Quantcast

Singlespeed World Championship 2005

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
State College, PA. Who's going? I don't see myself doing the race, but I do see myself having a great time and drinking beers :thumb:

Edited to add the date: Aug 20-21

Angus

Jack Ass Pen Goo Win
Oct 15, 2004
South Bend
I am giving a Firm maybe, I am moving and starting my own company in 2005 so I am not sure how well funded I will be at race time .... :nopity:

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
I'm so in. Even if I'm in Boise, I'm flying back for that. $30 gets you a belt buckle, a shirt, beer stein, and beer. Can't beat that deal with a stick.

Echo, why no riding there.?I'm sure you won't finish DFL (there are supposed to be something like 30,000 people there)

Echo

crooked smile
Jul 10, 2002
Slacking at work
Nate at RIT said:
Echo, why no riding there.?I'm sure you won't finish DFL (there are supposed to be something like 30,000 people there)
Dude I'll be riding, but I ain't doin' no 23 mile race with a 13 mile climb. That does not sound conducive to quality drinking time.

HRDTLBRO

Turbo Monkey
Feb 4, 2004
Apt. 421
With 13 mile climb comes 13 mile descent, my friend. :D I'd like to come, but i'll be at the shoe full of snow, er...mud.

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
There's a 13 mile climb? Where are they gonna come up with a 13 mile climb in PA? I might go just for that.

PsychO!1 said:
Do the winners get tattoos like the old days when Marla and Travis won it???
They got them last year, and I don't think a break in tradition is in the cards. Guess I'll have to not win. ;)

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
Probably 13 miles of climbing, not all at once. PA doesn't have extended climbs. It's all about rolling hills, esp down at State College. The only you could come up with 13 miles of climbing in a shot would be if it was at .25% grade. Echo, time to man up, and start climbing on the SS. Spin classes with pretty girls don't do that for you.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Keep an eye on the official site posted above and riderx's site for more info. I grabbed this press release from SSO.

The Single Speed World Championships for 2005 will be
held in State College, PA on August 20th & 21st. This
year will mark the first ever visit to the East for
the SSWC and promises to offer a challenging course in
the East Coast tradition. Racers can expect
challenging climbs, rock strewn ridges, and fast,
tricky descents.

As usual, the event will focus around the main event
(25+ mile single loop) designed by local single
speeders to highlight the finest trails available.
Back from past years will be the Derby to help decide
the location for 2006- be ready to throw down. Men’s
and women’s titles will be decided on the now infamous
Go-Cart track (from the East Coast Single Speed
Championship of the Universe)- racers will have to
qualify for the opportunity to battle in the cars,
eliminating “Pro” racers from an easy day of it.

We would also like to offer any professional bike
racer under suspension for illegal drugs by the UCI
free entrance into the event. Yup, we know your pain
and would like to offer the rare chance to attain a
World Title while under suspension. In fact, let us
know your favorite drugs and we just might be able to
have some waiting. Also, Jan Ulrich- patron saint of
single speeding. With that grinding single speed
climbing style, watching you push those gears brings a
tear to our eyes...free beer for you, my friend. You
are our hero and a true single speeder at heart.

Like Nate said, no huge climbs but definitely some gut-busters. Expect lots of rocks. They're not so good, but here's a couple of pics I took of the "trail" in the area known as "The Gap."

Attachments

wooglin

Monkey
Apr 4, 2002
SC
Nate at RIT said:
Probably 13 miles of climbing, not all at once. PA doesn't have extended climbs. It's all about rolling hills
That's not nearly as much fun. I've got it penciled in, but its two weeks or so before the Shenandoah 100, which is closer and less likely to take such a toll on my body. The riding will be brutal either way, but the hangover will be so much worse at SSWC. :)

riderx

Monkey
Aug 14, 2001
Fredrock
Let me say this, the course will be modeled after the East Coast SS Championship of the Universe that those boys put on the past two years. Think Punk Bike Enduro. It's been a hell of a lot of fun in the past and sure to be multiplied by a factor of 10. Don't miss it! And don't take the word race too seriously...

