Quantcast

Ski Monkey- Help HAB pick new ones

Full Trucker

Frikkin newb!!!
Feb 26, 2003
Exit, CO
Anybody have time on the Black Crows Anima? That's sounding like a pretty good compromise to me.
I don't but this and the Corvis (or is it the Atris?) are on my short list of skis to demo at some point this year. Anycrap, one of my regular ski buds skis the Atris tele and loves them. They have replaced all his DPS as go-to skis with the exception of really deep backcountry days he still skis a DPS Lotus 120... I think.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle

StiHacka

Compensating for something
Jan 4, 2013
In hell. Welcome!
"You are at the top of a double black diamond–your favorite trail after the groomers lay down fresh corduroy."

That's literally the first sentence. Are there a lot of those groomed double blacks in NE? :rofl:
Personally I have yet to experience one. That article is comedy gold. :D

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Hmmm. That's real tempting.

Edit: So this is the older, metal one?
"For 2017/18, we are proud to relaunch Arne’s signature ski in its original and unaltered state."
2 sheets of titanal, boomshakalaka.
(the past few years were the shape, but without any metal)

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
So, a word of warning about the Volkl Mantras (specifically the fully rockered versions 2015+) - they handle weird in certain situations, handle great in others, and their durability is shit. They're great in deep powdery stuff, and all but useless if you like going fast on groomers. Never had "headshake" on a set of skis until I used those things. Volkl warranty was also absolutely useless too, so never buying any of their crap again.

Now on a set of Blizzard Bonafides, and these things are magic. And seem to be able to take a beating too.

I don't have much to add about powder skis, other than I'm looking for a set for the occasional powder day at Mammoth or June. The Blizzard's have those mountains pretty damn well covered otherwise.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I have no experience skiing in the PNW. I'm a CO guy.

Me recommending you a ski, would be like me recommending you tire pressure.

You do know of Blister gear, right? The review website? Best ski reviews around IMO.

All that said, I can't resist to tell you the sweet skis I have and bros have.

Blizzard Cochise. (108mm underfoot) truly a one-ski quiver, for me.

Armada AK JJ's. Monster truck everywhere.

Oh - and the grooming of double blacks. If it hasn't snowed in a while, I know Vail will groom a single black, Blue Ox. OMG it is pretty freakin sweet.

SkaredShtles

Michael Bolton
Sep 21, 2003
In a van.... down by the river
<snip>
Oh - and the grooming of double blacks. If it hasn't snowed in a while, I know Vail will groom a single black, Blue Ox. OMG it is pretty freakin sweet.
There are quite a few black runs around that get groomed. Rosi's and Formidable at Copper (and occasionally Overlode and half of Triple Treat), Rolex and West Side at Steamboat, Birds of Prey at the Beav, etc.

And you're right - most of those are a HOOT to get on when freshly groomed (with no people) and open up the throttle.

HAB

Chelsea from Seattle
Apr 28, 2007
Seattle
Yeah so I'm thinking a pair of those Bodacious' with alpine bindings for an in-bounds charger, and put AT bindings on my Soul 7s. That makes sense, right?

Probably go with the 186cm Blizzard?

Nick

My name is Nick
Sep 21, 2001
where the trails are
Yeah so I'm thinking a pair of those Bodacious' with alpine bindings for an in-bounds charger, and put AT bindings on my Soul 7s. That makes sense, right?

Probably go with the 186cm Blizzard?
If you're gonna do it, do it. That offer was supposed to be open for 24 hours, so closing this morning.

edit: still open for me. probably FOMO tactics in play.

Last edited:

Kanye West

220# bag of hacktastic
Aug 31, 2006
I have no experience skiing in the PNW. I'm a CO guy.

Me recommending you a ski, would be like me recommending you tire pressure.

You do know of Blister gear, right? The review website? Best ski reviews around IMO.

All that said, I can't resist to tell you the sweet skis I have and bros have.

Blizzard Cochise. (108mm underfoot) truly a one-ski quiver, for me.

Armada AK JJ's. Monster truck everywhere.

I got to demo the Blizzard Cochise last year. They were badass on any of the powdery chunked up terrain but they required a LOT of strength to have fun on groomers. I did a demo of the Bonafide's the same day and still had almost the same fun on the steep shallow powdery stuff. I could see where they would hit their limits though pretty quick.

SylentK

Turbo Monkey
Feb 25, 2004
coloRADo
I got to demo the Blizzard Cochise last year. They were badass on any of the powdery chunked up terrain but they required a LOT of strength to have fun on groomers. I did a demo of the Bonafide's the same day and still had almost the same fun on the steep shallow powdery stuff. I could see where they would hit their limits though pretty quick.
Nice. I agree on the Cochise. I don't mind working a little harder on groomers, tho. I get bored quickly, so trying to lay the perfect carve is fun for me. When tired, I've learned to just let it "slarve". Good enough. LOL