Quantcast

Site upgrade: questions/comments/complaints.

binary visions

The voice of reason
Jun 13, 2002
NC
We're upgrading to vBulletin 4 today. As well as keeping current with the latest version of vBulletin, this will allow us some flexibility in adding new features - and, at long last, a mobile skin. The mobile skin will be worked on after we have the standard install stabilized.

The standard skin is not entirely complete. It's mostly there, but we will be tweaking it. Please post up suggestions here.

It is inevitable that there will be bugs. We will fix them. Please post up bug reports here.

Sound good? People bitching about change because it's change will be ignored. People bitching about appearance or functionality with good cause will be considered.

----------------------------------

Current status [Updated 10/13]:

Fixed issues:

- Multi-quote: FIXED. Works the same way the old one did: check off as many posts as you want, then click "reply with quote" on any one of them.

- Classifieds 404 errors: FIXED. Some links in the classifieds, including the login box, generated 404 errors. These have been corrected.

- New Posts navigation link: FIXED. The sub-navigation bar remains when clicking the "New Posts" link.

- News Ticker: FIXED. A few of the images were not being embedded correctly when posting news articles.

- Attachments: FIXED. There were multiple problems with attachments - embedding didn't work past a certain size, thumbnails were huge, the checkbox to attach an image from a URL directly (which was checked by default). These have been corrected and the checkbox removed (we locally cache a copy anyway so it wasn't necessary).

- Classifieds sub-navigation: FIXED. The sub-navigation bar that has the "what's new" entry among others has been restored.

Open issues:

- List classifieds by user: OPEN. The sub-menu that used to appear when clicking on a username, which allowed you to list all classifieds by a user, is missing.

- NSFW tags: OPEN. On some mobile browsers, the NSFW tags don't operate normally. I will be looking into this.

- Visual issues: OPEN. The VB4 fonts/skins/icons were modified for our color scheme but there are a number of small issues with them. We will be modifying these and trying to improve the readability and the spacing.

Closed issues:

- User CP missing: CLOSED. User CP is now "Settings." We will not be renaming it back to User CP.

- User rep button missing: CLOSED. The rep button is the little sheriff star. We may change this but it is fine for now.

- Narrow format: CLOSED. This is not new, and there are a number of reasons why we do not have a widescreen layout. We may consider it in the future but we are staying with this layout for the time being.

- View Single Post change: CLOSED. The old "view single post" linked you to a post with no context. The new one links you to a post within the thread. I believe this is more functional and have had some agreement so for now, we will stick with this.

IH8Rice

I'm Mr. Negative! I Fail!
Aug 2, 2008
Im over here now
meh..
the background colors make everything seem to blend together. also, where is the "User CP" button?

Last edited:

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
I don't like change!!!!!!! ARGH, nooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!! Facebook was bad enough, but et tu Ridemonkey?

On a more serious note in Chrome 15.0.874.51 beta-m on Windows Vista the icons in the toolbars of this very editable section don't work.

Also the text wraps "too much" - e.g. the word "section" in the above sentence in this editor appears as an "s" at the end of one line and "ection" on the next line.

Toshi

Harbinger of Doom
Oct 23, 2001
Looks good to start. I'd like more font size/prominence differentiation between thread titles, authors/times, and ancillary information (last post, forum, etc.). As it is they're all the same save for bolding of the title, and that's visually distracting, especially with the monochrome background treatment.

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Multi-quote button doesn't work?
I don't even see a multi-quote button anymore. Also, all the tags seem to be gone (youtube, quote, image, etc). As Steve said, color scheme sucks penors.

EDIT - it seems the "User CP" page is gone as well. I found that to be very useful/convenient when navigating the site.

So far not looking very good. :(

Last edited:

'size

Turbo Monkey
May 30, 2007
AZ
meh..
the background colors make everything seem to blend together. also, where is the "User CP" button?
agreed - makes it hard to discern between things.
also user cp and multi quote as mentioned.

Toshi's comments are all spot on as well.

- seb

Turbo Monkey
Apr 10, 2002
UK
No-one else complaining about missing images? Just noticed a load of other icons/buttons etc graphics are missing too. Maybe it's because I'm in the UK, these files haven't propogated across the CDN yet for some reason, or something like that?

Mr Jones

Turbo Monkey
Nov 12, 2007
meh..
I don't even see a multi-quote button anymore. Also, all the tags seem to be gone (youtube, quote, image, etc). As Steve said, color scheme sucks penors.

EDIT - it seems the "User CP" page is gone as well. I found that to be very useful/convenient when navigating the site.

So far not looking very good. :(

User CP has been replaced with "settings" (top right corner, below banner)

norbar

KESSLER PROBLEM. Just cause
Jun 7, 2007
Warsaw :/
agreed - makes it hard to discern between things.
also user cp and multi quote as mentioned.

Toshi's comments are all spot on as well.
Yup. I can see the CP substitute now but the colors are annoying as hell. It makes the forum look less clear and more like a starting phpbb template.

Also I don't see the icons for bold,italic video, etc (I see only font and size).

Also where is the nsfw button?

What's with the "changes made in the editor will be lost" msg when I want to post. VistaMonkey?

syadasti

i heart mac
Apr 15, 2002
VT
FF 7.0

I noticed before I logged in the login button below the username/pass was almost completely cut off - I couldn't read what the button said but guessed it was the login button as it was right below u/p.

Formatting issue on forum column:

CrabJoe StretchPants

Reincarnated Crab Walking Head Spinning Bruce Dick
Nov 30, 2003
Groton, MA
Another small one....separating the actual post section from the username/avatar/info section makes things a bit cleaner/easier to read IMO.

jimmydean

The Official Meat of Ridemonkey
Sep 10, 2001
Portland, OR
My avatar is MIA. It took FOREVER to make that, damn. = FIXED!

No tab navigation = accessibility FAIL.

Last edited:

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
There used to be an option for "whats new" in the classifieds, allowing you to choose how far back you want to view ads. This worked like a "latest ads" feature and worked across all categories.

It doesn't seem to be included in the update.

BikeMike

Monkey
Feb 24, 2006
Suggestion: in the /forums/forum.php view shrink the font size of the "Threads: ##,### / Posts: ###,###" column and/or move it to the right hand side. Those stats are not that interesting. Expand the "last post" column too.

Handlebarsfsr

Monkey
Dec 6, 2004
ct
if you attempt to log in using the panel at the top of the page from the classified home page, it sends you to a not found page. works fine from the forum home page though.