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
riderx said:
Let me say this, the course will be modeled after the East Coast SS Championship of the Universe that those boys put on the past two years. Think Punk Bike Enduro. It's been a hell of a lot of fun in the past and sure to be multiplied by a factor of 10. Don't miss it! And don't take the word race too seriously...
So I take it you and your crew will be there? :thumb: Do you ever see Roel anymore?

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
riderx said:
That's the plan. But who is Roel? :confused:
My bad. Roel is a MORE member that helped get me in to SS. I could have sworn I met him on a ride that you led and just assumed he was a regular on your rides. He moved about a year ago and I lost track of him.

Nate at RIT

Monkey
Oct 8, 2003
bending stuff in the ROC
riderx said:
Think Punk Bike Enduro
Sweet. I've got my bike all lined up for it. Gotta follow up my fixie repsentin' in the Punk Bike Enduro, except I think this time I'll go with 26"s, not a 'cross bike. Actually it'll be the same frame, just different wheels and bars.

Left side drive fixie mtb. :evil: Should be fun.

Nov 4, 2003
I better meet everyone of you RideMonkey Vixens that are coming to State College for this drunkfest/race. Bar tours are courtsey of me, 22 downtown, 44 in the State College area. I will be racing, err, trying to come in DFL. This is going to ROCK.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Agentorangemen said:
Bar tours are courtsey of me, 22 downtown...
Zeno's is a must. Considering how much some of us like trying new beers, I don't know if we'll make it out of there. :D

Are you a townie or a student?

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Agentorangemen said:
Student, but I'm staying for my PhD. so I will basically be a townie by the end of that.
Your mission, should you choose to accept it: get the scoop on what trails will be part of the course, then lead a Ridemonkey pre-ride in June or July. :)

Nov 4, 2003
BikeGeek said:
Your mission, should you choose to accept it: get the scoop on what trails will be part of the course, then lead a Ridemonkey pre-ride in June or July. :)
This was an idea I had. Does anyone here on the board know who I could contact to find out which trails will be part of the race? As soon as I get away from my damn Undergraduate Thesis I'm going to go around to the local bike shops and see if they have any information, or even know about, the race. I have seen a few SS'ers around campus, but never had the time to try and talk to them about the race. If I do find out the course, I'm planning on hiking it, mapping it, and taking some pictures along the way, and then posting what I found on my PSU webpage. I'll keep the board informed of my progress.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Agentorangemen said:
This was an idea I had. Does anyone here on the board know who I could contact to find out which trails will be part of the race? As soon as I get away from my damn Undergraduate Thesis I'm going to go around to the local bike shops and see if they have any information, or even know about, the race. I have seen a few SS'ers around campus, but never had the time to try and talk to them about the race. If I do find out the course, I'm planning on hiking it, mapping it, and taking some pictures along the way, and then posting what I found on my PSU webpage. I'll keep the board informed of my progress.
I think they're keeping wraps on the exact course, but I know the guys at Nittany Wheelworks are involved and might be willing to give you hints. I saw a thread in the Dirt Rag forums about the race. One of the guys involved in planning the course would only offer up a map of Rothrock. :think:

Nov 4, 2003
THEY POSTED THE MAP!!! I am excited. I hope to get out there the weekend after Easter (UG Thesis is due 05/01/05). I haven't checked out the rest of the site, so I am going there now, just wanted to let you guys know!

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Agentorangemen said:
THEY POSTED THE MAP!!! I am excited. I hope to get out there the weekend after Easter (UG Thesis is due 05/01/05). I haven't checked out the rest of the site, so I am going there now, just wanted to let you guys know!
Sweet. That climb up Longberger is gonna be fun. :rolleyes: At least it flattens out a bit before you hit the rock gardens near Bear Meadow. I'll drop you a note when I can get up that way again...probably May or June.

