear backpedalling.

oh yeah; edited to add: three of my five bikes are SS, and two of those three are fixed. pics forthcoming in a day or two.
I wondered how well those hubs held. I don't want to be an expensive experiment.

scrublover

Turbo Monkey
Sep 1, 2004
loco said:
I wondered how well those hubs held. I don't want to be an expensive experiment.

check over at ww.mtbr.com on the SS board. lots of use of these hubs over there, with alot of good info.

alot of folks seem to have had great success with them; i know mine has been great. i'd have no problems using one offroad, based on how well it's worked on my fixed gear.

martini

Chimp
Nov 30, 2004
'Sconni
I've got a few:
Rick Hunter EBB, 29"

Kona Major Jake ENO'd out

Trek Fixxed/free

AMF townie

Of course, they ALL look different now. Different cranks, gearing, stems, bars, fenders....like any bike geek things change on a regular basis.

I've got a circa 1992ish diamondback axis that i'm setting up (again) as my commuter/CX bike. mountainbike frame and rigid fork, 700c wheels, caliper brakes, 16t bmx freewheel and a 38t ring. i put 42mm wide CX tires on it when it had gears and it was an awesome XC bike, i cant wait to get my hands on a chain tentioner. i also just got a set of FSA x-drives for my soul cycles hardline.

fatpandas

Chimp
Sep 8, 2004
atlanta
here's my commuter made from spare parts and a frame that got abandoned. I had to buy the eno hub and got a super deal on the next LPs.