Quantcast

Sinister Simon Bar 29

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
I finally have a 29er! I love how it rides. :)

Specs:
•Sinister Simon Bar 29 frame by FTW 4.5lbs
•RockShox Reba 100mm
•Chris King headset 134g
•Salsa Pro Moto carbon 11° bars 126g
•Hope stem 157g
•ODI Rogue lock-on grips with Straightline End caps
•Hope Mini brakes w/ power clamps, 165mm rotors, Dangerboy levers & KoolStop pads
•Race Face Turbine LP isis cranks 175mm
•Race Face Signiture XS bottom bracket
•Spot 32t hard ano chainring & alloy chainring bolts
•Spot bash guard & N-gear jump stop
•Shimano XT cassette 11-34
•Shimano XT rear derailleur short cage, alloy lower pulley & bolts
•Sram PC 89R hollow pin hollow link chain
•Shimano XT shifter, no indicator, alloy bolt 93g
•Selle San Marco Era Nitetrain saddle
•Thomson seatpost w/ Salsa lip lock clamp
•Nokon full length shift housing
•Dark Cycles Arachnid pedals 415g
•WTB Laser Disc 29" 32H rims laced to Hope Pro II hubs with DT Swiss SuperComp spokes and alloy nipples
•Maxxis Ignitor 2.1 rear & Panaracer Rampage 2.35 front
•Continental 26 tubes
•••Total weight = 24.8 lbs

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
Mighty Nice. Does your front end feel "tall" to you?
The front end feels comfortable to me the way it is set up with salsa flat bars and a zero rise stem with 5mm of spacers under it. The head tube is 4.5" tall and is very strong how it is constructed.
The slope of the top tube might make the front end look higher than it is.

helimech

Chimp
Aug 17, 2006
NICE BUILD. If you don't mind me asking, how much was the frame??? I'm now kicking myself in the ass for buying a niner EMD frame and not this one. This sinister would've been a nice friend to my R9. Thier web site says nothing about a 29er. Later.

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
This is one of six prototype frames made. Production frames should be available in a couple months.
I am not sure what msrp will be.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
NICE BUILD. If you don't mind me asking, how much was the frame??? I'm now kicking myself in the ass for buying a niner EMD frame and not this one. This sinister would've been a nice friend to my R9. Thier web site says nothing about a 29er. Later.
Bullitboyz has one for sale in the classifieds.

Bullitboyz

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
CT. USA
Bullitboyz has one for sale in the classifieds.
hmmmm maybe NOT after looking at these pix!:brows:

only an $850 price tag on a production frame?
that's pretty durned cheap for a Vermont-made piece of art, specially since it costs HIM $700 to fabricate and powdercoat it!

anyways, Rob i have a perty custom pewter Jen Greene headbadge for that bad boy if you're interested...

Bullitboyz

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
CT. USA
hey not to derail this fine thread in another direction, but...

FTW is planning to fabricate the singlespeed sliding dropouts for these frames next week and wants to know who's interested in a set (I would suggest EVERYONE be interested:brows: )

so.. either let Frank know, or pm myself or RJ (tozovr)...

yeah...

helimech

Chimp
Aug 17, 2006
If I get one I'll make a 1 X 9. So when is the frame going to be available and in what size are they gonna come in. Bullit i email FTW on some ? on my R9 and the simon bar but no reply. So by posting here hopefully i'll get some replys. Later.

RJ and FTW were both good on answering my email questions. Since Frank is a busy welder he will certianly take longer to read and respond to emails than most of us desk-jockeys who get to surf the forums all day.

Here's what RJ told me: They are gearing up to have the next bunch of Simon Bar frames ready some time in November. 25 frames total, all hand-made by Frank. There will be mediums and larges. The medium has a 23.6 TT, 16.8" CS length (depending on the drop outs selected), 17.19" Seat tube and a 12.75" BB height. Head tube angle is 72° and the seat tube angle is 72.75° and the bike is tailored around a 100-115mm fork.

Mind you, All of this info is subject to change or correction by those who actually know what they're talking about.

I can't wait until November so I'm working on prying the red frame from Bullitboyz' reluctant grasp. I can't afford some of the bling parts mounted on the other examples posted but I'll post pics of my build(s) anyway. I think I'll start it out as a 1x9 but we'll see where it goes from there.

helimech

Chimp
Aug 17, 2006
Thanks, I know there busy but its been almost 2 weeks. Bruce replied and then I replied but no word back, no big deal.
I would like a simon bar in a large myself, we'll see in nov. later.

ÆX

Turbo Monkey
Sep 8, 2001
NM
man you have a great collection of bikes!

i want those pedals!!!! who makes them again?

how wide are those bars?

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
man you have a great collection of bikes!

i want those pedals!!!! who makes them again?

how wide are those bars?
Alex,
Dark Cycles makes the pedals
The bars are 660mm (26 inches) wide and have 11° bend to them. I spin them forward to give more rise. You would swear that you are not running a flat bar with these, they feel awesome.

Got the frame from Bullitboyz yesterday and, of course, had to start right into getting it set up.

RTS M29 fork with the stickers pulled off
King headset
On-One Mary bar
Oury ODI lock-on grips
36 spoke XT/DT/Rhyno Lite wheels
Avid BB& brakes
Thomson post
Specialized Avatar saddle
Truvativ crank is waiting for the bash-guard.

Can't wait to get the last few bits bolted on and give it a bit of bashing about.

Serial #1!

RD3

Monkey
Nov 30, 2003
PA
Looks nice in red! If you need any simon bar stickers like on my bike, pm me.