1speed

Chimp
Oct 1, 2001
boulder
I can't wait! The course looks sweet. Takes me back to my East Coast roots in a literal way. Wonder if Travis is going to show up? Could be a good battle going on. It will be hard to just drop in from here (CO) and ride a totally different style trail but I can't wait. Hopefully the trail won't throw me down and spread me like butter across the rocks and roots. See you all there!

ps:riderx, tt better make it up for the race!

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
Latest Update!

It's been a while since the last update so here it is! The trails are
open and pumped with green here in Central PA, the route has been set,
sponsors are bucking up, and planning is taking strides to bring you the
finest event we can.

Due to the overwhelming interest and sheer number of people we are
going to have to be more official than ever so bear with us. Registration
will be handled by http://www.bikereg.com and you have to attain a user
I.D. with them PRIOR to being able to proceed. The event registration
is scheduled to open June 1 at 5:00pm (eastern time). As of now
registration will be limited to 400 riders. Check http://www.sswc05.com for
more info.

In the past routes have varied from year to year and this will be no
exception. One loop around Rothrock State Forest in 27 miles will leave
even the pro riders wondering why they have to leave at the end of the
event. Featuring a 6 mile ridge top trail, the lush East Coast forests
are full with rhododendron and hemlock groves, porcupines, white tail
deer, and the occasional black bear. Be ready for stout climbs, rock
gardens, and trails to remember for a lifetime.

Sponsors are backing the event more each week. As of now
Fisherbikes.com has stepped up as the Official Bike Sponsor with a RIG going to the
male and female winners as well as a ton of goodies for everyone.
Speaking of winning (and whining), lets hit this one last time. The top
placing will be determined on the go-cart track. If you're one of the few
whining 'cause you're super fast and you've been training all year and
what does go-cart racing have to do with real mountain biking anyway-hit
the NORBA nationals. Top 20 men racers and 10 random riders will do
battle in 3 heats advancing to the final heat of chaos (and driving). The
same for thee women with the top 10 doing battle on the track in one
fabulous heat!

Dirt Rag has laid out plans to organize rides on Friday Aug 19th in
Pittsburgh...more on that to come.

Rumor has it there will be a scavenger hunt before/during/after the
welcome party on Aug 20th. We're still searching out a bar big enough for
the masses more on that to come as well. There will be rides being led
all day on the 20th and maybe the 19th if my ulcer stays
manageable-official schedule due out soon. If you show up early we'll send you
riding and let you know where the bars are.

Stay relaxed. Remember- some pro is gonna kick everyone's ass and some
woman is gonna beat you too. The trails are worth the trip, you will
have fun, and if you complain about anything at all the Penn State
Cycling Club is gonna drag you into the woods and beat you silly. See you
this August 20/21rst!

peter6061

Turbo Monkey
Nov 19, 2001
Kenmore, WA
Got that email too. I was wondering if anyone was going to post it...

It's going to fill up right away.

Should be fun.

So when are the scheduled trips up for preride? Just trying to fit a few more rides into my already jam packed riding season.

BikeGeek

BrewMonkey
Jul 2, 2001
Hershey, PA
There's nothing that says we couldn't still go for the drinking and riding if we can't get registered. :D The riding in that area is awesome, and the drinking? Well, it is a college town. I can recall at least 20 bars all within a short walk of each other.

Slider

Monkey
May 23, 2004
Moscow, ID
Echo said:
Damn!

Maybe they just figure it's two totally different crowds?

ughh ammm I happen to have a Giant DH Comp and a fully rigid 1992 cannondale m400 SS and would not trade iether for the world. I have came to the conclusion that is why god created Omni Presence, hence the phrase "Jesus Christ on a bicycle." God's a rider and and we all know it in the cockles of our hearts

---------------------------------------------------------------------

You want ridding and a drinkin town go to athens OHIO "Ohio University"
-court street 27 bars on 3 blocks
-Lake hope state park
-cycle path bike shop

(go in the fall when school is in session)
[/list]