Quantcast

Single Speed Vertical Dropouts

Discussion in 'BMX & Dirt Jumping' started by robbietaylor, Aug 15, 2007.

1. robbietaylor

robbietaylor Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    alright i got the kit for the sproket and everything and have put it on i just need a tensioner to keep the chain tight.
    anyone got an idea and the i need an idea that well last.
    thanks alot!

Please register to disable this ad.

2. seankelly

seankelly Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    uhh buy a chain tensioner

3. robbietaylor

robbietaylor Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    well wat i am asking is wats the best one?

4. Mr Tiles

Mr Tiles I'm a beer snob

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    surly is cheap, soulcraft is the best IMO...

5. jeremyb

jeremyb Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Tensioners are wrong, the whole point of going singlespeed is to get rid of complication, some playing around with chainrings and rear cogs will give you a ratio that has good chain tension, theres calculators on the net to do it for you as well, takes into account chainstay length etc.. :)

6. robbietaylor

robbietaylor Chimp

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    thanks for the help guys

7. fiddy_ryder

fiddy_ryder Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    but you cant always get the ratio you want. If thats the case, get a single half link which can help alot. you can run a tensioner or you can use a ghost ring.

8. BikeSATORI

BikeSATORI Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Rennen is where it's at for a vert. dropout tensioner.

spring tensioned ones like the surly are junk, more like chain catapults, not tensioners.

DMR also makes a good fixed one too that bolts to the der. hanger like the Rennen Rollenlager.

jeremyb has a point about the simplification, but I'm assuming you haven't actually done this. You can indeed find a "magic" ratio, but it is compromising what you actually want to ride, not to mention that as the teeth wear and the chain stretches, then what do you do when your chain is too slack? go buy a new ring and cog for the next magic ratio? no, just get a Rennen Rollenlager and have solid tension no matter your chainstay length or gear ratio. ;)

9. don

don Turbo Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 0
    I've done a bunch of singlespeed conversions over the years and totally agree w/ what BikeSATORI says. The Rennen device works awesome and is actually more stable than having no device at all as it wraps the chain around the rear cog more. That is if you use it "pushing" into the chains rather than pulling. A side benefit w/ the Rennen is that it gives a very nice feel on when cranking - solid is a good word to describe it.

I've even used it w/ slotted rear dropouts to get a shorter chainstay and/or not worry about a half-link. And I don't need to use a axle pull/tensionsers.

As far as being complicated, I would say w/ vertical dropouts and a rear disk brake it's most likely less complicated to get the rear wheel in and out than with slotted drops, rear disk, and axle pull type chain tensioners.

10. ThePriceSeliger

ThePriceSeliger Mushhead

Rep/Likes:
    4 / 0
    I loved my Rennen because it was so clean. But it gave me nothing but problems. It wouldn't stay tight for 30 minutes of dirt jumping. It was so nice looking, but worked like crap.

11. dirtjumper202

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Rennen All The Way I Have Broke 2 Surly, 1 Dmr, 1 Soulcraft!!

12. jeremyb

jeremyb Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0

I was pretty lucky with my DMR Trailstar LT, I could run 32:16 with really good tension, I think you can get complete half link chains which might be an option :)

13. max123

max123 Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Does anybody know if there are halflinks available for 8 speed chains, Im using vertical drop outs with a gusset tensioner, a single speed blackspire 34t ring and a gusset conversion kit, the 8 speed chain was the only one that wud fit with the tensioner and chainring right, and now Im trying switching to using a ghost ring, and I have a 22t ghost ring, and the chain would be perfect to work with that if I had one half link in my chain. Without a half link it is either too loose to use a 22t ghost ring or way too small(when it's too small I can't move the ghost ring anycloser to the rear).

14. Gunner

Gunner Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    2 / 0
    Rennen all the way. I've had the tensioner and the single speed conversion kit by them for 3 years now and havent touched it ONCE. It definitely feels solid and is a very clean setup. George at Rennen is a super cool dude as well, def support the rider owned companies!

15. w00dy

w00dy In heaven there is no beer

Rep/Likes:
    5 / 20
    Edit: add photo.

Second vote for running a ghost ring. Simple, tough, and wicked cool to look at.

16. jeremyb

jeremyb Monkey

Rep/Likes:
    0 / 0
    Random!