MMcG

Ride till you puke!
Dec 10, 2002
Burlington, Connecticut
Let us know how the RST fork works out on the Simon Bar - it looks good - certainly looks like it'll be a stiff fork. did you buy it direct from RST??

BTF

Chimp
Dec 28, 2001
Boston Ma
Got the frame from Bullitboyz yesterday and, of course, had to start right into getting it set up.

RTS M29 fork with the stickers pulled off
King headset
On-One Mary bar
Oury ODI lock-on grips
36 spoke XT/DT/Rhyno Lite wheels
Avid BB& brakes
Thomson post
Specialized Avatar saddle
Truvativ crank is waiting for the bash-guard.

Can't wait to get the last few bits bolted on and give it a bit of bashing about.

Serial #1!
:clapping:Wow! looks great! Post up some pics and ride impressions on the Sinister forum.
http://www.sinisterbikes.com/sbforum/

Let us know how the RST fork works out on the Simon Bar - it looks good - certainly looks like it'll be a stiff fork. did you buy it direct from RST??
As far as I know, the only way to get the M29 at this point is direct from RST. So yes, I did indeed order it direct through their web site.

The RST M29 gives a very stable ride. Not twitchy at all. Not sluggish per se but when you hit roots and rocks you just lean back and blast right through. The Reba had fits in the same stuff, though admittedly it was a different frame, too. On a stretch that threw me on my head once and then steered me into a tree with the Reba, today I sailed right through.

Finally got it all together last night and took it for the first ride this afternoon. Nothing too radical, I just took it to a local park that has a network of single track with a few twisty spots and a few roots and logs to play on. Unfortunately, it also has its fair share or dog walkers so you can't really blast through the trails or you risk flattening a Fido or two.

Picture 1:

At this point I can only compare it to my ScandAl frame with the Reba but impressions so far; The frame is absolutely more rigid than the ScandAl. The M29 fork is absolutely more laterally rigid than the Reba. With a tad bit shorter wheelbase and the cockpit biased a bit towards the rear, it's a better trail machine on the lumpy stuff, easier to get the weight back and float over roots and logs.

As RJ noted elsewhere, the Mary bar ends up really tall on this frame. It feels like a choppa, baby! I think the tall bars take a bit of power away when climbing out of the saddle, too. I'll have to try flipping the stem to get it a bit lower but I like the sweep so it might be hard to give up the Mary. The ScandAl had a higher BB and a shorter head tube so the bars definitely are higher relative to the seat on this build.

Other side picture:

Since I'm a bit more of a smash and bash rider than a finesse rider, this setup seems to fit me pretty good so far.

This is the first time I've tried a 1x9 setup and I'm pleasantly surprised that I don't really miss the granny ring so far. Could have something to do with a couple thousand miles of bike commuting this last year, I suppose.

Last but not least, the most important message of the day:

What rear cassette are you running? 11-34?

How's the beast working out?

RJ
Yeah, I'm running an 11-34 on it.
I haven't had a lot of time to take it to trails where I can really give it a workout. All my ride time this week has been commuting so the Cross Check has been getting the miles. This weekend I'm determined to get some time on it on trails that aren't so flat as the local park that I've been riding in so far.

I also need to get the fork dialed in and would like to try a setback post and shorter stem.

More after the weekend.

TheMauler

Monkey
Sep 20, 2007
Yeah, I'm running an 11-34 on it.
I haven't had a lot of time to take it to trails where I can really give it a workout. All my ride time this week has been commuting so the Cross Check has been getting the miles. This weekend I'm determined to get some time on it on trails that aren't so flat as the local park that I've been riding in so far.

I also need to get the fork dialed in and would like to try a setback post and shorter stem.

More after the weekend.
nice cant wait

Bullitboyz

Monkey
Mar 12, 2003
CT. USA
updated my Simon Bar Sinister:
new wheels, cranks, chainringz..

Rennen cog.
just waiting on the Singlespeed drops... till then it's ghetto chain tensioner.

ceramic coated 180mm XTR cranks with 34t spiderless chainring

verticult

Chimp
Jan 7, 2005
sorry for the "no reply" on the email. some joker reported my email to the spambot army and I stopped using that @sinister acct. You can contact Sinister, RJ (tozover) or find my personal site. Contact your dealer and get 'em to pick up the line so you can get close to all the stuff.. OR you can go to Gloucester CX and see.. oops.. I did it again.. something new and sexy and oh so shaved and ready for mud and blood..

Took Simon Bar #1 out this weekend and just kicked around the city for a few hours. All told I put between 25 and 30 miles on it. Played around at the new Collonade Skills Parkfor an hour or so. I'm gonna keep going back until I figure out why I have no problem with the left-hand switch backs but stall out on the right-handers. On this stuff, the Simon Bar made my my last two 29er frames; an XXIX+G and a ScandAl, feel rather flexy. Simon is nothing if not solid.

It hit me this afternoon that the bike Simon reminds me most, is my orange sting ray that I rode around when I was about 15 years old. (Damn! That was 30 years ago.) It doesn't cruise fast like my Cross-Check (duh) but the fun factor is way up there wherever you're riding. Roll some steps, wheelie-drop a bulkhead or two, every curb gets a bunny hop, and so on. Something tells me the Simon Bar will not suffer the same death of my old Murray Eliminator sting ray, however. Frank's gusseting and beefy welds should keep the head tube from letting go of the rest of the frame when rolling a few steps.

I think this is the funnest bike I've had in many years.